Back Up Camera wire smashed

traviswalker007

First Name
Tony T Walker
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Does anybody know how to fix or splice the back up camera wire? i tried soldering the center wire under the plastic sheathing but did not work. Jeep does not offer the pigtail replacement yet and all the sell is the entire tire carrier unit with everything. I pulled the camera off, and cut the other end of pig tail off were it connects to the tailgate wire, was thinking of taking it to a audio video store to see if they could splice it. I cannot find the type of wire that jeep uses or the connection. Has anybody done this of can give me an idea?
Sponsored

bwilliam79

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F-150, 2018 JLUR
Believe it or not, I made this exact same mistake when I put on a tire mount relocation bracket. I called the local Jeep dealership and they said they could get the wire for me, but it was over $100 and wouldn't be available for a couple of months. I ended up splicing my wire back together. Unfortunately, I only took a before picture, but this is what I started with.

upload_2018-10-22_10-51-13.png

I took a small piece of shrink tube and placed it over the white wire and a large piece of shrink tube over the outer wire (you can actually see the larger shrink tube on the left, right at the edge of my desk), then soldered the break back together. Moved the smaller shrink tube over the solder joint and put a heat gun to it to set it in place. After that, I just pushed the wire mesh back together as best I could, then moved the larger shrink tube over that portion and put a heat gun to it. It has worked like a charm ever since.

It's a simple RCA style cable as best I could tell, but fortunately I was able to salvage mine.

bwilliam79

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F-150, 2018 JLUR
Correction. I looked up my chat history with the dealership and it was $76 for the cable. I broke mine in mid-August and at the time, he said I'd be lucky to have it by October.

OP
OP
traviswalker007

traviswalker007

First Name
Tony T Walker
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Believe it or not, I made this exact same mistake when I put on a tire mount relocation bracket. I called the local Jeep dealership and they said they could get the wire for me, but it was over $100 and wouldn't be available for a couple of months. I ended up splicing my wire back together. Unfortunately, I only took a before picture, but this is what I started with.

I took a small piece of shrink tube and placed it over the white wire and a large piece of shrink tube over the outer wire (you can actually see the larger shrink tube on the left, right at the edge of my desk), then soldered the break back together. Moved the smaller shrink tube over the solder joint and put a heat gun to it to set it in place. After that, I just pushed the wire mesh back together as best I could, then moved the larger shrink tube over that portion and put a heat gun to it. It has worked like a charm ever since.

It's a simple RCA style cable as best I could tell, but fortunately I was able to salvage mine.
First off thank you for responding!! nice to see someone else did the same thing LOL. I did try to splice it but the camera was still blue screen when i plugged it back in? do i need to reset the battery or did i do it wrong?? i ended up cutting the cable to short so im looking for similiar cable to slice into and make it longer, any ideas??

bwilliam79

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F-150, 2018 JLUR
I didn't have to reset the battery. If you're still getting a blue screen, I'd say the splice is bad at a minimum. You could always test the camera by redoing the splice and just hooking the camera up (without installing) to make sure it even works. Assuming the camera is good, I'd think you are on the right path by looking for a thin RCA style cable to remake/replace the bad section to get the length you need.

Sponsored

firedog561

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Moab
Occupation
Retired

do you know what the part number for the camera wire is?

bwilliam79

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F-150, 2018 JLUR
Unfortunately, I don't. I just texted a picture of the part to the dealer and they were able to look it up to give me a cost. Sorry.

bwilliam79

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F-150, 2018 JLUR
Yes, in theory you should be able to solder in your own extension using another RCA cable. I just repaired mine vs extending, but the work required is the same. As long as you're careful and do a good job with insulating the inner cable from the outer mesh, you should be good. Heat shrink tubing is your friend for this work. :) Good luck!

Sponsored

AmericanMule

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Bright White 3.6L
Occupation
Traveler
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, in theory you should be able to solder in your own extension using another RCA cable. I just repaired mine vs extending, but the work required is the same. As long as you're careful and do a good job with insulating the inner cable from the outer mesh, you should be good. Heat shrink tubing is your friend for this work. :) Good luck!
Also this is an option depending on where it was smashed. Sometimes the challenge is a little more enjoyable. I believe this is the only one I could track down. I plan on adding a tire carrier so this should do the trick.

https://www.amazon.com/EAG-2018-201...s+jl&qid=1551795961&s=gateway&sr=8-4-fkmrnullhttps://www.amazon.com/EAG-2018-201...s+jl&qid=1551795961&s=gateway&sr=8-4-fkmrnull

https://www.amazon.com/EAG-2018-201...ra+harness&qid=1551728782&s=automotive&sr=1-7

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
I just fooked my camera line as well. I'll start with the splice attempt and move to the EAG bits if that fail.

Thanks! :beer:

cball508

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler 392
I did the same. Got the wire/harness in today. This part number is a replacement for backup camera and third brake light wire. It comes with harness, grommet for the door, and wrapped together like the factory one. Hope this helps!

20190617_202546.jpg

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link

AmericanMule

First Name