willcasp

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Clubs

I purchased mine today. $2999, allowing 3 hours of labor for installation on top of that. The units should ship next week. The main unit replaces the current uconnect. There is a second unit that is the brains, which goes behind the dash below the steering wheel.
Sponsored

Plasmadaddy

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Overland. 2019 Harley Davidson CVO Road Glide.
I purchased mine today. $2999, allowing 3 hours of labor for installation on top of that. The units should ship next week. The main unit replaces the current uconnect. There is a second unit that is the brains, which goes behind the dash below the steering wheel.
Forgive the stupid newbie question but what are the advantages of this alpine unit over the 8.4 UConnect system?

OP
OP
willcasp

willcasp

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Clubs

Forgive the stupid newbie question but what are the advantages of this alpine unit over the 8.4 UConnect system?
Short answer, based on Alpine's reputation... it is supported by the manufacturer and it will work.

Longer answer
1) If you did not purchase the 8.4" unit with your Jeep, this is the answer to get a 9" screen for Android Auto or Carplay. Jeep does not allow you to purchase an 8.4" unit after you get your Jeep. You do not have a supported channel to get software upgrades for it if you do manage to get your hands on an 8.4"... this is a shame, as any competent 12 year old can install this thing in about 5 minutes. It is all a software issue... I have seen a few other options for units from other companies I have not heard of or am not familiar with.
2) Many documented issues with the 8.4" unit on these forums. Jeep can't seem to support this unit. From my experience, they sound like software related problems that a semi-competent software group should not be having. This unit is garbage. Jeep can't seem to support it.

I expect that I will know more when I get my hands on the system. I see that it supports thing like a gauge screen, so I am wondering if there is some capability for something similar to off road pages, which would be a neat adder. If it just gives me a reliable USB connection so I can do Apple Carplay and get Waze on a 9" screen, that is enough of a win for me. The 8.4" can't seem to competently do that.

00Sebby

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ex-auto quality engr & mgt. Now just enjoy life.
I see it is also for Gladiator. I wonder how it handles the Gladiator front camera that for some stupid reason is not available for the JLUR.

Derek

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2-Door

Sponsored

00Sebby

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ex-auto quality engr & mgt. Now just enjoy life.
“An optional camera selector (sold separately) is available for drivers with multiple camera systems”
https://www.alpine-usa.com/product/jeep-wrangler-radio-apple-carplay-android-auto-x409-wra-jl
I saw that, but it wasn't clear to me if that supports the Gladiator HD and functionality or if it is for people adding their own generic cameras. I would not pay that much because I like the 8.4 so far, but I would love to be able to add the Gladiator camera with all of its functionality.

Plasmadaddy

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Overland. 2019 Harley Davidson CVO Road Glide.
Short answer, based on Alpine's reputation... it is supported by the manufacturer and it will work.

Longer answer
1) If you did not purchase the 8.4" unit with your Jeep, this is the answer to get a 9" screen for Android Auto or Carplay. Jeep does not allow you to purchase an 8.4" unit after you get your Jeep. You do not have a supported channel to get software upgrades for it if you do manage to get your hands on an 8.4"... this is a shame, as any competent 12 year old can install this thing in about 5 minutes. It is all a software issue... I have seen a few other options for units from other companies I have not heard of or am not familiar with.
2) Many documented issues with the 8.4" unit on these forums. Jeep can't seem to support this unit. From my experience, they sound like software related problems that a semi-competent software group should not be having. This unit is garbage. Jeep can't seem to support it.

I expect that I will know more when I get my hands on the system. I see that it supports thing like a gauge screen, so I am wondering if there is some capability for something similar to off road pages, which would be a neat adder. If it just gives me a reliable USB connection so I can do Apple Carplay and get Waze on a 9" screen, that is enough of a win for me. The 8.4" can't seem to competently do that.
Ok great, thanks for the info.

strange

First Name
I am
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU
I had my alpine X409 installed on my JL with a full custom audio system and running 3 cameras (rear, front, and undercarriage) everything worked great for about 400 miles then the unit started tripping out. It would just power down and reboot 24/7 over and over again. Never would stay on for more than 60 seconds. I wasn’t too worried because alpine has a reputation for taking care of their people. So they shipped out a new unit to my shop for free and it’s getting put in next week. I hope that fixes it, cause I must say when it works, it’s much better than the 8.4 I originally had.

Rcdanie

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara
I had my alpine X409 installed on my JL with a full custom audio system and running 3 cameras (rear, front, and undercarriage) everything worked great for about 400 miles then the unit started tripping out. It would just power down and reboot 24/7 over and over again. Never would stay on for more than 60 seconds. I wasn’t too worried because alpine has a reputation for taking care of their people. So they shipped out a new unit to my shop for free and it’s getting put in next week. I hope that fixes it, cause I must say when it works, it’s much better than the 8.4 I originally had.
what front and underneath cameras are you using? Is this camera function like the rear view just live no record? Thanks
Mine is being installed next week!

strange

First Name
I am
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU
what front and underneath cameras are you using? Is this camera function like the rear view just live no record? Thanks
Mine is being installed next week!
Using all alpine cameras including the z automotive front camera/mount. Correct they work just like the backup camera. No record feature that I’m aware of.

Sponsored

Wagoner

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2 dr
Anyone have an update to how their unit is working? Interested in upgrading from the 7inch uconnect

Terpsmandan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 2022 JLUR Diesel
Sorry to revive an old thread but can any of you who have one with the factory alpine amp say whether it sounds better than the 8.4 Uconnect?

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep wrangler jl
Not to sound absurd but finally coming across another individual who has somewhat the same issue. Mine goes off like losing power and comes back on almost like an issue with power. On off on off really frustrating as this thing ain’t cheap. Did you get yours fixed??? What was the remedy???

swampflyer

First Name
rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jlr-2015 jette tdi-2013 mb
Occupation
retired
Modern technology is just wonderful and amazing🤣 car radios from the 50,s 60,s and 70,s still going strong with out any updates etc.
Sponsored