Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Good Evening All,

Long story short and I’m sure you have seen several posts I’ve made on batteries, ESS and Genesis dual battery system.

Since installing my Genesis System it’s been great with zero issues and my current maintenance schedule for charging is once a week I will put it on a NOCO 10 for a day or so and once a month I will use a Odyssey 20 for several days as it does a deep cycle charge and conditioning as it holds the 14+ volts longer to my batteries as directed by Full River.

Well I have been testing shortening my regime of charging and and leaning towards a bi-weekly upkeep as it is a daily driver but I have a very different schedule and only work normally 14 days a month and my commute round trip is 30-40 mins one way and on average I would say the most with traffic is 90 mins total sometimes but again it’s not everyday.

With my normal weekly charging my normal starting and running idle voltage is 14+ and within 20 mins it’s about 13.3-13.5 but since I have been charging less getting back to the 13.3-13.5 seems to take longer so my question is does my stock alternator in my Jeep just not have enough kick to bring my dual 64 aH batteries back to that as quickly, I don’t have a tow package so guessing its a 200 amp alternator but I know the alternator only puts out a percentage of those amps based on battery size but I don’t have stock batteries so guessing it’s just going to take longer.

I have zero issues as far as I can tell because after driving for an hour the batteries meter at 12.8-12.9 after the float charge drops off and even after parked for 24 hrs the batteries are disconnected from each other they meter 12.6-12.7

I don’t have an issue continuing to do my weekly upkeep just thinking if I can get by with less and not harm the batteries with a shorter life that would be grand.

So much for my long story being short ….lol
Sponsored

Ct_Formula

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JL, 2011 JK Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Self Employed
I love my NOCO and Genesis system, I use them in conjuntion with my sPod touch screen and whenever my voltage looks low I plug in the two pigtails and let it go over night.

OP
OP
WranglerMan

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I love my NOCO and Genesis system, I use them in conjuntion with my sPod touch screen and whenever my voltage looks low I plug in the two pigtails and let it go over night.
Well I currently don’t have a quick voltage reference as I don’t have a sPod screen or G screen from Genesis so I have basically just been plugging in my NOCO 10 once a week for 12-18hrs then once a month use my Odyssey 20 for several days to kind of do a deep cycle recondition.

But in my normal fashion to overthink think things I was trying to go to a bi-weekly charge schedule using the same chargers but then I noticed that my EVIC voltage display was staying at 14+ volts for a longer period but I keep forgetting that I basically have 128 aH worth of battery to charge with a alternator that maybe was never meant to do that and then I keep forgetting that the Cole Hersee solenoid pulls a lot keeping the batteries connected until the main gets to 12.7 and then disconnects.

I do admit that so far just doing biweekly charges don’t seem to hurt as my resting connected voltages on the batteries even after parked for two or three days have been in the 12.55-12.75 range

Maybe than overthink it I will just keep doing my weekly charges as my NOCO 10 hangs on the wall and it literally only takes a few minutes to connect and plug in.

My end goal is to squeeze as much life from these batteries as I can so I have been trying to keep them at max charge but from talking with Full River these are not as prone to cyclic discharge death as a lot of other batteries but do have a cycle death like all batteries.
Sponsored