Sponsored

Bestop Trektop vs Trektop ultra

LJC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Sahara 4 door JL
I have a 2020 JL hardtop and am looking for a soft top for warm months. I like the Trektop look. Since I am wanting a soft top for just part of the year I am thinking that the regular Trektop may be easier to install/uninstall? But I do not like that I will not be able to get the top completely off with that one. Any thoughts? And thoughts about twill vs black diamond material?
Sponsored

T_Willys

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
In the same exact boat here, also trying to find out the best soft top to go with. From what I've read so far it seems like twill is more durable than the black diamond.

JtwJL

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS
I have a 2020 JL hardtop and am looking for a soft top for warm months. I like the Trektop look. Since I am wanting a soft top for just part of the year I am thinking that the regular Trektop may be easier to install/uninstall? But I do not like that I will not be able to get the top completely off with that one. Any thoughts? And thoughts about twill vs black diamond material?
I was on a huge debate between the two along with the Sunrider, living in Canada our weather can be really shitty, and spotty during the days so the main thing I really wanted was to just be able to get rid of the freedom panels at least to have a quick unlatch/relatch.

So while the Sunrider itself offered the solution, I also really loved the Fastback look which had me debate on the full soft tops also, I already knew the TWILL OPTION is a must, its a very dark black, with really quality fabric (Same fabric found on mercedes convertibles etc) that will look healthy for years to come were the diamond is not-so-nice and will age, you can search up videos for the differences.

As much as I really wanted to be able to go full naked, like the Ultra offers, I couldn't justify spending $3000 CDN for 2-3 months of the year (basically ~$1000 more than regular trektop). So, a few extra hundred dollars was the difference between the Sunrider and the Trek Top, and I decided well, I might aswell go for the trektop as I will 100% get the sunrider feature, but also have the option of bikini and fastback look. I mean, nobody sits in my back seats anyways lol.

Hope this helped.

@T_Willys

Bestop

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
The Bestop Team
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JKU
Hey Guys!
The full installation is a bit more complicated on the Trektop Ultra but in my opinion not enough that it should sway your decision. Both are pretty simple to install/uninstall.
When you have the 3 rear windows off of the Trektop and fold the Sunrider back, you'll probably forget that you aren't topless. It's a pretty great configuration. Alternatively, the Trektop Ultra folds completely back from there incredibly easy.
The Trektop has a flat profile on top whereas the Ultra has a bit more hardware up there giving a bit more shape to the room. Neither a pro nor con but some people prefer one or the other.
Twill is a big step up from the black diamond in many ways, we have a rebate going on until the end of April as well (even if it's just a few more days).
I hope that clears things up for you a bit and please let me know if you have any other questions I can help with!

Lee
- the Bestop team
www.bestop.com

y2kcbr600

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU
Hey Guys!
The full installation is a bit more complicated on the Trektop Ultra but in my opinion not enough that it should sway your decision. Both are pretty simple to install/uninstall.
When you have the 3 rear windows off of the Trektop and fold the Sunrider back, you'll probably forget that you aren't topless. It's a pretty great configuration. Alternatively, the Trektop Ultra folds completely back from there incredibly easy.
The Trektop has a flat profile on top whereas the Ultra has a bit more hardware up there giving a bit more shape to the room. Neither a pro nor con but some people prefer one or the other.
Twill is a big step up from the black diamond in many ways, we have a rebate going on until the end of April as well (even if it's just a few more days).
I hope that clears things up for you a bit and please let me know if you have any other questions I can help with!

Lee
- the Bestop team
www.bestop.com
Do you have tan Twill? I couldn't find it on your site and sent an email Sunday.

Sponsored

Iwantfullauto

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
I just got a trek top and so far I love it. I was also on the fence due to not being able to go 100% topless. That has turned out not to be a problem at all. I take the two rear windows out and stash them in my tuffy trunk thingy, then I remove the rear, roll it up, and bungie cord it behind the rear seat on top of the tuffy box. Then just undo the rear snaps and fold the rear portion forward, then fold the sunrider back on top of the folded up rear part. It is almost 100% topless. The only area still covered is mostly above the sound bar and maybe a few inches of the rear seats. It is a very good comprise and everything stays in place up to 85mph. The best part is, if I get caught in the rain I have everything with me to seal her up again. If you search trektop on you tube there is a guy with a red JL that explains how to un hook the rear portion of the top, but all you have to do is look at it and it is pretty much self explanatory.

With the top up it does not make any flapping noises at least up to 90ish mph. I went with the twill and it seams very nice. I am 100% happy so far. I will be swapping back to the hard top in October or November.

Liz86

First Name
Elizabeth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep jl
Hey Guys!

Lee
- the Bestop team
www.bestop.com
Are you able to store the rear windows of the trektop ultra in the cargo area of the Jeep?

markpc13

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
self employed
I just got a trek top and so far I love it. I was also on the fence due to not being able to go 100% topless. That has turned out not to be a problem at all. I take the two rear windows out and stash them in my tuffy trunk thingy, then I remove the rear, roll it up, and bungie cord it behind the rear seat on top of the tuffy box. Then just undo the rear snaps and fold the rear portion forward, then fold the sunrider back on top of the folded up rear part. It is almost 100% topless. The only area still covered is mostly above the sound bar and maybe a few inches of the rear seats. It is a very good comprise and everything stays in place up to 85mph. The best part is, if I get caught in the rain I have everything with me to seal her up again. If you search trektop on you tube there is a guy with a red JL that explains how to un hook the rear portion of the top, but all you have to do is look at it and it is pretty much self explanatory.

With the top up it does not make any flapping noises at least up to 90ish mph. I went with the twill and it seams very nice. I am 100% happy so far. I will be swapping back to the hard top in October or November.
I'm also on the fence with the trektop vs the ultra. Didn't know you could flap up the rear and fold over the front like that. Could you post a pic of what that looks like? Thanks
Sponsored