Sponsored

Accessory ground connection question

Recon23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Wrangler Rubicon Recon
Hello everyone. I have a question related to the 3.6 e-torque. When adding high draw accessories like a winch or compressor how should they be connected to the battery?

My understanding is the positive connections would go directly to the positive post.

The reason I ask is on the negative post there is a small module with a wire coming out. I cannot find information on what that is. I thought that I read somewhere that it is not advisable to connect high draw accessories directly to the battery lug with that module or it will burn it up.
As for the negative connection I. The e-torque do I connect directly to the battery post or to the ground studs on the fender near the battery?

Where are you guys connecting to for high draw accessories? Any help is appreciated as I don't want to damage my electrical system. Jeep is a 2023 3.6 e- torque.

20230419_121816.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP

Recon23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In this picture you can see the square black module directly under the main negative battery cable as well as the ground studs on the fender.

OP
OP

Recon23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Common guys, there has to be someone out there with an e-torque that has added winches or air compressors that has run across this?

lashlee

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR 2.0 Turbo 4 (Wife's), Tesla M3P (mine)
High current consuming accessories need to go the battery terminals. Winch, compressors and stereos with large amps need to have a direct connection to the largest power supplying buffer in the system.

Dlit

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL Recon
Clubs

Common guys, there has to be someone out there with an e-torque that has added winches or air compressors that has run across this?
Did you ever get an answer to your question, I am getting ready to wire some fe4s and wanted to know the best way to connect to the negative terminal as well….

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
In this picture you can see the square black module directly under the main negative battery cable as well as the ground studs on the fender.
That module is the IBS, or Intelligent Battery Sensor. It monitors the health of the battery. It should be left in situ, irrespective of whatever other connections you add to the battery posts. Yes, there is a risk of damaging it if said connections aren't done safely and correctly, doubly so if they have high current demands.
Sponsored