JLU crossbar options for hardshell RTT

545moose

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GX460
New to this platform and peeking around, curious what others are happy with or not. Won't have my truck till spring so no rush, but I see both triple bar options by Rhino that look nice. It'll be a full length RTT, so triple bars needed. What are some other options out there in use that can withstand the load and mount-type needed for the hard tops on these 4dr JLUs?
Sponsored

shane h.

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR (mine), '21 Hellayella JLUR (hers)
Gutter mount bars are not going to hold a RTT. You will need some sort of backbone system.

OP
OP

545moose

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GX460
Gutter mount bars are not going to hold a RTT. You will need some sort of backbone system.
Does that require to drill the roof? I'm not familiar with the backbone concept fully, but basically you have to strengthen the internal framing in order to support the weight and distribute it evenly I believe?

Levin_tom

First Name
Tomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Does that require to drill the roof? I'm not familiar with the backbone concept fully, but basically you have to strengthen the internal framing in order to support the weight and distribute it evenly I believe?
You are correct about platform racks strengthening the internal framing. This requires drilling through the roof. For no drill options check out Exposed Racks and Dee Zee Racks. Several people on this forum run RTTs on them. Where the pioneer platform really shines is the aesthetic look and all the accessories to help you anchor other goodies to the rack.

OP
OP

545moose

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GX460
You are correct about platform racks strengthening the internal framing. This requires drilling through the roof. For no drill options check out Exposed Racks and Dee Zee Racks. Several people on this forum run RTTs on them. Where the pioneer platform really shines is the aesthetic look and all the accessories to help you anchor other goodies to the rack.
Good stuff. Anyone have any adverse effects after drilling? I've got a buddy that runs CB Adventure Supply and I know he's installed some, I'll ping him and see what I find out.

Sponsored

Levin_tom

First Name
Tomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Good stuff. Anyone have any adverse effects after drilling? I've got a buddy that runs CB Adventure Supply and I know he's installed some, I'll ping him and see what I find out.
If installed correctly then you shouldn’t have any adverse effects. It’s pretty solid.

PillowFightr

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Data Center Engineer
In my opinion, a full length RTT is not a joke! The strongest most stable roof rack is a must in my opinion, specially if the Jeep is going to flex! My RTT is 180 pounds, I paid twice as much for it for it to be this light, and paid twice for a roof rack to be able to hold it, that should tell you how serious I am about securing this! And I still don’t think I could flex the Jeep without it possibly coming off, moving, shifting or similar!

if you want the best rack, get the front runner full rack.. they picked up the jeep by a helicopter hooking it to this rack and it held! That’s good enough for me!

the reason I don’t think it could hold up to serious flex is, they shipped me the tent with 4 brackets to hold it.. and I feel like 8 brackets would have been perfect! And those brackets are out of stock now :/

Jeep Wrangler JL JLU crossbar options for hardshell RTT 5134407C-5878-4270-AEC3-9186B249D2DA

Jeep Wrangler JL JLU crossbar options for hardshell RTT FEB57F28-793A-4C75-AD8C-5634CF186907

what engine choice did you go with? Hopefully something with a turbo!

jhackathorne

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR
I’m running the Exposed Racks and had no issues with a 23Zero RTT weighing 147lb. I’ve wheeled it with the RTT on and no issues either. If you want to take your top off need to consider the rack. The Rhino Rack Backbone with the Pioneer Platform is great, but expensive. I ran Rhino Rack w/ Maximus-3 Mount on my last Jeep and never took top off again. So if going that route just go with BackBone system so you can still take you’re top off. Assuming you are OK drilling through hardtop.

OP
OP

545moose

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GX460
I’m running the Exposed Racks and had no issues with a 23Zero RTT weighing 147lb. I’ve wheeled it with the RTT on and no issues either. If you want to take your top off need to consider the rack. The Rhino Rack Backbone with the Pioneer Platform is great, but expensive. I ran Rhino Rack w/ Maximus-3 Mount on my last Jeep and never took top off again. So if going that route just go with BackBone system so you can still take you’re top off. Assuming you are OK drilling through hardtop.
Yeah I'm not keen to the idea of drilling holes in it to be honest! I like the external rack idea much better. Went through a Prinsu and FrontRunner on my GX with RTTs before I realized they're useless when consumed by the entire RTT, so just crossbars are fine. I'll be getting another Autohome this last time which is about 160lb/fiberglass. Just had a Bush Co Alpha which ran about 200lb, solid but the clamshell is just too cramped for me and not as comfortable.

jhackathorne

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR
Same for me. I loved the look of the Pioneer Platform, but just prevented me
From taking my top off. So it was either the Backbone system or gutter mount. Exposed Racks is cheaper than the RR system too so went that route. There is a decent amount of ppl running them and not heard of any issues with gutter failures.

Sponsored

OP
OP

545moose

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GX460
From taking my top off. So it was either the Backbone system or gutter mount. Exposed Racks is cheaper than the RR system too so went that route. There is a decent amount of ppl running them and not heard of any issues with gutter failures.
Awesome, I see you're running 3 crossbars and still can take your panels off...exactly my plan. Website is a little hard to figure out how to get 3 bars and hardware etc, but that's the route l'm leaning towards.

OP
OP

545moose

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GX460
Where'd you pick yours up from?

jhackathorne

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR
Awesome, I see you're running 3 crossbars and still can take your panels off...exactly my plan. Website is a little hard to figure out how to get 3 bars and hardware etc, but that's the route l'm leaning towards.
Call them and they can do it all over the phone. I Had to call to get some of the clip in brackets ordered and they were super helpful. I am running the three crossbar click in system and it makes it pretty easy to get on/off versus having to bolt and unbolt anything. So may consider that route. I am able to take my RTT off by myself with the hoist in about 15 minutes.
Sponsored