Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
All of the stuff for this project came from Menards:

1.) Cheap leather belt
2.) Bolts x2
3.) Well nuts x2
4.) Chrome fender washers x2

This project took about 45 minutes.

I only had to drill one (1) hole. The top hole in the tailgate was already there with a rubber plug. Not sure what the purpose of that hole was, but either way, it now has a purpose. I did drill the bottom hole not knowing what was back there, but sometimes you just have to go for it. Turns out I got lucky. I inserted the bottom well nut and attached the "custom made" leather pull strap. There is an unhappy cow out there in China somewhere. I dyed the cut ends of the strap with a black Sharpie. That's about it. :)

Jeep Wrangler JL Added Leather Door Pull Strap to Interior Tailgate 20210127_101009

Jeep Wrangler JL Added Leather Door Pull Strap to Interior Tailgate 20210127_101016

Jeep Wrangler JL Added Leather Door Pull Strap to Interior Tailgate 20210127_101003
Sponsored

LostNotStuck-Yet

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLR 2Dr
That looks good. I was tired of getting dirt on my hands every time I closed the tailgate too. I went for a webbing loop strap. I removed the tailgate trim panel to access the area behind the existing hole and used a single bolt - no well nuts.
Jeep Wrangler JL Added Leather Door Pull Strap to Interior Tailgate IMG_0720

Jeep Wrangler JL Added Leather Door Pull Strap to Interior Tailgate IMG_0721

Jeep Wrangler JL Added Leather Door Pull Strap to Interior Tailgate IMG_0722

Functions well - doesn't interfere with the latch - we'll see how it holds up.