Emergency Hand Brake Button

mquinn13

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler
Has anyone noticed their hand break button being shorter? I seem the button doesn’t go as far out as it used to making it difficult to press and disengage. I have about 8k miles on mine.
Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I haven't seen this but I have read of a couple of issues with the parking brakes on these JLs. One guy had his handle come apart and another guy had the bolt that holds the brake cable bracket to the underside of the Jeep fall out. You should let the dealer inspect yours for loose or missing bolts and proper cable tension.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I haven't seen this but I have read of a couple of issues with the parking brakes on these JLs. One guy had his handle come apart and another guy had the bolt that holds the brake cable bracket to the underside of the Jeep fall out. You should let the dealer inspect yours for loose or missing bolts and proper cable tension.
Indeed, the OP should have the dealer service department look at it..

In regard to @WXman 's comment.. it gives the impression that just willy nilly, the brake handle came apart on a JL, etc.. From what I remember, the guys with E brake issues had been doing a lift on their JL and they caused the E brake handle to disconnect from the handle and or other E brake related issues.

JeepOntheBeach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara 2018
Does anyone’s emergency parking brake seem to have a bit of play in that it can be moved slightly left and right? I noticed that after I picked up my Sahara. Doesn’t impact the use of it but it just seemed odd to me. Should I have the dealer look at it or is that normal?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Does anyone’s emergency parking brake seem to have a bit of play in that it can be moved slightly left and right? I noticed that after I picked up my Sahara. Doesn’t impact the use of it but it just seemed odd to me. Should I have the dealer look at it or is that normal?
@JeepOntheBeach

My JL has no "play" per se. It does give and move very slightly left or right if you put exert pressure on it... I'd say "it gives" but no play.

If you are concerned have the dealership eval. What you are seeing should not impact the use of it though..

By the way, all JL, E Brake handles are mounted in crooked manner. End of handle tilts toward driver's leg.

Sponsored

JeepOntheBeach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara 2018
@JeepOntheBeach

My JL has no "play" per se. It does give and move very slightly left or right if you put exert pressure on it... I'd say "it gives" but no play.

If you are concerned have the dealership eval. What you are seeing should not impact the use of it though..

By the way, all JL, E Brake handles are mounted in crooked manner. End of handle tilts toward driver's leg.
Thanks. I think the screw on it probably wasn’t tightened down enough because there is definite play.

OP
OP
mquinn13

mquinn13

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler
F8F7788E-36AA-4CDA-B333-F05BB4848CEE.jpeg
444A618A-616C-40FD-A974-7AF3DDE990F0.jpeg
91753DC5-6E1E-4670-A42A-DA5F9506A3EB.jpeg
What do y’all think about the button ?

OP
OP
mquinn13

mquinn13

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler
Thanks. I think the screw on it probably wasn’t tightened down enough because there is definite play.
Most vehicles are like this, it’s angled at the driver cause they’re typically be pulling it. If you think about it being mounted perfectly straight and tried to pull that up from the driver seat it would be difficult and naturally bend over time.