Sponsored

Anyone adding Exhaust or Active Sound System for Engine Noise?

Add Engine Sound to 4XE?

• Yes, active sound systems are awesome

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

LJ_3M121318

First Name
LJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
Hello,
So some people get the 4xe for the tax credits, others because they want it to be silent, others because its the shiny new toy.

I placed my order for the 4xe Rubicon for a variety of reason, but the least of which is the sound (or lack there of). In fact, the 4xe was neck and neck with the Diesel for me (due to engine sound).

One of the things that pushed me towards the 4xe is the aftermarket options that enable me to have authentic sound if I wanted.

There are actual exhaust systems I can add so that the 4xe makes the sound desired (Borla, MagnaFlow, Flowmaster, etc).

Alternatively, I've come across these active exhaust sound systems where they install a device that is in sync with the jeep and make any sound desired (inside and/or outside) when stepping on the gas, or in idle

https://www.millteksport.com/blog/post/active-sound-is-back-and-better-than-ever
https://www.sound-booster.com/en/sets/electric-vehicle.html
https://thor-tuning.com/
https://newatlas.com/soundracer-ev-engine-sound-eveess/54140/
https://insideevs.com/news/423722/video-tesla-model-3-exhaust-noise/

I'm still debating between the two types, either a real exhaust or a sound system. With the exhaust, I'm limited to the sound of the exhaust, whereas with the sound system I can make it a v8, diesel, hot rod, etc. I kind of like the sound system because you have flexibility with sound plus the ability to turn it off if you're in a situation where you need to be silent. However the thought of a sound system seems cheesy, so I'm going back and forth on which way to go.

Either way, the price is actually the same as the sound systems are very complex and are in tune with the vehicle in order to make real sounds at whatever RPM you are at.

Haven't seen much chatter on people wanting the sounds so I may be in the minority?
Sponsored

OP
OP
LJ_3M121318

LJ_3M121318

First Name
LJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
Need one more option “No, will be happy just the way it is”.

Choosing it had nothing to do with silence or non-silence...was never even a factor for me 😉
Well that's what I was thinking " No, I'm getting it because it's silent " was for, but I see your point. However, I don't want to add that yet, as I think 80% of the people will say they didn't even consider that as an option.

But I want to hear from people where that was a consideration- either they wanted no sound, or they did. There has to be a few others like me where sound played a small factor?

Demonic

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
Need one more option “No, will be happy just the way it is”.

Choosing it had nothing to do with silence or non-silence...was never even a factor for me 😉
Well that's what I was thinking " No, I'm getting it because it's silent " was for, but I see your point. However, I don't want to add that yet, as I think 80% of the people will say they didn't even consider that as an option.

But I want to hear from people where that was a consideration- either they wanted no sound, or they did. There has to be a few others like me where sound played a small factor?
I agree with Yipee that I think most people, including myself also, didn't care about sound or lack of when ordering.

Asterix2112

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler 4xe
Why would anyone want a car making fake noise? Heck of my electric cars (this is my third) this is the first with the low speed pedestrian noise, and it annoys the heck out of me (and that's a safety thing). I'm all for people doing what they want, but I could not fathom having speakers make a car sound fake!

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
On any other vehicle I want to hear the roar of the engine, and I've installed many aftermarket exhausts in the past. I'm not planning to touch the 4xe though for 2 reasons:
  1. It's a 4 cylinder so an aftermarket exhaust won't sound that great (IMHO) and could be very droney.
  2. Hybrid mode means lots of starting and stopping of the gas engine. I want those moments to be as seamless as possible (and Jeep seem to have done a good job with this). Making the exhaust louder would create a really jarring effect every time the gas engine kicks in.
Now you could go the "fake noise" route and maybe sidestep these issues. And those systems can be pretty convincing. I drove a BMW i8 and thought it sounded better than my buddy's Vette, then later learned it was all fake noise. Personally, I don't think it's worth the trouble though. I've got 2 motorcycles if I want loud revving engines :)

OP
OP
LJ_3M121318

LJ_3M121318

First Name
LJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
Why would anyone want a car making fake noise? Heck of my electric cars (this is my third) this is the first with the low speed pedestrian noise, and it annoys the heck out of me (and that's a safety thing). I'm all for people doing what they want, but I could not fathom having speakers make a car sound fake!
But these new systems don't sound fake. They are like $2,000 and if you watch the youtube videos you'll hear they sound real both inside and outside

OP
OP
LJ_3M121318

LJ_3M121318

First Name
LJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
On any other vehicle I want to hear the roar of the engine, and I've installed many aftermarket exhausts in the past. I'm not planning to touch the 4xe though for 2 reasons:
  1. It's a 4 cylinder so an aftermarket exhaust won't sound that great (IMHO) and could be very droney.
  2. Hybrid mode means lots of starting and stopping of the gas engine. I want those moments to be as seamless as possible (and Jeep seem to have done a good job with this). Making the exhaust louder would create a really jarring effect every time the gas engine kicks in.
Now you could go the "fake noise" route and maybe sidestep these issues. And those systems can be pretty convincing. I drove a BMW i8 and thought it sounded better than my buddy's Vette, then later learned it was all fake noise. Personally, I don't think it's worth the trouble though. I've got 2 motorcycles if I want loud revving engines :)
Good point on the actual exhaust. I think the sound system is probably the better option since you can turn it on or off depending on the situation you are in
Sponsored