Another uConnect 8.4 nav with amp weird issue

Pat’s Sahara Unlimited

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
Sorry if there is a thread that addresses my question - just send me to the right one... I've been searching of the past 3 hours...

My radio has blessed me with a lot of issues in the past, but they always corrected themselves or I found a work around to fix things.

in the past, I had garble coming out of the radio while driving. worked fine then I touched the HVAC button on the unit and bang, bad sound. Already out of warranty by 4 months, I made an appt with the dealer for the next week, but took the jeep the next morning and everything was ok so I cancelled. I did learn that the head unit is around cdn$2,700...

Lately, at start up the radio would not have sound. I had control over the radio station, the volume bar moved, but no sound. I'm usually on Sirius, but I discovered that if I cycle the band to AM, sound would reappear and work as usual. i had a fix, so that's good.

Today I got the worst bug - again, I'm out of warranty for the past 9 months... The head unit is dead. Luckily all my HVAC buttons work, but no display. Some had issues where they had the black screen but still had the temp and icons popping up - me, nada. So I can have AC, but I have no idea what temp I put it on.

I tried to reset the unit by removing the fuse, and I do get the welcome screen but it turns black again with not even ac temp showing. I fudged with the system enough (removing the fuse and tried holding the on/off and band selection buttons simultaneously) enough times (I even chipped the fuse puller!) that when I pull and reisntall the fuse, I now at least get a generic screen uConnect without the animation that stay on for 3 seconds before shutting down. I suspect and OTA software update that failed which prevent the unit from completely booting. I have not tried to unhook the batteries yet, simply because of the pain to reach the aux battery under the fuse box. That will be the next try.

I think I'm at the end of my batteries life (aux and main) - I'm reaching 4 years. I'm wondering if that could be the issue.

The fact remains that because the head unit controls all HVAC displays, I might be stuck to bite the bullet and get a new or refurbished one.

Anyone had a similar issue with their radio? Any miracle fix? Do you think the battery is the culprit as I suppose that the radio is hooked to that battery's circuit - that's its "raison d'ĂŞtre", isn't it, making aux stuff run on when the ESS is active? And if you have any suggestion to get an alternate radio that could be plug and play and allow both HVAC and the subwoofer to work at a reasonable price, please feel free to propose!

thx for the help!

Pat
Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
I suspect and OTA software update that failed which prevent the unit from completely booting.
Replied in the other thread, too, but try calling UConnect support. They helped me out with a bricked unit when I was past warranty. Don’t speculate that it was the update, but state it as fact. Don’t say it was flaky beforehand. “Everything was great, then this update came and after that it doesn’t turn on.”

The folks answering the phone get berated by angry customers all day. Kindness and levity go a long way with the right person.

OP
OP
Pat’s Sahara Unlimited

Pat’s Sahara Unlimited

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
Replied in the other thread, too, but try calling UConnect support. They helped me out with a bricked unit when I was past warranty. Don’t speculate that it was the update, but state it as fact. Don’t say it was flaky beforehand. “Everything was great, then this update came and after that it doesn’t turn on.”

The folks answering the phone get berated by angry customers all day. Kindness and levity go a long way with the right person.
I visited my dealer today, and I must admit I got great service. No argument, they will goodwill the replacement of the unit in exchange for me paying the time to do the work. this is a huge relief…

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
I visited my dealer today, and I must admit I got great service. No argument, they will goodwill the replacement of the unit in exchange for me paying the time to do the work. this is a huge relief…
Be sure to tell them you’d like them to apply the latest firmware- 40.1.
Sponsored