First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JL
Occupation
Retired
Will I had my windshield replace last Friday (Safelite cost $927) and by Saturday (20hrs later) broke it again on HWY 89, don’t know if it’s a record but it should be close🙄
S
Sponsored

Pinion

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 FJ40, 22 Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Project Manager
This is one of the few good things living in Massachusetts.

Pepper23

First Name
Vinny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
Well just had my first windshield replaced with gorilla glass. Very interesting gorilla glass has a little jeep in the bottom right corner and on the left side by the driver you got a big gorilla head the word Gorilla and all the other accompanying statements like acoustic also the word jeep etc. was Done by precision glass. Took less than twenty minutes and was a professional job. Of course here in Fl there’s no cost.
Did they replace it with Gorilla glass because that’s what you originally had or was that an upgrade? I didn’t order Gorilla because my deductible will be $50, I figured I could afford quite a few replacements at that rate, and I could upgrade to Gorilla if I’m motivated, and insurance would cover a good bit of it.

Pepper23

First Name
Vinny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned windshield protection film.
I had wondered about film a bit myself, thanks for the reminder. Have you tried it or heard whether it’s worth it?

HempelNet

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon XR (Crystal Granite)
Occupation
Sr. Security Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I opted for the Gorilla Glass when I had my 22 built, it was $98 option then. Even with this I then got a film to install on the outside and then hit that with rain-X ceramic spray about 4 times over serval days.

I know a perfectly thrown rock will still possibly damage the windshield but at least I can say I took all the available options to prevent it. :)

Sponsored

Pepper23

First Name
Vinny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
I opted for the Gorilla Glass when I had my 22 built, it was $98 option then. Even with this I then got a film to install on the outside and then hit that with rain-X ceramic spray about 4 times over serval days.

I know a perfectly thrown rock will still possibly damage the windshield but at least I can say I took all the available options to prevent it. :)
Thanks. Yeah, I was going to get Gorilla, it was $295 on Jeep’s build page, but when the dealer ran it, it was $595, that’s when I called my insurance carrier. What film did you use and did it go on well?

jlcalifornia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL

Pepper23

First Name
Vinny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
I made it about 7000 miles and then got two rocks in one day on my way from Oregon to St Louis. Within a few hours one crack was already 6 inches, both spread like a wildfire once I got to St Louis. After my $50 deductible I’m back in OEM glass and counting down to windshield number three, see if I can beat the 7000 I got out of the first windshield.

jlcalifornia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL

I got the film on my 2020 as well. I put ceramic pro over the top of it, so its easier to wash/clean off. I went with the DIY windshield film from here: https://www.grab-gard.com/products/jeep-wrangler-windshield

Sponsored

gandk

First Name
Greg and Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
campsite.bio
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon

jlcalifornia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
The website for this film doesn't say, do you know if the film blocks heat too? Also is it durable or do the wipers cause scratches?
I've only had it about 6 months now. I've been happy with the durability. No scratches from the wipers, I always spray when I use them, though, just to be careful. I think the ceramic coating helps, since stuff doesn't really stick to the windshield, so I think it's less likely to scratch that way.

It seems to block some heat, but not to the extent a tint film would. It's clearplex, you can check the manufacturers website for the film itself, I haven't looked to see if they have a rating for that.
Sponsored