Clicking sound when turning

SargeRubi

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon Diesel
I have a 21 Rubicon Ecodiesel with about 5k miles. I notived a metalic click when i turn the wheel going slow. Sometimes it wont make it but usually it does and its when turning left or right. Its coming from somewhere under the car in the middle and sounds a lot like a snap. The dealer heard it too and said they havent encountered it before and cant locare it. I read that some people have this problem and its the ball joint not torqued. However the deale checked it and said that wasnt it. They ordered me both front axle shafts thinking its something internal. I highly doubt this since the sound comes when you turn the wheel. Im going to go to another dealer for a second opinion but wanted to ask your thoughts.
Sponsored

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
It’s likely the ball joint studs “loose” in the tapered aluminum knuckle. It doesn’t seem to happen on the steel knuckle JL/JT’s but I hear it a lot on the alloy knuckle JL’s(especially with bigger tires). I really wish they all came with the steel knuckles, as torquing those nuts seems to be a temporary solution.

Jhill5135

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Ecodiesel
Was there any feedback from the dealer? We are noticing the same thing with our 2021 JLU Ecodiesel with less than 3K miles.

P8YFWRD

First Name
Cesar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU MOAB
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 21 Rubicon Ecodiesel with about 5k miles. I notived a metalic click when i turn the wheel going slow. Sometimes it wont make it but usually it does and its when turning left or right. Its coming from somewhere under the car in the middle and sounds a lot like a snap. The dealer heard it too and said they havent encountered it before and cant locare it. I read that some people have this problem and its the ball joint not torqued. However the deale checked it and said that wasnt it. They ordered me both front axle shafts thinking its something internal. I highly doubt this since the sound comes when you turn the wheel. Im going to go to another dealer for a second opinion but wanted to ask your thoughts.
Incase you still need answers, had the same issue. See attached for fix.

Rydell Balljoints.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP

SargeRubi

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon Diesel
My car is still at the shop for an oil leak, which I have posted in another post. But I told them this and they claim they replaced the ball joints and it no longer clicks. I have not been able to personally confirm this since I dont have access to the vehicle. Thank you all. It appears that it indeed is the ball joints.

RDRubicon

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I recently started noticing the same issue. JLU Rubicon with 2,000 miles. I called the dealer today to make an appointment, and I was told that they have received complaints about this issue, and they are looking into a fix.. but currently they have no fix, so there's nothing they can do. I started reading some of these forum threads afterwards, and I see that some people were able to get it fixed, so I will be pursuing this further.

Update June 28, 2021:
Jeep Wrangler JL Clicking sound when turning Capture.PNG

Last edited:

JRanger

First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Jeep Rubicon
I recently started noticing the same issue. JLU Rubicon with 2,000 miles. I called the dealer today to make an appointment, and I was told that they have received complaints about this issue, and they are looking into a fix.. but currently they have no fix, so there's nothing they can do. I started reading some of these forum threads afterwards, and I see that some people were able to get it fixed, so I will be pursuing this further.

Update June 28, 2021:
Jeep Wrangler JL Clicking sound when turning Capture.PNG
I had the same issue with my 2021 JL Rubicon. One dealer told me that they had to keep my Jeep for three to four days and I said no. Finally found another dealer and they fixed the issue in a few hours. The clicking noise was the axle nut. Apparently when shipped from the factory they don’t always torque the nut properly. Super easy fix. I’ve had my Jeep back for a week now and clicking noise is gone. They also did an update on my computer due to a service bulletin.
Sponsored