Badlands Question

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, YJ, Impreza
I'm going to be heading out to the Badlands in Attica and had a question about it. It's going to be our first time ever going out, so I would consider myself not well experienced.

It sounds like a good place to start is to head over to the "SUV Area" and choose the green trails? Are there any other trails you would recommend trying? Is there a good map out there that highlights the colored trails?

Thanks!
Sponsored

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Sounds like I need to check that place out over the next year or so.

TaZ_65

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Was there a few weekends ago for the first time with Jeep Jamboree. We touched a lot of ground, your Jeep will be capable in many different areas. Have fun in the dunes, make your way through the trees (some of the trails are tight and can get you a little twisted with some off camber stuff), find the creek and run to the tubes, head over to the quarry and watch some people climb up what seem to be cliffs. Lots of fun to be had at Badlands!

OP
OP

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, I chickened out at the last minute after watching some videos on youtube. While I'm sure my Jeep will be capable enough I don't know that I am. :) My biggest thing is trying to figure out what trails are at the appropriate levels. I wanted to do the green trails, but they are not mapped out that I can see. I also don't want to be driving down what I think is a green trail, then all of a sudden, take a wrong turn and be on a highly technical trail with no experience or guidance.

I've seen the general overview map, and maybe the staff can guide you which trails to take, I don't know. The one green trail I saw had a pretty steep hill climb, and maybe it was just the video angle, but it didn't seem like something I wanted to tackle on my first trip by myself.

It would be helpful if there was something I can see where I should start off here and once I gain my confidence and driving style I can work my way up to the next level.

I also did see the Jeep Jamboree there this year, but I missed out on it. Had I known about it in advanced, I would had surely signed up for it. It costs a lot, but I think it would be helpful to have people guide you on the trail and tell you what to do. At least until I can figure out what's what.

TaZ_65

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Well, I chickened out at the last minute after watching some videos on youtube. While I'm sure my Jeep will be capable enough I don't know that I am. :) My biggest thing is trying to figure out what trails are at the appropriate levels. I wanted to do the green trails, but they are not mapped out that I can see. I also don't want to be driving down what I think is a green trail, then all of a sudden, take a wrong turn and be on a highly technical trail with no experience or guidance.

I've seen the general overview map, and maybe the staff can guide you which trails to take, I don't know. The one green trail I saw had a pretty steep hill climb, and maybe it was just the video angle, but it didn't seem like something I wanted to tackle on my first trip by myself.

It would be helpful if there was something I can see where I should start off here and once I gain my confidence and driving style I can work my way up to the next level.

I also did see the Jeep Jamboree there this year, but I missed out on it. Had I known about it in advanced, I would had surely signed up for it. It costs a lot, but I think it would be helpful to have people guide you on the trail and tell you what to do. At least until I can figure out what's what.
It was pricey, but really helped build my confidence. It's something to look into. I was in the lowest group, and it was a lot of fun to not have to worry about where we were going or if we were going to get into something a little too spicy. If you want to fill that offroad itch (i'll probably get hate for this), try renting their RZRs for a half day. You can explore in something that isn't yours and get a feel for the park, and then decide if you wanna take your Jeep out.

Sponsored

Kreepin1

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ7, 2006 TJ, 2012 JKR, 2021 JLR
Build Thread
Link
I’ve been going to the Badlands for over 20 years. Trail color does not indicate level of difficulty. Do not run the Green trail, or any color trail, or the Tubes without a guide. You will be fine in and around the dunes, air down to 12-15 psi. You can air up at the back of the upper parking lot.

Our club hasn’t been very active lately, but we will have an “Off road 101” ride sometime this year. Look up 4xFools on Facebook

OP
OP

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It was pricey, but really helped build my confidence. It's something to look into. I was in the lowest group, and it was a lot of fun to not have to worry about where we were going or if we were going to get into something a little too spicy. If you want to fill that offroad itch (i'll probably get hate for this), try renting their RZRs for a half day. You can explore in something that isn't yours and get a feel for the park, and then decide if you wanna take your Jeep out.
Your reply makes perfect sense and I think it's probably something to look into. I'll have to see if there's a mailing list because these pop up all the time, but I usually see them after the fact. You're right, it is pricey...but I was thinking about it and you have a bunch of trail guides out there all day educating you. I've never been to a jamboree or a one day course, but it's more than just a trail ride, it's a course in how to drive. I guess we just have to think of it that way.

And the razor is a great idea. I was going to go with my family down there, but maybe it's better to go alone to figure out the lay of the land and then come back with the family.

OP
OP

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’ve been going to the Badlands for over 20 years. Trail color does not indicate level of difficulty. Do not run the Green trail, or any color trail, or the Tubes without a guide. You will be fine in and around the dunes, air down to 12-15 psi. You can air up at the back of the upper parking lot.

Our club hasn’t been very active lately, but we will have an “Off road 101” ride sometime this year. Look up 4xFools on Facebook
It's good information about the trail colors/difficulty and guides. I found a web page that said to start with green, as it's the most mild. Then the pink trail is very difficult and require's 35's and a locker. The orange trail is very tight and expect scratches. There's a number of people that say just go there and have fun, but at the last minute, I started to have another gut feeling about it.

I also started looking into different clubs, but unfortunately, everything is on facebook. I hate joining fb just for that because it's easy to get sucked in, but I may have to. I'm starting to get the feeling that what I originally thought would be fun solo, may be a better experience and safer as a group.

No Spark V6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubi 3.0 GCM
Clubs

I did the jamboree this year and it was absolutely worth it. My first Jamboree and first time as a driver at the badlands. I ended up going up two groups because the others filled up and I was hesitant about being in over my head but I'm glad I did it. It's pricey at first but when you think about everything that goes into it, I wouldn't say its overpriced. The trails were great and I definitely was pushed beyond my comfort zone, had I gone with friends or alone(not recommend), but I can tell I'm a much better driver from those two days. I would say if you decide to go in the future, go to the quarry, creek, and tubes and get a feel for it.

OP
OP

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the reply. It seems like I've read a lot of different responses to badlands threads and the general consensus is go and have fun. I'm glad to hear that others are cautioning against going alone.

I'm glad I didn't go because I think I would had been over my head. I'm also going to keep my eyes open for other jamborees. Like I said above, when I first looked at the price I was taken back because it's not cheap. But when you think of it as you have people there teaching you what to do and not do, it's worth it.

Sponsored

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
It's good information about the trail colors/difficulty and guides. I found a web page that said to start with green, as it's the most mild. Then the pink trail is very difficult and require's 35's and a locker. The orange trail is very tight and expect scratches. There's a number of people that say just go there and have fun, but at the last minute, I started to have another gut feeling about it.

I also started looking into different clubs, but unfortunately, everything is on facebook. I hate joining fb just for that because it's easy to get sucked in, but I may have to. I'm starting to get the feeling that what I originally thought would be fun solo, may be a better experience and safer as a group.
That’s the only thing I’m back on FB for. I couldn’t find another social media platform active enough for local get togethers.

OP
OP

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That’s the only thing I’m back on FB for. I couldn’t find another social media platform active enough for local get togethers.
I saw the hoopla on the other thread about fb. I was on it at first, then quit probably about 3 or 4 years ago to avoid the drama. Unfortunately, many Jeep groups use it so I'm thinking about joining again just for that. There's also a lot of businesses that seem to use it, so if you don't have it, it's very difficult to find information.

I'm not knocking it, it's free hosting that they don't have to pay for. It just makes it very difficult for those that don't want fb.

XJfanatic

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2020 JT, 1990 Mustang
Build Thread
Link
I despise Facebook. But marketplace is better than Craig’s List and there is certain military info I can only seem to get through it. Than again it banned me from posting in groups today…

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I despise Facebook. But marketplace is better than Craig’s List and there is certain military info I can only seem to get through it. Than again it banned me from posting in groups today…
Oh, same here. I left and honestly missed being able to reach potential buyers for our stuff as we no longer needed things.
Sponsored