Sponsored

JL Bestop TrekTop ultra

SDJeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon 2018
Hi,
Has anyone had latch issues with new JL TrekTop ultra? See long story below :)

I just installed the new Trektop ultra and I love it so far, looks great, easy install directions pretty easy to follow some parts vague, BUT the passenger latch spring doesn’t work. When I first installed and locked it it stayed locked, but once I drove to work today on the freeway going 70 mph I noticed wind noise and latch unlocked! Had to pull over and drive the rest of the way with top open. Inspected it once I got to work and noticed huge difference in spring between driver and passenger , nothing appears broken. Called @Bestop and the guy on the phone was first a little dismissive then was kind of nice. He asked for video of issue showing difference in springiness, I sent it a 1/2 hour later never heard back. Then emailed him to ensure video was sent still didn’t hear back then I called Bestop and left message and no call back! I’m hoping the latch can be replaced and not the top, It appears to be a separate piece connected with a few screws. I already had the floppy loud back window defect on last TrekTop and now this!! At least the costumer service was better on the last issue! Ugh!!
Sponsored

OP
OP
SDJeeper

SDJeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon 2018
Follow up to issue above! Called @Bestop this morning and spoke with William 5 stars for him! Showed care and concern and will be sending out a replacement top. Unfortunately they cannot just send out the latch. Bummer though, worst case scenario I have to wait 3-5 weeks for the part.

Red Rock N Roll

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Occupation
International Quality Control Manager
I'm replacing my OEM soft top with the Bestop TrekTop Ultra. Mine arrives in Phoenix on August 5th. Getting installed on the 8th. I will let ya'll know how it works once on my Jeep.

OP
OP
SDJeeper

SDJeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon 2018
So I got replacement latches, it worked! BUT now the driver side is loosening, replaced the latch (they sent 2). So after troubleshooting it’s still loose, it latches but I wouldn’t trust it going 70+mph on freeway. So I’m guessing it is a top defect. I hope no one else has this issue

JLHUTCH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n JLUR
SDJeeper I had same issue. And others. My latches arrived yesterday and I've yet to figure out how to remove latch in order to replace it. I have a flexible screwdriver bit but hasnt worked yet. How did you remove?
It has taken awhile to get this part. First they were going to send me a new header. After many times trying to get updates and figure out where this part was, it finally arrived. However they sent me a JK vinyl top! No header, no latch. The top wasnt even the top for my Jeep.
Other issues is the top coming out of the rails. Not fun to take apart and put back in the glider rails. has happened 5 times or so. Hydraulic part on the side of the top snapped off yesterday while trying to close top.
Has anyone else had their top fall out of the glide system?
I am thinking I got a lemon. Maybe I need to ask for a replacement and get the Supertop Ultra as they have kinks worked out?

Sponsored

OP
OP
SDJeeper

SDJeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon 2018
SDJeeper I had same issue. And others. My latches arrived yesterday and I've yet to figure out how to remove latch in order to replace it. I have a flexible screwdriver bit but hasnt worked yet. How did you remove?
It has taken awhile to get this part. First they were going to send me a new header. After many times trying to get updates and figure out where this part was, it finally arrived. However they sent me a JK vinyl top! No header, no latch. The top wasnt even the top for my Jeep.
Other issues is the top coming out of the rails. Not fun to take apart and put back in the glider rails. has happened 5 times or so. Hydraulic part on the side of the top snapped off yesterday while trying to close top.
Has anyone else had their top fall out of the glide system?
I am thinking I got a lemon. Maybe I need to ask for a replacement and get the Supertop Ultra as they have kinks worked out?
Hi JlHutch, I used a 4mm Allen wrench to remove latch. Bestop is sending me a new top, hopefully I get the right one!! Such a bummer since I waited so long to get it and now I have to wait 3-5 weeks for replacement :(

JLHUTCH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n JLUR
Hi JlHutch, I used a 4mm Allen wrench to remove latch. Bestop is sending me a new top, hopefully I get the right one!! Such a bummer since I waited so long to get it and now I have to wait 3-5 weeks for replacement :(
Thanks! I am about to make the call on the broken hydraulic part. Not sure what will happen. Id hate to wait that long for a new top after waiting so long initially too. If I have to wait for a new top then my summer will be over and ill be ready to put hardtop back on. ugh

OP
OP
SDJeeper

SDJeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon 2018
Thanks! I am about to make the call on the broken hydraulic part. Not sure what will happen. Id hate to wait that long for a new top after waiting so long initially too. If I have to wait for a new top then my summer will be over and ill be ready to put hardtop back on. ugh
I got the new top in 1.5 weeks way sooner than promised! Replaced it, BUT the the driver side latch loose. Not sure what’s going on with these latches . I’m going to take the latches off my old TrekTop since those were solid and tight and put them in this one. Hoping it works!!
Sponsored