Sponsored

4xe Active Noise Cancellation

greensprit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK, 4xe on order
Reading through my build sheet, it looks like the 4xe comes with Active Noise Cancellation. Trying to figure out exactly what this is, and how effective it is. Some other quick searches, it looks like Active Noise Cancellation (ANC) utilizes 4 microphones to sense road/engine noise and then use the premium audio system to generate sound waves that counteract the engine/road noise. This option was introduced with the 2.0L turbo a couple of years ago, but I can't seem to find any realworld experience with it. Anyone here have any experience with this system and how effective it is? Can it be toggled off/on?
Sponsored

Dryver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 4xe "Bridgette"
My 2020 Ram 1500 has it. Seems to work fairly well. Not sure if it can be turned off.

SargeWiegand

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon 4xe, 2020 Rubicon Recon
Reading through my build sheet, it looks like the 4xe comes with Active Noise Cancellation. Trying to figure out exactly what this is, and how effective it is. Some other quick searches, it looks like Active Noise Cancellation (ANC) utilizes 4 microphones to sense road/engine noise and then use the premium audio system to generate sound waves that counteract the engine/road noise. This option was introduced with the 2.0L turbo a couple of years ago, but I can't seem to find any realworld experience with it. Anyone here have any experience with this system and how effective it is? Can it be toggled off/on?
My 2020 Rubicon has it as well. It came with the 8.4 setup. It works really well with a soft top. I upgraded my stereo equipment and it messed it up due to the amps so I had to disconnect it. The cabin noise was noticeably louder...i just turned the stereo up some more.

PriceForFlight

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
I noticed that on my build sheet this morning, too. Sort of ironic that it has noise cancelling for the inside, but below 20mph it will emit a humming noise when in full electric mode.

hybrid3.0

First Name
Erin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JGC
Active noise cancelling inside; active noise producing when in electric only mode (keeps people from being run over by a whisper-quiet electric car). Micky Bly teased on an interview with TFL guys that Jeep was looking at branding a unique sound for the 4xe. We'll see if this actually made it to production...

Sponsored

blueweb

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 TJ Rubicon, '22 4xe Rubicon
but below 20mph it will emit a humming noise when in full electric mode.
I believe that sound is emitted outside of the vehicle for pedestrians to hear. Not so much for the inside. It's the noise you hear whenever a Prius or Tesla drives by you walking on the street.

AZpueblo

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Unlimited Rubicon, '22 JLUR 4xe
Active Noise Cancelling (ANC) is used when you make a call from the Jeep especially if the top is off or you have loud buzzy tires, for example. 2 Mics listen to background noise and 2 mics listen to your voice. The 2 background mics will then cancel out the extraneous noise to make your voice clear to your listener. A good example you can hear is when you use those BOSE noise canceling headsets, it effectively cancels out the background noise you you can hear the music much better and clearer. As someone else mentioned, in my '19 Rubi, I can actually make a call with the top off while rolling down the highway and it's pretty clear. With the top on and my MT tires, the person on the other end of the phone can't hear my tires buzzing away. So bottom line, it improves your voice audio when you use the phone.
Sponsored