Cool Tech CB and Flat Tow Installation

Hgrace

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JUL Sport S, Fleetwood 33 Terra SE. Lincoln MKC
Planning on tackling my flat tow harness and CB antenna this weekend on my new 2019 JLU Sport S.
Anyone have any tips or suggestions?
I'll try to post information and photos of my installations.
Going to be installing the Hopkins Brake Buddy Stealth system next.
Sponsored

Mrjimmystewart

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 jeep 392, Mercedes E 53 convt, Prevost H3-41
Occupation
Retired
How did it go? I found the Cool Tech wiring harness to be a very good product, but the instructions were pretty minimal. I have a long history of working on things as I converted a tour bus to a motorhome, and yet I really struggled with it. I installed all the towing wiring in the bus, including an inertial braking controller.

For Cool Tech, I had to read and re read the instructions, pour over the few pictures included so as to understand what they meant.
When routing the cable to the front, while I found a path, I had expected that Cool Tech could have provided a hint or two since they seemd to be all over adding their harness for a JL Wrangler. I'm still going to check the routing after more miles, to insure I was able to keep it far enough away from the hot parts. I already had the tools, testers, the heavy duty crimpers and extra heat shrink tubing, its not for the faint of heart.

Finding the right wires in the Jeeps wiring harness was actually pretty easy, although it gave my wife a heart attack to even look at it.

In order to remove the kick panel, I also had to remove the hook/bracket where the flexible door limit strap loops onto. I was confused by the rounting of the cool Tech wiring where it leaves the Jeep/towed switch. I intially tried to put it under the carpet where the switch is, but later realized that it goes on top of the carpet toward the rear, and then only goes under the carpet flap that extends forward from the rear. If that makes any sense.

Tell us about your Brake Buddy setup too.

Kentano

First Name
Kentano
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Victoria the Mall Rat
Occupation
CPA
Vehicle Showcase
Just did part of the cool tech last night. I half-assed it a little at the tailgate - I removed that big circular grommet on the tailgate and created a grommet by wrapping electrical tape on the wire and shoving it into the hole and wrapping more tape to cover it.

Edit: one last piece of advice, make sure you stuff cardboard under the tailgate when you remove the bolts. I didn't do that and learned that it misaligned a bit when I put the spare back on. That 35 is a heavy SOB. I had to remove the spare, untighten the hinges, realign the tailgate with cardboard shoved under, and retighten.

I don't have the aux switches yet, so I'm just plugged into the AC adaptor for the CB until I'm properly sorted with an aux. Still have to install the mic mount...on my old bimmer, I've broken lots of fastners by pulling out trim, so I'm gonna take my time and do that install with patience.
Sponsored