Sponsored

Camping recs? + what I've googled so far...

DirtyHaraldson

First Name
Harrison
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.harrisongiven.com
Vehicle(s)
On Order - 2021 JL Sport S
Occupation
Instructional Designer

Russ Chung

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD, 2005 TJ
The Butler Peak trail (2N13/2N13B) is closed by the Forest Service due to washouts. AFAIK, the other Big Bear trails on your list are open. Here's a link to the SBNF status page:
https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/sbnf/conditions/?cid=FSEPRD538928

Because the fall weather is cooling down, I prefer to head to the desert. ABDSP has plenty of camping spots, but not many have views. You might look at Culp Valley Campground and the Paoli Homestead Campground. Both of them are along County Road S-22 above Borrego Springs and have a view of the Borrego Valley.

Jeep Wrangler JL Camping recs? + what I've googled so far... ori

OP
OP
DirtyHaraldson

DirtyHaraldson

First Name
Harrison
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.harrisongiven.com
Vehicle(s)
On Order - 2021 JL Sport S
Occupation
Instructional Designer
The Butler Peak trail (2N13/2N13B) is closed by the Forest Service due to washouts. AFAIK, the other Big Bear trails on your list are open. Here's a link to the SBNF status page:
https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/sbnf/conditions/?cid=FSEPRD538928

Because the fall weather is cooling down, I prefer to head to the desert. ABDSP has plenty of camping spots, but not many have views. You might look at Culp Valley Campground and the Paoli Homestead Campground. Both of them are along County Road S-22 above Borrego Springs and have a view of the Borrego Valley.

Jeep Wrangler JL Camping recs? + what I've googled so far... ori
I appreciate the reply, very helpful! Looks awesome, will do some research for sure.

gm920

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLUR Billet Silver
Occupation
Aircraft Maintenance Technician (Retired)
Hey y'all,

I've recently moved to San Clemente and fingers crossed picking up my first JL this week, if delivery eta is accurate! Would love to know of a novice > amateur trail to some views with a camping spot for a birthday weekend coming up. Any recommendations?

What I've found so far, thoughts / experience / photos of what I've linked below?

Anza-Borrego Desert State Park

Ocotillo Wells SVRA

Big Pine Flat Trail

Gold Fever Trail

Sand Canyon

Butler Peak

Coyote Trail

Cheers,

H
Another easy trail to consider if you decide on Big Bear

https://www.trailsoffroad.com/trails/5591-2n10-mill-creek

Was up there 2 weeks ago, it is starting to get chilly. Big Bear likely to be 60/30, while Anza Borrrego should be 85/55.

Yes Culp Valley and Paroli Homesite are a bit above the desert floor with a view (might have to hike a bit to see it) but there is no wheeling involved getting there, they are both close to the highway. Culp Valley is about 10 minutes from my home.

I would suggest Coyote Canyon to Sheep Canyon campground if you want picnic tables and shade ramadas $10 fee. It's 5 or so miles in from the end of the road. ABDSP is existing roads and trails and street legal vehicles only, OWSVRA is mostly on open OHV area.

Lots of trials between the 2 areas, Font's Point is a must see if your looking for views, don't think you can camp there, but you could nearby in the sand wash.
Sponsored