Sponsored

Advice: Winter/Highway Tire & Wheel Setup

Deleted member 59498

You could buy a set of Willys take offs. Black wheels and the Firestone MTs are studable. They will be loud though as they’re already loud enough without studs.
They look like pretty good winter tires to me!
Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
They worked well for me. We had a weeks worth of snow last winter. Extremely, unheard of rare for here. They were awesome on powder. The narrow footprint was great. They would definitely need studs for ice.

Pics taken down the road from my house. 29.4 degrees south, 1200 ft altitude. 15f degrees out at noon. Mid February. This was the second snowfall of the week. Crazy.

Jeep Wrangler JL Advice: Winter/Highway Tire & Wheel Setup CE1D1402-40B8-4D9E-9A97-7D1133072A5C

Jeep Wrangler JL Advice: Winter/Highway Tire & Wheel Setup 855ED036-22DC-4BA6-94E6-0DC64614F191

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
I think this package looks better in white that the other packages do. Wasn’t really looking for white until I saw this one.

Kurlon

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4XE Rubicon, maybe?
I had Nokian LT3s, studded on my 19 Rubi, and wasn't impressed. This is after running Blizzaks on an 06 Highlander Hybrid that was a tank in snow. For my 21 Rubi I'm going to downsize the tire, go with a 235/80/17 LT3 to see if it'll finally have a proper bite in snow.

Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
You could buy a set of Willys take offs. Black wheels and the Firestone MTs are studable.
Studs have to be installed before a new tire takes a single rotation on the roadway. That's the policy of every tire store, and Service Dept., with whom I've discussed the matter.

The risk of studding any tire with existing road use is that insertion of a stud could cause hidden detritus in the tire's stud wells to immediately or eventually perforate the interior, causing deflation and loss of control when driving. This makes sense.

Here is Tire Rack's policy on the subject; scroll halfway down for the relevant text.

CrimsonGhost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys
Occupation
Systems Engineer
So, studs are left on tires, therefore, you would only use them on winter tires?

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
So, studs are left on tires, therefore, you would only use them on winter tires?
Once installed they cant be removed as far as I know. They wear down with the tread. They make a buzzing noise too. A guy in high school had a set on his van of all things. It was converted to 4x4 IFS with a bizarre setup I’ve only seen once before. Anyway. He would do 4 wheel burnouts with it at night and shoot sparks off the tires. Why it had studded tires in San Antonio? Who knows.
Sponsored