First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLUR Recon, 2000 BMW R1000RT
Occupation
Mostly retired gunsmith
I may have missed this in a previous discussion but here goes anyway. I was trying to climb a big sand hill in 4 low and my engine started cutting out like it was missing. It also lost most of its power. Other than that, this Jeep has been flawless and is driven and enjoyed every day. I've never experienced this in any of my older Jeeps. The last one was a 2003 Rubicon.
Sponsored

dchemphill1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon Recon
Occupation
School Administrator
I may have missed this in a previous discussion but here goes anyway. I was trying to climb a big sand hill in 4 low and my engine started cutting out like it was missing. It also lost most of its power. Other than that, this Jeep has been flawless and is driven and enjoyed every day. I've never experienced this in any of my older Jeeps. The last one was a 2003 Rubicon.
Where you in manual mode? I found on some steep hills with loose material I like to control what gear is being used. In automatic it will tend to try and keep RPMs lower...not what you want on hill climb in sand.
Others may have better info than this.

OP
OP
Gunsmith

Gunsmith

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mostly retired gunsmith
I was in manual mode, 2nd or 3rd gear.

johnnyj

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeepless but still a fan.
I'm thinking you need to disable traction control/ESC functions. Before you do the sand, park the Jeep and poke the traction control button. Next, push it and hold it 5 seconds until the ESC disables. If you have these still on, even in manual mode/4wd, it will cut power to prevent wheel spin. You do not want that in sand or snow. Give it a go. =)

LongTimeListener

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKURHR
I'm thinking you need to disable traction control/ESC functions. Before you do the sand, park the Jeep and poke the traction control button. Next, push it and hold it 5 seconds until the ESC disables. If you have these still on, even in manual mode/4wd, it will cut power to prevent wheel spin. You do not want that in sand or snow. Give it a go. =)
I would make the same guess. I think the "GOAT" modes on the Bronco are gimmicky, but I wouldn't mind a dedicated "Sand" mode on the Jeep, for exactly this reason.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Gunsmith

Gunsmith

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mostly retired gunsmith
OK, I'll disable the ESC next time. Thanks!!!

mgenbox

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Wrangler jl 2 dr sport
Dang. I wish I woulda seen this before I hit the dunes. I thought maybe the turbo was shutting down on high temp cuz I would climb the first big hill but a subsequent big hill it screwed me almost at the top a couple times
Sponsored