Extended Warranty

Eclektick

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Hey all - need opinions! Looking to get an extended warranty on my ‘18 JLU Sahara 2.0l turbo. Tried searching the forum on pricing and all I could see was we really get screwed on warranties here in Canada!

So my 1 year in service date comes up next month and given 2018 is first model year and the new engine style, I’m thinking of getting the 7/160 package, 410. I’ve talked to one fella here at an Edmonton dealership and was quoted $4700 + tax. I’m planning on keeping it for quite awhile (yeah I’ve already been bitten by the accessories bug and spent some $ aftermarket - nothing that would void the warranty mind you).

Anyone else have any numbers/quotes/ thoughts they care to share? Don’t want third party (done it before and was a nightmare). I’ve also sent inquiries to the dealership I purchased from and another in Ottawa that had some warranty specific advertising.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

Jenneking

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler unlimited sport
In my opinion, extended warranties are just plain stupid. $4,700 for a warranty is ridiculousness. Save your money, roll with the factory warranty and just put it in a savings account in case something goes wrong outside of the factory warranty. To top it off, extended warranties are marked up insanely high. Probably less than $1,000 of the $4,700 you spend is going to cover their risk and operating expense. The rest is just profit for them. My opinion, your choice. Best of luck.

OP
OP

Eclektick

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
In my opinion, extended warranties are just plain stupid. $4,700 for a warranty is ridiculousness. Save your money, roll with the factory warranty and just put it in a savings account in case something goes wrong outside of the factory warranty. To top it off, extended warranties are marked up insanely high. Probably less than $1,000 of the $4,700 you spend is going to cover their risk and operating expense. The rest is just profit for them. My opinion, your choice. Best of luck.
Yeah, I know what you’re sayin! Just first model year jitters and all! $4700 is craziness,.

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

They can be a roll of the dice. I’ve already got 42k km on my JLUS. I knew I’d be piling on the klicks, and well out of the original warranty before it ran out. My Cherokee needed new LCAs just out of the original FCA. The extended covered it, otherwise I’d have been out a couple of grand.

They are a good gamble if you rack up the miles. Otherwise, not a great a deal. Canada gets totally screwed compared to the US however.

RoadiJeff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0T Recon, 2018 3.6L GC High Altitude
I used to not opt for an extended warranty. However, for EVERY Chrysler vehicle I have ever owned, an extended warranty would have paid for itself by the time I sold the vehicle.

I finally bought a Mopar MaxCare lifetime warranty when we bought our 2013 JK. I paid $1,950 for it back then. In the 7 years we owned it, repair bills would have exceeded over $3,000. It only cost me a $100 deductible each time I took it in and a free rental vehicle if we had to leave it overnight.

I bought another Mopar MaxCare lifetime warranty for my 2018 GC. It is still too new to get much benefit out of it but knowing that I will never have a repair bill that exceeds my $100 ded. is a nice thing. I plan on keeping it at least 10 years, so I'm pretty sure it will pay for itself eventually.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Eclektick

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Hey all, just an update. I was able to negotiate down to $3800 all in (with GST - love Alberta!) for a 410, 7yr / 160km with $0 deductible and a loaner when needed. Just needed to pit a couple of dealers against each other. Still high but given new model year with new engine, had to do it!

Cthehentz

First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU
Vehicle Showcase
That seems like a lot of money for a jeep, my Range Rover extended warranty was $4300 and all I will say is yes I have far exceeded that lol. My Jeep warranty purchased at time of purchase was something like $1400 which I think is about average.

OP
OP

Eclektick

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
That seems like a lot of money for a jeep, my Range Rover extended warranty was $4300 and all I will say is yes I have far exceeded that lol. My Jeep warranty purchased at time of purchase was something like $1400 which I think is about average.
Canada or US? Package?

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
The warranty should last the life of the loan, so an extended bumper to bumper would make sense for today's loans that exceed 36 months. 5/60 on Power Train, 8/80 on Hybrid and emissions from the factory helps, but as Shop Rates climb to over $100 per hour, an extended warranty, especially in an uncertain job climate, makes sense, in my opinion.
Sponsored