Anyone out there?

Shenanigans

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubi
I'm in Bay Area and I have a stock Sport S. Are there any beginner trails out here? I've never done this before. Will a stock Sport S survive?
Do you have the lsd rear diff?
Sponsored

DToxic

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
I'm in the bay area (san jose). also looking for people to go wheeling with. Only hit up Hollister hills so far...

530->408jeepney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sahara
Bay Area is where I’m at but Chico is home! Sahara with 6 speed. First Jeep and totally stoked.

mikej

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Yes, I have the Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle.
You'd do fine. You're already better off than most of the SUVs out there (even other Jeeps). Check out Hollister Hills, which has a range of trails and obstacles that you can practice on. There's also some fun trails such as Old Coast Road that are just real scenic drives.

Also, keep an eye out for open civilian classes from these guys: http://www.thedrivingcompany.com/ -- I've taken their class twice and they do a really good job of training people how to make the best of their rig, regardless of the rig itself (someone was out there in a Sprinter van, another in an old F150 with a camper in the bed).

Sponsored

530->408jeepney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sahara
You'd do fine. You're already better off than most of the SUVs out there (even other Jeeps). Check out Hollister Hills, which has a range of trails and obstacles that you can practice on. There's also some fun trails such as Old Coast Road that are just real scenic drives.

Also, keep an eye out for open civilian classes from these guys: http://www.thedrivingcompany.com/ -- I've taken their class twice and they do a really good job of training people how to make the best of their rig, regardless of the rig itself (someone was out there in a Sprinter van, another in an old F150 with a camper in the bed).

Thanks for the info. I’m a noob too, but would love to get the Sahara dirty sometime! If y’all are down let me know!

mikej

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
We (all the NorCal crew) should set up a day trip to go play around in Hollister Hills. It’s reasonably close and fun to play around in. There’s also Carnegie SVRA not too far away.

Shenanigans

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubi
Or we can head up to the sierras. Mormon emigrant trail area looks like a fun place to have a relaxed day. Surely plenty to see with tons of miles of backcountry roads. Never actually been back there. Trying to get a quick dirt fix until the long travel kits come out.

mikej

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Or we can head up to the sierras. Mormon emigrant trail area looks like a fun place to have a relaxed day. Surely plenty to see with tons of miles of backcountry roads. Never actually been back there. Trying to get a quick dirt fix until the long travel kits come out.
Got any pointers to trails? I couldn’t find anything on quick searches.

Shenanigans

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubi
Got any pointers to trails? I couldn’t find anything on quick searches.
I spent most of my time on the rubicon and fordyce with my prior jeeps. Also been on slick rock quite a bit. I’m going to be in stock form for a while so I’m going to avoid the difficult trails like the plague. I don’t have much experience with the more mild trails. The Sly park area off of 50 looks like it has quite a bit of trail, mostly fire road stuff, but still something to do. I’ve heard it is pretty washed out and you come across the occasional rock pile out there. It’s more scenic than anything from what I gather. The old iron mountain ski resort is still up there. It’s abandoned but looks like a cool spot to explore.

The other thing that i struggle with right now is my lack of knowledge of this vehicle and how it is setup. My old jeeps has onboard air and co2, all the recovery gear I ever needed, and I had spare axle shafts, drag links, drive shafts, etc.... most of the commonly broken parts I had ready to swap out on the trail. I knew what wrench to reach for because I built them. I had everything i needed to be self sufficient. This one will take some time to get to know. It’s also my daily driver now, the old jeeps weren’t. Gonna play it safe for a while until I get comfortable with it.

Last edited:

Sponsored

530->408jeepney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sahara
Ya I’m down! Been wanting to try to get out there, but because I have no prior experience and non of my friends have a Jeep it’s been challenging to find ppl that knows what they’re doing.

Shenanigans

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubi
Ya I’m down! Been wanting to try to get out there, but because I have no prior experience and non of my friends have a Jeep it’s been challenging to find ppl that knows what they’re doing.
I feel ya on that. Even myself going to just explore on fire roads and what not, I always have someone else in another vehicle to either help with recovery, or so we can help each other get out if one vehicle becomes disabled. I’m not looking for terrain with my daily driver that is going to cause major damage either cosmetically or mechanically. I’m not afraid to turn around, lol.

dvolpatt

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I'm in San Jose and just got my JLUR about a month ago. Looking to head over to Hollister to check out some trails in the near future. Thx for the info on the driving school was just starting to look around for such a thing. I'm a noob as well when it comes to Jeeps as this is my first one. If there's any meet ups feel free to add me to the list. thx

530->408jeepney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sahara
I'm in San Jose and just got my JLUR about a month ago. Looking to head over to Hollister to check out some trails in the near future. Thx for the info on the driving school was just starting to look around for such a thing. I'm a noob as well when it comes to Jeeps as this is my first one. If there's any meet ups feel free to add me to the list. thx
Dude me too! I’m in north San Jose.

Let’s do this y’all.