Sponsored

Do all rear bumpers need a spare tire relocation bracket?

singblaze

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
I bought a smittybilt knockoff bumper on amazon. After installing the tailgate would not close. My factory spare tire touches the bumper before it will close. I contacted the seller and they sent me a link for a relocation bracket and stated that every aftermarket bumper requires a spare relocation bracket. I have not seen this on any bumper description. I calling BS for factory size spare.

IMG_5587.JPEG

IMG_5588.JPEG

IMG_5568.JPEG

IMG_5569.JPEG

IMG_5568.JPEG

IMG_5569.JPEG
Sponsored

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 xj, 04 Silverado 2500hd
short answer no not all after market bumpers will require tire relocation brackets, most of of the chines bumpers are just jk bumpers redesigned to fit the jl so probably little thought went into checking if things fit properly. The people who sell these bumpers range from companies like dv8 and smittybilt who have the abilities and an interest to test fit first to understand limitations, and tot he other end of the spectrum to just single person amazon shops who are just resellers of the product and have never stepped foot in a JL.

Also note that most people that are installing aftermarket bumpers have already gone down a tire and lift route and probably already have a tire relocation solution in place or lots of tire backspacing where it is not an issue hence why to do not see more topics like this. not saying what you are doing is wrong its your jeep who gives a fuck but not a common route

but looking around i came across this
https://www.quadratec.com/p/quadratec/aluminum-brute-strength-rear-bumper-wrangler-jl

OP
OP
singblaze

singblaze

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Right on, Needed the trailer hitch asap. Installing my lift tomorrow. Wheel shopping continues. Thanks
Sponsored