Sponsored

Clicking noise when accelerating in 4 lo?

JLU412

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU/Charger
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Everyone.

When accelerating in 4 lo I hear a one time click when I step on the gas and it goes away until I accelerate again. The dealer is saying this is normal however I haven’t found any other examples of this. Is anyone able to confirm if this is normal or is there potentially an issue here?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

anyway to get a video with the noise? seems like its just the gears syncing but cant be 100%

mike_b_81

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
It kind of sounds like gear backlash, but it should not be that loud. I’ve never noticed it in mine and spent some time in 4-low

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport HT 2.0T Auto, 2003 TJ Rubicon HT
Vehicle Showcase
Does it only do that on pavement...................and I wouldn't do that especially turning on pavement in 4WD. Try that on gravel or something other than pavement.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JLU412

JLU412

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU/Charger
Vehicle Showcase
Does it only do that on pavement...................and I wouldn't do that especially turning on pavement in 4WD. Try that on gravel or something other than pavement.
It does occur off road as well. This was just done on pavement for video purposes. To clarify it appears it may be once the accelerator is let go the click occurs.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

I agree sounds like bad back lash. Take it in to the dealer for inspection of the xfer case

OP
OP
JLU412

JLU412

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU/Charger
Vehicle Showcase
I agree sounds like bad back lash. Take it in to the dealer for inspection of the xfer case
Thank you everyone for your help. I’ll take it back in and let them know this certainly isn’t normal. I appreciate it!

Katej1213

First Name
Kate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon 3.6L
Occupation
Paralegal
Hi Everyone.

When accelerating in 4 lo I hear a one time click when I step on the gas and it goes away until I accelerate again. The dealer is saying this is normal however I haven’t found any other examples of this. Is anyone able to confirm if this is normal or is there potentially an issue here?

Thanks in advance!

My Jeep also has a click/rattle sounding noise that it makes while driving when I let off the gas slowing down in lower RPMs (usually 1,000-1,500) that sounds like it's coming from the driver side lower area of the engine bay. I had it checked out twice by two different dealerships. The first dealership said that it was "turbo noise" and was normal which I didn't think was correct because the noise isn't even coming from where the turbo is located on the Jeep. The second dealership said that it was related to the differential, was normal, and that a cover muffling the noise to the cabin has fallen because a grommet fell off. Since the grommet/cover was fixed, I can no longer hear the noise inside the cabin. Usually I only hear it when my doors are off. Either way, I was told that the noise is completely normal, and I have been driving it with it making that noise since January (over 10,000ish miles).

Your best bet is to take it in and show them while it's under warranty. That covers you in case there is an issue or if something arises later because there is proof of your visits and your concern of the noise. If they "can't recreate the noise" make sure to show them the video. You could also open a claim with Jeep Cares. I did that on my second opinion visit, and they helped a lot. Good luck!

OP
OP
JLU412

JLU412

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU/Charger
Vehicle Showcase
My Jeep also has a click/rattle sounding noise that it makes while driving when I let off the gas slowing down in lower RPMs (usually 1,000-1,500) that sounds like it's coming from the driver side lower area of the engine bay. I had it checked out twice by two different dealerships. The first dealership said that it was "turbo noise" and was normal which I didn't think was correct because the noise isn't even coming from where the turbo is located on the Jeep. The second dealership said that it was related to the differential, was normal, and that a cover muffling the noise to the cabin has fallen because a grommet fell off. Since the grommet/cover was fixed, I can no longer hear the noise inside the cabin. Usually I only hear it when my doors are off. Either way, I was told that the noise is completely normal, and I have been driving it with it making that noise since January (over 10,000ish miles).

Your best bet is to take it in and show them while it's under warranty. That covers you in case there is an issue or if something arises later because there is proof of your visits and your concern of the noise. If they "can't recreate the noise" make sure to show them the video. You could also open a claim with Jeep Cares. I did that on my second opinion visit, and they helped a lot. Good luck!
Thanks for the feedback! I have an appointment for Thursday so we will see what they say.

Sponsored

Katej1213

First Name
Kate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon 3.6L
Occupation
Paralegal
Thanks for the feedback! I have an appointment for Thursday so we will see what they say.
Definitely report back... I'm curious to see what they say. Hopefully it's an easy fix!

OP
OP
JLU412

JLU412

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU/Charger
Vehicle Showcase
Definitely report back... I'm curious to see what they say. Hopefully it's an easy fix!
Well, had my appointment today and they are ordering a new transfer case. They said they didn’t even open it and are just replacing the entire unit. Should arrive in about a week but hopefully this resolves the issue!

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport HT 2.0T Auto, 2003 TJ Rubicon HT
Vehicle Showcase
if it only occurs while in 4WD my guess would be:
Sloppy/defective front drive shaft u joints
Front diff/pinion issue
Transfer case issue

jhern88

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 WRANGLER SPORT JL 4 DOORS V6
Apologies for the delay. Hopefully this works:
Here is problem.

2019 JEEP WRANGLER SPORT JL 4 DOORS V6
FRONT AND REAR ROCK CRAWLER ADJUSTABLE TRACKBAR
SYNERGY TRACKBAR AND SECTOR SHAFT BRACE
MOPAR LIFT KIT

MY PROBLEM IS THE CLICKING SOUND REAR, DON'T KNOW WHERE IS THE CLICKING SOUND COMING FROM REAR. SLIGHTLY GO TURNING WHEELS LEFT TO RIGHT OR JUST FORWARD OR REVERSE HEAR A CLICKING SOUND. NEED TO FIX THIS CLICKING SOUND ASAP BEFORE GET WORST PLEASE HELP THANKS.

:jk::flag::like:
Sponsored