A little help here please....

Shawnslady

First Name
Gloria
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 rubicon
Hey there, I just moved from a subaru wrx to a Rubicon that I bought 2 days ago. My hubby found wrx too cramped and we live on horrible muddy roads in Vermont. I loved my wrx, made this change for the hubby. I drove it home in a horrific wind storm and encountered many miles of frost heaves, aka mini mountains in the road ! I'm used to bobbing up and down on bumps not side to side. I'm nervous driving it, I'm afraid it's going to topple over. I need some help here, please reassure me that more time driving it will help me love it. I need some pointers on handling. It has pretty aggressive tires. Will a change in tires help? I want to keep this for my hubby. Help !
Sponsored

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
Hey there, I just moved from a subaru wrx to a Rubicon that I bought 2 days ago. My hubby found wrx too cramped and we live on horrible muddy roads in Vermont. I loved my wrx, made this change for the hubby. I drove it home in a horrific wind storm and encountered many miles of frost heaves, aka mini mountains in the road ! I'm used to bobbing up and down on bumps not side to side. I'm nervous driving it, I'm afraid it's going to topple over. I need some help here, please reassure me that more time driving it will help me love it. I need some pointers on handling. It has pretty aggressive tires. Will a change in tires help? I want to keep this for my hubby. Help !
I had 2 Wrx’s and 2 STIs. The handling is MUCH different, so it will seem scary. However, unless you are trying to take corners at 80- it’s not a tip hazard. After about a week you will get the feel for how it handles. And yes, tires change things. But if you go bigger- it will make it much more uncomfortable for you until you get used to the feel. Rubi stock wheels are a very good option, so don’t feel the need to dump them.

And yes, you’ll appreciate the off-road handling vs the Suby. I never felt overly comfortable driving and inch off the ground off-road.

OP
OP

Shawnslady

First Name
Gloria
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 rubicon
I had 2 Wrx’s and 2 STIs. The handling is MUCH different, so it will seem scary. However, unless you are trying to take corners at 80- it’s not a tip hazard. After about a week you will get the feel for how it handles. And yes, tires change things. But if you go bigger- it will make it much more uncomfortable for you until you get used to the feel. Rubi stock wheels are a very good option, so don’t feel the need to dump them.

And yes, you’ll appreciate the off-road handling vs the Suby. I never felt overly comfortable driving and inch off the ground off-road.
I'm psyched to go off-roading in it, besides my drive home ! but it will be awhile before that happens :( I feel like I can't even drive the speed limit with the frost heaves, and someone's going to rear-end me because I'm driving like my gram.
In town with smooth roads is fine. Just used to suby in turns and accelerating. Thanks for your input.

marjamr

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
I owned a 2015 WRX. You don’t want to drive the Jeep like you did the Subaru. You’ll scare the bejeezus out of yourself. Take it a little easier on the curves.
That said, my Wrangler Sport 2.0 reminds me of the WRX in the way it accelerates. Must be the turbo. Those are the only two vehicles I’ve had with a turbo.
Unrelated but for really fun driving you can’t beat a Mazda Miata. Had two of those and miss them dearly.

Stickerhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1997 TJ on 37’s, 2017 Powerstoke Tow Pig
Vehicle Showcase
If it is new like you say, check the tire pressure. They have been putting over 40psi in them which makes it ride hard and bouncy. Lower the air pressure to 32-35 will help. It is also a “brick” in the wind. It will not tip over but you will feel the blowing wind!
Welcome to Jeep ownership!

Sponsored

OP
OP

Shawnslady

First Name
Gloria
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 rubicon
I owned a 2015 WRX. You don’t want to drive the Jeep like you did the Subaru. You’ll scare the bejeezus out of yourself. Take it a little easier on the curves.
That said, my Wrangler Sport 2.0 reminds me of the WRX in the way it accelerates. Must be the turbo. Those are the only two vehicles I’ve had with a turbo.
Unrelated but for really fun driving you can’t beat a Mazda Miata. Had two of those and miss them dearly.
Thanks, I'm finding it takes a much slower pace. So doing the suggested speed limit on a well flat paved road is safe, it's just that not much on Vermont roads is smooth.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Thanks, I'm finding it takes a much slower pace. So doing the suggested speed limit on a well flat paved road is safe, it's just that not much on Vermont roads is smooth.
Make sure your vehicle has gotten an alignment, most don't as they roll off the dealer's lot like mine, and it drives all over the place and it's pretty scary on the highway, after an alignment you will feel much more in control of the Jeep.

Get it done ASAP.

OP
OP

Shawnslady

First Name
Gloria
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 rubicon
If it is new like you say, check the tire pressure. They have been putting over 40psi in them which makes it ride hard and bouncy. Lower the air pressure to 32-35 will help. It is also a “brick” in the wind. It will not tip over but you will feel the blowing wind!
Welcome to Jeep ownership!
Thanks for the 'tip', will lower the air pressure.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Your profile says 2016 Rubicon. That's an old model (JK) not the new JL. Is it the JK or JL.

OP
OP

Shawnslady

First Name
Gloria
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 rubicon
Make sure your vehicle has gotten an alignment, most don't as they roll off the dealer's lot like mine, and it drives all over the place and it's pretty scary on the highway, after an alignment you will feel much more in control of the Jeep.

Get it done ASAP.
Thanks !
Sponsored