Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Fire Captain
So, I've been working on getting my "Assist" function to work properly since taking delivery of my JLUR back in September. It has improved, but is still problematic...

Initially, I had no audio when I used the Assist (or SOS) function. My radio would mute, the screen would show "calling", the call would fail, the screen would show that it was retrying the call, it would connect, and then there would be silence as the call timer ticked away for a minute or two before the call would end on its own. This made signing up for Sirius XM Guardian service difficult as customer care reps only wanted to talk to me via the Jeep's built-in system. I attempted online registration, but it got hung up in the system somewhere along the way. Now mind you, my hands free calling via my phone's Bluetooth worked just fine, so I knew the microphone and speaker themselves were working OK.

At Sirius XM Guardian's suggestion, I brought it to the dealership for evaluation. They determined my registration was on hold and said that Sirius XM Guardian would now be activating it within 24-48 hours. A couple of days later, I tried Assist again. Same thing, call connected on the second attempt, but there was still no audio. I then tried SOS (as suggested by a Sirius XM Guardian rep) and something different happened. It still took two dialing attempts, but then the display said it was sending my coordinates and that the call could only be ended by Sirius XM Guardian. I kind of started panicking, who were they sending the coordinates to? I shut off the Jeep and the timer just kept ticking away for about 5 minutes. Then a couple of minutes later, the phone rang at my fire station. Dispatch was looking for me... Thank goodness a) I work for the fire department, b) I was at the fire station when I hit SOS, and c) the dispatchers obtained the registered owner's name from Sirius XM Guardian and they recognized it was me. Could have been a very embarrassing situation if I had tried SOS while I was at home. Dispatch said they were advised by SiriusXM Guardian that they had received a distress call at my fire station's coordinates, but that the driver was unable to communicate with them. At least I knew my account was active now!

Back to the dealership. After a MUCH more through diagnosis, they discovered I had a bad connection in my CANBUS system. Oddly enough, they said that the connection was related to my heated seats. They fixed the connection and then we tested the Uconnect system together. My audio was now working! Unfortunately, it still took two dialing attempts to get through. I could now however HEAR that the first attempt resulted in either a "busy signal" (for those old enough to remember what that sounds like) or the prerecorded message "your call cannot be completed as dialed, please check the number and try your call again". We reset the Uconnect system as suggested by the Sirius XM Guardian rep and I headed home as the update process was supposed to take far longer than I felt like waiting at the dealership. Overall though, a partial win.

Currently, (about two months later) my system still does not function properly. I have called Sirius XM Guardian a few times to test my Assist function and it still always takes two dialing attempts to get through. I believe I have thus far opened three "work tickets" with Sirius XM Guardian and have never received my promised call back with repair status info. I did receive one email from them that gave me instructions on how to reset my Uconnect system. Tired of waiting on them, I experimented a little the other day. I discovered that it doesn't matter if I use the Assist function to call Sirius XM Guardian, Uconnect Customer Service, or Jeep Customer Service. The call always fails on the first attempt. I now believe that this is a programming issue with the Uconnect system itself. My guess is that the system is somehow clipping off the start of the phone number that it is attempting to autodial. Its as if the built-in cell service is still initializing, but the Assist program has already started dialing.

So, now I believe I have confirmed this is a programming issue. Who is responsible for programming? Uconnect? Jeep? Sirius XM Guardian? How can I be the only one with this issue? Can this be fixed via an OTA update? Does the dealer have to manually reprogram my Uconnect radio? I'm really tired of dealing with this, especially since I figure I'll rarely (if ever) use the Assist function. With all this trouble, I really can't see myself continuing to subscribe to this service once my free trial period is up. Any suggestions on where to go from here?
Sponsored

TratzPatratz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sarge Green JLUR
Sorry to bump your old thread but I did a google search and am having this exact issue as you WRT it dialing the wrong number twice and only working on the 3rd apptempt.

I even pressed SOS like you did but waited on the phone and spoke to a rep to say I was testing the system (it send the coordinates to them incase you don't answer and they need to send help to you I suppose) However, even THEN on the SOS attempts it called the wrong number twice only to finally work on the 3rd time. This is a pretty glaring issue if you're wasting precious seconds dialing the wrong # if, heaven forbid, you actually needed 911 assistance.

On top of that my Uconnect app on my phone refuses to let me login. I'm conviced they're all related.

Did you ever get a solution to your problem?

OP
OP
tonygiotta

tonygiotta

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Fire Captain
Honestly, I stopped using the service almost two years ago, so I don't really remember. I feel like it was working OK by the time my free trial expired, but I don't remember for sure. I think some of my Uconnect issues (which I also believe were related) were due to my security gateway being bypassed so I could use my Tazer. Sorry, wish I had a better answer for you.

TratzPatratz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sarge Green JLUR
Honestly, I stopped using the service almost two years ago, so I don't really remember. I feel like it was working OK by the time my free trial expired, but I don't remember for sure. I think some of my Uconnect issues (which I also believe were related) were due to my security gateway being bypassed so I could use my Tazer. Sorry, wish I had a better answer for you.
Ok, thanks for your help.
with the way it's been working for me I don't think i'll be subscribing.

this system is 1/2 baked IMHO
Sponsored