First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
Occupation
HVAC
I'm in the market for a new Wrangler and there isn't one dealership in the greater Boston area that stocks one with the Dual Top Option.

Does nobody want a soft top for the summer anymore? What do you guys do when you want both factory tops?
Sponsored

VAJeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Edit: I missed the point of your question. :headbang: I actually purchased my soft top from Bestop. I only had one choice of Jeep’s that offered the dual top and I didn’t want red!

I use both and love it. I run the hard top during winter and soft for summer. My wife can easily pull the sides off and flip the top all the way back anytime she wants. During the winter on the occasional nice day, I can hoist the hard top in about 30 mins.

it’s really just up to you and how much you like being topless.

ps…she just pulled the side off, lol!
Jeep Wrangler JL Dual Top Option Question F7E0BCBE-2E08-4F57-A828-83F462AD7C78

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
Like you when I started looking for a 2 door JLR w/manual transmission, I was slapped into reality! Not only were there no 2 doors but there were no manuals, forget about the fact that there were no two top combo's! I finally found one w/manual and everything I wanted except the soft top 2 hours away...it was used with 10,000 on the odometer which was fine with me because I got it for a lot less. The first thing I ordered was the soft top. I bought one from a place called Bamwholesale. They were the only place that were selling at a good price (600 cheaper than all others) and it was the Premium twill w/tinted windows. So If you can find what you like there is always an alternative to be able to get what you need to compliment it. Either by forum members selling theirs on this site or craigslist etc... The hardest part is finding the one that you have to have. I would say order one the way you really want it but as we know the time leads for orders may be out there unless you are willing to wait. Good luck in your search Jeep brother!

Walker Texas Wrangler

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hamburgsolutions.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Rubicon, Previous: '99 TJ Sahara
Build Thread
Link
I also bought the dual-top option and they were readily available at my local dealership. I had also purchased it on my previous TJ. While I run the hard top most of the time due to the extreme heat, it's a great option to have. It's what I love about Jeeps, the modular changes you can make.

My advice if you can't find the dual top would be to buy the hard top model and buy an aftermarket soft top or a factory one that's being re-sold. That way you will have the connections (water and electrical) for the hard top already. They are a bigger pain to add later. Bestop makes the soft tops for Jeep, so they are a good starting off point for aftermarket.

dgoodhue

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 80th JLU
I ordered mine. If I could have found a Boston area Jeep with every option I wanted, I would have tried to buy that and I would looked around for a used soft top. I see them in the market place new in box from time to time.

Sponsored

MonopoliJLUR

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler unlimited rubicon
I just ordered mine with the hardtop and picked up a brand new premium soft top off off kijiji for $1000 CAD, pretty good deal but still you can just get it afterwards

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
I have a dual top and had one on my JK too. I use the hardtop in the winter and for longer trips due to the extra security when I have to stay in motels. I have a hoist in my garage for removing and storing the hardtop (Harken I believe is the manufacturer). With a garage hoist removing and installing the tops is not much work.
for the most part I run a softtop April thru end of October. And occasionally put the hardtop on for 1-2week trips in the desert where I'm not going to want that much sun exposure.

OP
OP
MJKid88

MJKid88

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
Occupation
HVAC
Thanks for all the responses. If I buy off the lot, I'll be sure to get one with the hard top and then add the soft top myself.

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
Thanks for all the responses. If I buy off the lot, I'll be sure to get one with the hard top and then add the soft top myself.
This is key if you're going to do both tops. I don't know if it is true on the JLs, but on the JKs they didn't come with all the wiring and connections for rear defroster and rear washer if they were factory softtop; which made retrofitting a hardtop a big task. Softtop has no electronics so there isn't a difference adding it aftermarket. But I don't know if the above is true for JLs, I would suspect it is though.

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
Ordered exactly what I wanted including the dual top group.

Sponsored

SouthCo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Billet Silver Sahara
I'm in the market for a new Wrangler and there isn't one dealership in the greater Boston area that stocks one with the Dual Top Option.

Does nobody want a soft top for the summer anymore? What do you guys do when you want both factory tops?
If you can't find what you want on a lot, order... Or buy one off the lot with either a hard top or soft top and then buy the other top after. Pretty simple!

Reactions: GtX

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
Dual tops were not an option on the 2 dr Rubicon we ordered. Ordered it with the hard top and bought a soft top from the dealers parts dept using the $200 off mopar accessories coupon. So far completely happy with the base top, clear windows. The windows haven't even come out of the box yet. Took a top down trip over the pass to Silverton last night.

cgagnon99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
I ordered my Dual Top, and it seems like that is usually the way to go. You should investigate ordering to get EXACTLY what you want. There are plenty of dealers on the forums that give you % under invoice price. You not only get a better price but you get exactly the build you want!

RobC2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Rubicon 2 Door
There have been reports of the dual top option going way up in price (like $1200) for new factory orders. If that is the case, ordering a hard top and shopping for a new take-off or aftermarket soft top might be the better option.

LuvHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUS Hella , 22 JLUSS Hydro
I didnt realize how badly I got screwed when I ordered my Wrangler with a hardtop until a saw a Monrony from a Wrangler from a couple years ago.

$1,990 buckaroos.
Sponsored