Sponsored

AC strength varies with wind

johnbyron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sport S
I tried searching around, but I haven't seen anyone mentioning this issue, so let's ask.
When I am driving in the city, the AC blows as strong as it's supposed to (with level 1 being very low).
When I am driving on the highway, or on a windy day, the AC starts blowing much stronger, as if the wind was passing through. Level 1 becomes equivalent to level 3 of when the car is stationary. Is it expected? If not, what could be the issue?
I should also mention that everything works fine when I select air recirculation.
Thanks!
Sponsored

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
With or without recirculation??

SouthCo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Billet Silver Sahara
I always have my A/C (or heat) on AUTO and notice no difference in blowing force whether on the highway or slower local roads...

OP
OP
johnbyron

johnbyron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sport S
With or without recirculation??
Without. Everything works as expected with recirculation. When air comes from outside, air gets stronger with wind. This is with manual selection of temperature and strength, I haven't experimented with auto mode much.

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
Mine does the same thing. Wranglers HVAC pull from the cowl area, so the more wind there is outside the more air gets pushed into the HVAC. Recirculate blocks this from occuring.

Sponsored

OP
OP
johnbyron

johnbyron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sport S
Mine does the same thing. Wranglers HVAC pull from the cowl area, so wind gets pushed into the HVAC. Recirculate blocks this from occuring.
Makes sense. Not a big deal, but it's kind of bothersome, as level 1 is too strong when wind blows, especially considering that the vents are few inches from my hands

DanFelix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S
Mine does the same thing. Wranglers HVAC pull from the cowl area, so the more wind there is outside the more air gets pushed into the HVAC. Recirculate blocks this from occuring.
There are two modes for recirculate. If the fan is at 4 or higher, the recirc gate is partially open. If the recirc button is on then it is fully open. In all cases, air from the outside is allowed in for safety reasons.
Sponsored