Sponsored

[CLOSED] WINNER ANNOUNCED: DIY Windshield Protection Film Giveaway -- ExoShield ULTRA

ek1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Private
Hey! Yes, putting a film on the windshield is tricky because it's a pretty harsh place (rocks and debris hitting it constantly, wiper blades scraping the film etc.). Our film has a nanoceramic layer as the top layer of the film that we developed ourselves and test A LOT with wiper blade scratching to make sure it's abrasion resistant under the same conditions that your windshield will be in.

How long it will last on your windshield without scratching depends on a few things:
1. The condition of your wiper blades (brand new vs torn up with jagged edges)
2. How you use your wipers (dry scraping the film without any washer fluid will make it wear out faster...although I am definitely guilty of this 🫠)
3. The condition of the roads - if you live somewhere with a lot of dirt and small gravel on the roads (a lot of Northern cities use this on roads during winter during salt) then you'll want to take a bit of extra care to make sure the wipers are clean. Again - where I live this isn't as much of an issue and I don't really do anything special to keep them clean be honest!

Now, the film will likely scratch sooner than glass will, but the idea is that it's an easy sacrificial layer which you can remove after a year or two (or however long it lasts) and replace easily. That's also why we wanted to make a DIY version that was (a) easier because you don't need to go into a shop to replace it, and (b) more cost effective.

Sorry for such a long-winded answer, I hope that helps :)
I have had your competitor's product on several of my cars for the past few years. It required an application of a special "conditioner" solution every few months to prevent the film from being scratched by wipers. Of course, they charged like $25 for a tiny bottle of the solution that was enough for 2-3 applications. Without this solution, the film develops wiper streaks after 1 season of use. I live in NYC, which is not a Northern area with a lot of sand and gravel.

Can you please clarify whether your product requires such a solution to be applied and if not, how long does it take for wiper traces to appear on your film under regular/average use. If you are saying you have done testing, please share how you tested.

I understand that it's a "sacrificial layer" but at $200 per pop plus tax, it's not something that most people are comfortable with doing once a year, not to mention the 2+ hours required to install the product properly.
Sponsored

OP
OP
exoshield

exoshield

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Team ExoShield
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
I have had your competitor's product on several of my cars for the past few years. It required an application of a special "conditioner" solution every few months to prevent the film from being scratched by wipers. Of course, they charged like $25 for a tiny bottle of the solution that was enough for 2-3 applications. Without this solution, the film develops wiper streaks after 1 season of use. I live in NYC, which is not a Northern area with a lot of sand and gravel.

Can you please clarify whether your product requires such a solution to be applied and if not, how long does it take for wiper traces to appear on your film under regular/average use. If you are saying you have done testing, please share how you tested.

I understand that it's a "sacrificial layer" but at $200 per pop plus tax, it's not something that most people are comfortable with doing once a year, not to mention the 2+ hours required to install the product properly.
Hey! There are no requirements to put anything on top of the film to prevent it from being scratched! The film has a 'built-in' nanoceramic layer that will do a pretty good job of keeping the film scratch free.

You of course always the option to add an additional coating on top (we don't currently supply any surface treatments or stand-alone coatings, but have a few brands we've tested on the film and recommend) which we've seen help extend the lifetime of the film, but it is not a requirement by any means!

Under average use, we typically say 18-24 months is what you can expect out of the film, but as I mentioned this depends a lot on how you treat your wiper blades! The best way to get the most out of the film without adding any surface treatments is to make sure that your wipers are in good condition and are relatively clean. Where I live is very similar climate to NYC (we're based near Toronto, Canada) and the roads aren't too bad, so getting 18 months is definitely doable out of the film for me.

We run lots of tests on the film to measure resistance to abrasion, one of the standards that we run is called a Taber test which is a standardized test for measuring abrasion resistance. We have also developed specific tests for this internally (which my R&D team won't let me share since they are proprietary IP!!) that we feel better simulate what happens on the surface of the windshield.

While having to replace the film every year or 2 may not be ideal, for many people it is much easier (and cheaper) than replacing multiple windshields every year! And we hope that we've made the installation process as seamless as possible with these kits!

I hope that helps :)

Sponsored

Tredsdert

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Subaru Forester, 2021 Jeep Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Beer Distribution
@exoshield not sure if it's a company secret, but what kind of material is the ExoShield Ultra made of? Is it a PVC, a Polyurethane, an Acrylic, something else?

Call me a nerd, I'm just curious. ☺

OP
OP
exoshield

exoshield

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Team ExoShield
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
@exoshield not sure if it's a company secret, but what kind of material is the ExoShield Ultra made of? Is it a PVC, a Polyurethane, an Acrylic, something else?

Call me a nerd, I'm just curious. ☺
It's ok, we're nerds too 😁 the bulk of ExoShield ULTRA is made of PET, which is sort of the industry standard for premium windshield protection film (it has really high optical clarity but also gives great impact resistance). ULTRA is quite a bit thicker than our standard windshield protection film though, which gives it extra impact resistance for vehicles like Jeeps which are...kind of magnets for rocks haha. We also add an additional layer that gets bonded to the PET during manufacturing which adds some UV resistance and abrasion resistance as well (part of our Endurance Class coatings technology line)- as far as the formulation of that layer , well that's definitely a company secret 😂
Sponsored