Exposed Racks vs DeeZee for hardshell RTT

jhackathorne

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR
I can speak to both drill/rail mounted. My JK had Pioneer with Maximus-3 setup and had no issues with it at all. JL I am running Exposed Racks (3 bars) and both Jeep's had same 23Zero tent weighing 147 lb. I have wheeled fairly moderate trails in Colorado and Moab and had no issues with either setup. Plenty of flexing and still no issues. Reason I went with Exposed Racks was I want to take my top off. With the Maximus-3 setup I never took my top off again after I installed it all. Too much work to do it. If you do drill get the Rhino Rack Backbone setup if you want to remove your top. I am perfectly comfortable with the ER system and had zero issues and removing tent by myself takes about 15 minutes then can hoist top off as well.

So do you want to take your top off? If you have a nice rack you might not be able to though...
Sponsored

OP
OP

545moose

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GX460
I can speak to both drill/rail mounted. My JK had Pioneer with Maximus-3 setup and had no issues with it at all. JL I am running Exposed Racks (3 bars) and both Jeep's had same 23Zero tent weighing 147 lb. I have wheeled fairly moderate trails in Colorado and Moab and had no issues with either setup. Plenty of flexing and still no issues. Reason I went with Exposed Racks was I want to take my top off. With the Maximus-3 setup I never took my top off again after I installed it all. Too much work to do it. If you do drill get the Rhino Rack Backbone setup if you want to remove your top. I am perfectly comfortable with the ER system and had zero issues and removing tent by myself takes about 15 minutes then can hoist top off as well.

So do you want to take your top off? If you have a nice rack you might not be able to though...
Nope, no desire to at all, panels will be enough. Glad to hear the ER route is working just fine. My tent won't be going on and odd either so once its there, it's there!

jhackathorne

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR
Nope, no desire to at all, panels will be enough. Glad to hear the ER route is working just fine. My tent won't be going on and odd either so once its there, it's there!
Only other thing to consider then really is cost/appearance. The ER will be cheaper than the other options to. Not by a lot depending on what you get from ER. The click in brackets/rack that is click in cost more. So if you are not going to be removing it really you can go with the regular crossbars.

OP
OP

545moose

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GX460
Only other thing to consider then really is cost/appearance. The ER will be cheaper than the other options to. Not by a lot depending on what you get from ER. The click in brackets/rack that is click in cost more. So if you are not going to be removing it really you can go with the regular crossbars.
Yeah I think 3 is enough, I see that pic on their site with 5 and it's just overkill IMO. I know roof racks have their place, but after going through a Prinsu and a FRunner on my GX460 only to realize the tent consumes the entire thing, I learned 3x later I could've saved money and hassle going crossbars to begin with. Ground tents just aren't there for me, and with a picky back sleepy less than comfortable isn't an option. And the Autohome mattress is like my bed at home almost and the best out there by far, and I've tried A LOT of them. I'll be buying another Grand Tour 360 and riding off into the sunset and calling it a done deal brother, just need my Jeep!

OP
OP

545moose

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GX460
Does this look like the right rack? There's a lot of options and I just want to be sure I get what I need right; 3 fixed crossbars in Black, no click-in, 4dr JLU Rubicon 22'. I emailed the rep at SMS if there was any deals this weekend/Monday and she said Free Shipping, but when I added it up prior earlier in the week and it said something like $8.xx for shipping. Something had to be off, $8 isn't much of a discount to get excited about... couple of coffees is a couple of coffee I guess though :/

https://www.smsparts.com/product-pa...ck-crossbars-3-51-solid-bars-2-46-above-rails

Sponsored

OP
OP

545moose

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GX460
This one actually…

https://www.smsparts.com/product-page/8-00-9658-bk-solid-tent-800-pkg-jl-jlu-txt-blk

You could try ordering from Quadratec. I got some parts from there and little better price IIRC.
I think the only difference is the one I listed is for extra weight for an RTT, seems like the mounting brackets are different. I'll check at Quadratec too and see what they list it at

EDIT:

Clarified with SMS, the link Jhackathorne posted is correct and I just ordered and good to go. The one I posted is their universal vehicle crossbars; hence the different mounting brackets I mentioned. On order and counting down!
Sponsored

Last edited: