Sponsored

Anyone try these Amazon Hood Locks?

DrDee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Beetle 2003, Sahara 4 door Silver 2020
Snip the cables and a battery is worth $25. I never said they were smart. I personally know someone who left a $1 bill laying in a cup holder and someone popped their window and only got $1.

In my youth most vehicles didn't have an inside hood or gas cover release but that changed. Some people will steal items with any perceived value and you don't have to be in the worst part of town for that to occur.
in my VW Beetle, they broke a window to get 2 quarters, go figure :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
What would thieves be after, that is under your hood? Seems like if they are going under the hood, they already have the tools required to strip it down, and a lock will pose no issues to them.

I just don't see the smash and grab type thief finding anything useful under your hood.
Once you’re in the engine bay it’s a simple matter to disconnect the horn rendering the alarm useless.

Miscreants don’t need a good reason to create mayhem... just opportunity.

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Once you’re in the engine bay it’s a simple matter to disconnect the horn rendering the alarm useless.

Miscreants don’t need a good reason to create mayhem... just opportunity.
Yeah, I'm assuming if someone's looking for a simple theft or just looking to cause trouble they would be enough for them to take a pass & look elsewhere. And FWIW the only times we leave our Jeep unattended for longer periods at night would be hotel parking lots, and typically they're well lit w/ some security on staff.
At any rate, I'll post back if I have anything negative to add :)

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
I installed these hood locks today. I would guess that it wouldn't take much effort to defeat these locks but they will likely deter the casual thief.

The edges were rough. I used fine grit sandpaper, a black sharpie, and Aerospace 303 to clean up the edges.

Installation was a breeze... maybe 10 minutes, max. I did replace the OEM latch mount on the hood to get a tighter clamp.

20191102_155645.jpg

Sponsored

dsgrey

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Apparently Bolt is finally shipping the hood locks after announcing them in December 2018. I had ordered mine from Quadratec in August and it shipped yesterday with a delivery date of next Wednesday.

VooDoo1

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S, 2007 FJ Cruiser
Apparently Bolt is finally shipping the hood locks after announcing them in December 2018. I had ordered mine from Quadratec in August and it shipped yesterday with a delivery date of next Wednesday.
Got my shipping confirmation & tracking # yesterday. I feel like a kid waiting for Santa.
Ordered from Quadratec on 8/15.

MojoHanky

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU V6 6M ($299 lease and driven like stolen), BMW 335D (400whp/600wtq)
Ordered mine today from Quadratec. Will be here Tuesday (maybe Saturday - I'm only 90 miles away). I assume I'll need to buy a rivet gun from Harbor Freight.
Sponsored