Sponsored

Bumper Design and Weight Considerations

Yardstick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLURD, Tundra, 4Runner, Sprinter
I'm waffling on the options for an aftermarket bumper on the JLURD that I should be receiving soon. I ended up placing the order for the Jeep to be built with plastic bumpers. The factory steel bumper group cost went up when I was making the order and it looked like adding a winch plate was going to cost almost as much as some aftermarket bumpers that came with a winch plate. I still like the look of the stock steel front bumper and the ability to run it stubby or full width. Does anyone actually go back and forth between stubby and full-width with the stock steel bumper or any of the copies? What's the reason you might want a full-width bumper on a Wrangler? The other options I'm considering are the Rugged Ridge Arcus and Venator Stubby bumpers. The tow hooks on those just look overbuilt and too long to me. It looks like a side load on those could bend the frame easier than a shorter tow hook would. They also make those bumpers much heavier than they really need to be. With the diesel (really any Wrangler) adding weight is a concern. The MP Concepts Aluminum copy of the OEM bumper is tempting for that reason. Does anyone have that MP Concepts bumper's weight and has it been compared to the weight of a stock steel bumper?
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Yardstick

Yardstick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLURD, Tundra, 4Runner, Sprinter
I have my new Jeep, but no answers to the question above. Does anyone have the MP Concepts Aluminum copy of the factory steel bumper? How do you like it? Any concerns with it?

stevepoz

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Firecracker Red JLUR
I am going full width (unless someone changes my mind) once I decide on a style. I had one on my JKUR that I could remove the end caps, but never did. I was grateful for the full width when I hit a deer one day with the end cap and no resulting damage to the Jeep. Likely a different end result if I was driving around with a stubby. Just my $0.02

SurfJeep

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Willys
I have the MP Concepts aluminum version. I’ve never put the end caps on, but that’s just aesthetics for me. The point made above about hitting a deer (or anything) makes sense as to why you might want a full length.

For what it’s worth I’m happy with the bumper. I have yet to mount a winch, but I did put the winch plate in place already (which, not sure if it needs to be said, but that is steel).

RedundanT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Jeep Wrangler JL Bumper Design and Weight Considerations 20201025_113818_HDR

Where the shackles connect is inline with the frame rails. The hook is higher but wouldn't be used under normal recovery circumstances. The bumper is stamped steel like factory option so it is light, lighter than some aluminum options. Overall I've been satisfied with it.

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Jeep Wrangler JL Bumper Design and Weight Considerations 20201025_113818_HDR

Where the shackles connect is inline with the frame rails. The hook is higher but wouldn't be used under normal recovery circumstances. The bumper is stamped steel like factory option so it is light, lighter than some aluminum options. Overall I've been satisfied with it.
In my opinion, the high profile hooks with their broad throat would be great for figure 8ing a tow or recovery rope that was dead ended on one or both of the shackle points. It would be ready for quickly being deployed during a group outing, not having to keep going into the cargo area and hooking it up.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
i've been looking on and off on for a winch bumper for my 2 door jl. weight, durability, and protection were the 3 main things i was focused on. steel was one one thing i wanted, along with a full width options. i've narrowed down arb classic and lod signature series. both bumpers are well built and worth the price. i looked at the lod mid width bumper and looked to see how much "loss protection" from the full width. its about 6" shorter on both end. so thats not bad at all. i just ordered a lod mid width bumper, the bumper is steel and weights 90 lbs. add a winch 65 lbs. so the total weight is 150 lbs. so i'm happy with that. the mid width will protect the front of the jl pretty good.

jwms

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
I got an ARB Classic maybe a month or 2 ago. 190 lbs. I don't think I notice the weight. If I did, it wasn't for long and I no longer do.
Sponsored