First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
They make a similar amount of torque. The 392's is slightly more, but at higher RPMs. How badly would a 392 beat an EcoDiesel in a tug-of-war? I'm no engineer (far from it), but I don't think that the huge horsepower advantage would make any difference in a from-a-dead-stop pulling contest. This would be all about low-end torque.

[Pardon the lazy Saturday afternoon physics question.]
Sponsored

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
Tug-o-war is about traction not power. Torque gets you off the line, horsepower makes you go fast. Basically torque at low revs, horsepower in the higher revs.

so to answer your question it is going to be who has the better tires, tire pressure, lower center of gravity, etc .... grip.... that will win.

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Tug-o-war is about traction not power. Torque gets you off the line, horsepower makes you go fast. Basically torque at low revs, horsepower in the higher revs.

so to answer your question it is going to be who has the better tires, tire pressure, lower center of gravity, etc .... grip.... that will win.
Good point, but...given the near identical everything-but-engine (including tires), my assumption would be that traction differences are about as minimal as can be.

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
Vehicle tug of wars are dumb. That being said, the Diesel wins this one hands down with equal setups. Same tires and same height of attachment points.

SouthCo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Billet Silver Sahara
Which one weighs more? Given basically identical vehicles/setups (engine and its weight being the only difference) and similar amounts of torque, the heavier vehicle would have a traction advantage....

Sponsored

Marine2146

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Grand Wagoneer 3 series, 2022 Rubicon 392
I would say the rope would win… hitch rating is lower than the forces both jeeps would be applying to it, you’d probably end up with a twisted rear crossmember.
But if you take the hitch out of the scenario I would have to say the diesel may win if it can keep traction. The 392 would build its max Torque much higher in the rpm range, I wouldn’t think it would have as much torque as the diesel until it’s already moving forward and building rpms. But if the turbo on the diesel isn’t building any boost at the start the gas engine may pull the diesel back before it can build any power. I would assume you would have a different outcome on each pull.
Either way I wouldn’t advise it it’s bad for parts and you would almost certainly break something if anyone were to try it.

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Just to be clear, the tug-of-war was meant to be more mental than physical. :)

That said, I also think that the diesel would out-grunt the 392. The 392's slight peak torque advantage is at RPMs that would not nearly be reached in a pull with resistance started from idle. The diesel's torque curve is the difference, with peak torque only 500 RPMs over idle. Again...this is a Jeep-friendly, hypothetical contest only.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
At low speed, yeah EcoD for the win.

Cruising at 70 MPH with max allowable trailer weight, EcoD for the win.

Accelerating off the ramp onto the interstate with that trailer in tow, 392 will destroy the EcoD.
Sponsored