Sponsored

CavFab Steering

anotheraznguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojito JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Finally got the cavfab steering in the mail.

Will be installing it whenever i get some free time.These use steer smarts ends and a 1.75" 7075 aluminum for the centers. Because it is 1.75" OD i ended up getting a TMR customs steering clamp and a Synergy Steering stabilizer bolt. I will be reusing my stock steering stabilizer. I did have to drill the steering stabilier to 1/2" in order for it to be bolted on

Currently i have stock tie rod and drag link but with the Falcon 2.2 EF stabilizer. I am curious to see if the steering feel is better or worse compared to my current setup.

If my wife disapproves of the steering feel we will most likely end up going with a redneck ram and NExt venture motorsports Hydro assist bracket. I am able to re-use the TMR steering clamp since it is made for both hydro and shock.

Currently i do not have any shimmy or wobble and the Jeep is on a 3.5" Metalcloak GC kit with their track bar. I am mainly upgrading to this as a preventative measure to ensure i dont break on the trails considering my tie rod and steering stabilizer have been getting hit on the rocks recently.

jWeczlX.jpg

2212a_web.jpg

8806-01-main-1200.jpg
Sponsored

brianP

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Following as I have been interested in this setup as well. Curious how it feels afterwards. How long did it take after order just so I have an idea? I know they state a 2 to 3 week lead just curious if that is accurate or if it was longer.

OP
OP
anotheraznguy

anotheraznguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojito JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Following as I have been interested in this setup as well. Curious how it feels afterwards. How long did it take after order just so I have an idea? I know they state a 2 to 3 week lead just curious if that is accurate or if it was longer.
I ordered it on July 4th and It was delivered on the 15th. It did ship out on July 5th but UPS was being UPS and it was delayed.

brianP

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I ordered it on July 4th and It was delivered on the 15th. It did ship out on July 5th but UPS was being UPS and it was delayed.
Great thanks for the info, please report back after the install and update us on how it feels. I will probably pull the trigger at that time.

OP
OP
anotheraznguy

anotheraznguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojito JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Installed the tie rod and drag link. Leaving the stock steering stabilizer off for now until i finalize the alignment to how i want it. Main reason i went with Cavfab is because they are the only manufacturer out there currently that has a 7075 aluminum bar. The aluminum will bend but spring back and retain its original shape. The only downside or upside depending on how you want to look at it is that it utilizes Steer smarts ends. The downside is that each rod end is about 200 dollars to replace. The upside is that its a steersmarts rod end.

I cycled my suspension and had no interference. In terms of driving, the steering feel is lighter, that is most likely because i do not have a stabilizer. I took off the Falcon stabilizer and you can definitely tell the difference. In terms of dead spot, i am not feeling any deadspot in the steering. When i move the steering left to right it feels direct with no slop.

In terms of install, no real issues, hardest part is to make sure you crank down on the jam nuts enough. I use a 1/2 inch breaker and crows foot to really crank the jam nuts down.

wR6rpco.jpg

H5nwwEE.jpg

Sponsored

brianP

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Awesome! I did reach out to CavFab previously and they mentioned they dont run a stabilizer on their JL either as they didnt need to, I plan on pulling the trigger after I return from our groups wheeling trip this weekend. Thanks for sharing the info and the after install pics.

OP
OP
anotheraznguy

anotheraznguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojito JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Finished doing my alignment with a spare set of wheels i had as well as some toe plates. Before the full alignment my wife did hit a massive pothole and she did get some steering shimmy. I aligned it and had her drive it again and no issues this time around. I have about 1/32-1/16 toe in. After the test drive with the alignment we put the stock steering stabilizer back on. The steering feel is still light compared to how the falcon's were.

qMUaxGn.jpg

4ec7z8y.jpg
Sponsored