Sponsored

A/C Air Mix Question

DanFelix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S
Does the a/c mix heater air to achieve the set temperature (and then send it out the vents) or does it cycle in and out to maintain the set temp in the cabin? Thanks.
Sponsored

PBosch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon XR
Does the a/c mix heater air to achieve the set temperature (and then send it out the vents) or does it cycle in and out to maintain the set temp in the cabin? Thanks.
It mixes it

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
There is actually a door in the HVAC housing called a mixing or mixer blend door. Even old manually controlled systems had this kind of mixing function.

Last edited:

TA1ton

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Depends on if you are in the auto setting on the climate controls. When in auto, it will cycle on and off as well as switch between heat and a/c to maintain the set temperature. When not in auto, it just mixes air and sends it out the vent at the set temperature. At least that’s the intent…

*edit: forgot to mention that the air mixing does occur in auto mode too, but it will also cycle as stated.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Depends on if you are in the auto setting on the climate controls. When in auto, it will cycle on and off as well as switch between heat and a/c to maintain the set temperature. When not in auto, it just mixes air and sends it out the vent at the set temperature. At least that’s the intent…

*edit: forgot to mention that the air mixing does occur in auto mode too, but it will also cycle as stated.
It's still unclear to me, with these climate controlled systems, if the AC compressor is in a routine duty cycle, maintaining the evaporator at the coldest temperature, while the mixer door controls vent output temps, even when it's cold outside. Once it gets cool around here, I'll have to check to see if the compressor is in its duty cycle, even when the set temp, in AUTO mode, is well above the ambient cabin and outside temps.

In my old cars with manual controlled systems, it's my understanding that when you put it in defrost, the AC system was activated to dehumidify the air first, by cooling it, then heating it to provide warm dry air. This maintained clear windows during those cool/cold rainy days.

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I have the Tech Authority manual and it has an imbedded video (or so it states), on how the system works, but it doesn't seem to run.
Sponsored