Sponsored

First Jeep. Whistling noise while driving.

RW Sting Gray

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sport S
Update: I heard from the dealership and corporate denied replacing the windshield. They want it removed and resealed. Dealership and glass company both confirmed that can’t be done because gasket is attached to windshield. Corporate still refused. Dealership is going to speak to their area rep and I called corporate and opened a case. I told them if they can’t/won’t fix a $50K vehicle with 1,200 miles on it they can have it back. I reported the problem to the dealer right after delivery.
I'm in the same boat. I mentioned this in another thread and JeepCares actually replied to me on there to send them info. I never did but maybe you can try that? Maybe they get involved and get it resolved quicker. I honestly wont get it "fixed" probably, and I only have about 300 miles on it lol.
Idrive with windows down most the time anyway. Also, I took my top off the other day so that wind noise is nothing in comparison lol. Top will stay off as long as possible. Good luck tho, hope it gets resolved.
Sponsored

OP
OP

JeepRock71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Thanks for the info and comments everybody. I spoke with the dealership today. They are in the process of getting a new windshield from the factory and they should have a better timeline on Monday. I will update this thread again once I have more info. Thanks again.

BVGeezer

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU, 1982 FJ40
Occupation
Retired
Our new 2012 Rubi came equipped with a whistle. The dealer had to local mobile glass dude remove and reinstall the factory windshield. All he did was use his cutting tool to break the seal, clean off the old adhesive and reinstall. Didn't need a new windshield. Don't know why things would have changed.

OP
OP

JeepRock71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Our new 2012 Rubi came equipped with a whistle. The dealer had to local mobile glass dude remove and reinstall the factory windshield. All he did was use his cutting tool to break the seal, clean off the old adhesive and reinstall. Didn't need a new windshield. Don't know why things would have changed.
That’s interesting. This is my first Jeep so I don’t know too much about them but what they have told me is that the gasket is actually part of the windshield. Was that the case with yours as well? Thanks for the info.

BVGeezer

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU, 1982 FJ40
Occupation
Retired
That’s interesting. This is my first Jeep so I don’t know too much about them but what they have told me is that the gasket is actually part of the windshield. Was that the case with yours as well? Thanks for the info.
Ok, my feeble 69 year old brain just kicked in. The old windshield didn't have a gasket. I remember seeing a gasket on the replacement windshield for our 2018 JL. So, the whole windshield would need to be replaced.

Sponsored

OP
OP

JeepRock71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok, my feeble 69 year old brain just kicked in. The old windshield didn't have a gasket. I remember seeing a gasket on the replacement windshield for our 2018 JL. So, the whole windshield would need to be replaced.
Hahaha ok. My 47 year old brain isn’t too far behind. Thanks again.

Brad41

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18’ JLUR firecracker red
Hi everyone. I recently purchased my first Jeep a 2018 JLU Sahara. I recently changed jobs and didn’t really need a truck any more so I traded my 2015 Ram 1500 Limited when this bad-boy caught my eye. It’s a really fun vehicle, but starting at around 30 mph there was a loud whistling sound from the windshield or roof area that was driving me nuts. The noise was even there with the freedom panels removed. I have a service appointment set up for a couple of weeks from now. In the meantime I was experimenting and I found that by using painters tape to seal around the windshield I can completely eliminate the whistling noise. I imagine a glass company will have to remove the glass, reseal, and reinstall. I just wanted to share my experience in case someone else is experiencing a similar issue.

5A33C78C-95CE-4907-B981-2DF2E3E0F58C.jpeg
I have 3,800 miles on my rubicon, and this same whistling noise began about 80 miles ago out of nowhere. Kinda sounds like wooden wind chimes rattling together. I taped my windshield same as you, and the noise went away. Thanks for your write-up. It gives me an idea of what I’ll be up against. I have a svc. Appt. tomorrow at 1:30. @JeepCares

OP
OP

JeepRock71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have 3,800 miles on my rubicon, and this same whistling noise began about 80 miles ago out of nowhere. Kinda sounds like wooden wind chimes rattling together. I taped my windshield same as you, and the noise went away. Thanks for your write-up. It gives me an idea of what I’ll be up against. I have a svc. Appt. tomorrow at 1:30. @JeepCares
Wow glad I could help! Good luck with your visit. Please update us when you have more info. I’m hopeful we will both get some good news tomorrow.

OP
OP

JeepRock71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Update: New windshield is due in on Wednesday and should be installed Thursday or Friday. Fingers crossed...

Appointment is now scheduled for Friday morning. I have a couple hour road trip scheduled for Saturday so that will be a good test.

Last edited:

Brad41

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18’ JLUR firecracker red
Update: New windshield is due in on Wednesday and should be installed Thursday or Friday. Fingers crossed...
Good deal...they diagnosed mine as wind coming in on the passenger side a pillar. They said the windshield can be resealed. We’ll see if that happens w/o new glass. Go back on the 21st

Sponsored

OP
OP

JeepRock71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Update 08/17/2018: I dropped the Jeep off for the windshield replacement this morning. In the afternoon I get a call from the service manager who proceeds to tell me that the windshield was not replaced but rather after consulting with the manufacturer mechanical/engineering reps apparently there is a service bulletin forthcoming that deals with this issue. So instead of replacing the windshield they trimmed the rubber gasket around the original windshield as called for in the service bulletin. The whistling seemed to be gone on my short ride home, plus it was raining, but I have a 2 hour road trip scheduled for tomorrow so that will be a better test. Hopefully the noise is gone for good. So far I’m very happy with how the dealer has handled the situation. The dealer is Brigham-Gill in Natick MA.

Brad41

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18’ JLUR firecracker red
Update 08/17/2018: I dropped the Jeep off for the windshield replacement this morning. In the afternoon I get a call from the service manager who proceeds to tell me that the windshield was not replaced but rather after consulting with the manufacturer mechanical/engineering reps apparently there is a service bulletin forthcoming that deals with this issue. So instead of replacing the windshield they trimmed the rubber gasket around the original windshield as called for in the service bulletin. The whistling seemed to be gone on my short ride home, plus it was raining, but I have a 2 hour road trip scheduled for tomorrow so that will be a better test. Hopefully the noise is gone for good. So far I’m very happy with how the dealer has handled the situation. The dealer is Brigham-Gill in Natick MA.
Good info. Does your paperwork happen to show the service bulletin number? I have an appt. next week, and would be interested in passing this info along to my dealer svc dept.

aml

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Blue JLUR
Hi everyone. I recently purchased my first Jeep a 2018 JLU Sahara. I recently changed jobs and didn’t really need a truck any more so I traded my 2015 Ram 1500 Limited when this bad-boy caught my eye. It’s a really fun vehicle, but starting at around 30 mph there was a loud whistling sound from the windshield or roof area that was driving me nuts. The noise was even there with the freedom panels removed. I have a service appointment set up for a couple of weeks from now. In the meantime I was experimenting and I found that by using painters tape to seal around the windshield I can completely eliminate the whistling noise. I imagine a glass company will have to remove the glass, reseal, and reinstall. I just wanted to share my experience in case someone else is experiencing a similar issue.

5A33C78C-95CE-4907-B981-2DF2E3E0F58C.jpeg

When I first saw this picture I thought you had a Mojito Jeep and I couldn’t figure out why you had a black hood :)

msb

First Name
Spenser
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Happy they fixed it for you, but to be honest they’re the worst service dealer in MA... they couldn’t even figure out how to adjust my spedo to a larger wheel size... go there for RAM servicing, but for anything Jeep go down to Just For Jeeps/Central Jeep in Norwood OR Kelly up north... the long drive sucks, but honestly Brigham will just screw up your Jeep and send you in circles with lies from their service manager...

msb

First Name
Spenser
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Good info. Does your paperwork happen to show the service bulletin number? I have an appt. next week, and would be interested in passing this info along to my dealer svc dept.
Was about to ask the same thing... see if you can get the service bulletin number... it will help a lot of people looking at this same issue
Sponsored