First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Train Operator
I’m wondering if it’s possible to install 8.4 uconnect out of a Ram, Grand Cherokee, etc. and be reprogrammed to work correctly? Is it even the same connections?
Sponsored

LanceM

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bigredpawdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL 2d
Occupation
System Admin
I would like to hear if someone was successful doing this.

LanceM

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bigredpawdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL 2d
Occupation
System Admin
Yesterday I attempted to install a 2016 8.4 from a RAM pickup into my 2018 Jeep JL. I bought the 8.4 off of ebay and it was a VP3 model. Once I installed it, I learned whoever had it had paid to upgrade the unit to a NAV model, but anyways.

As I had expected, the first issue I was going to face was the mounting. The current brackets would not work in the Jeep. Being handy, this was not going to be a show stopper. Also, it appears you might be able to change these mounts with star bolts on the side of the unit... Either way..Mounting was a going to not be a direct swap.

XM Radio appeared to be working and the unit was already (or still) subscribed, everything there seemed to work perfectly and the sound was honestly much better than my 7" radio (sorry but true).

Next up was testing the HVAC controls and this is where I ran into problem #2. HVAC controls are all over the place. Thinking that I just put the radio in and I have heard a couple of restarts helps calm the uconnect system, I skipped past this for now.

Then I went to the check the software versions. I noticed the app screen was all confused with many icons with missing images, and other icons with unknown names... But I was able to get into settings and could see right away that I was on version 17.11. Having the file already for 17.43 on a usb, I knew I was going to be upgrading this unit.

One of the next things I checked before upgrading was the read view camera. This is another issue. When I would click on the icon, I would get a black, then eventually blue screen. Doh another deal breaker, but maybe the upgrade would also address this as I have heard 17.11 would allow 2 cameras, and 17.43 would only work with one camera.

After playing some more with the HVAC system controls, as the heater was on, I gave up and did a factory reset and threw in the USB key to update to 17.43. As some of you know, you might as well go cook a turkey while waiting for this upgrade to perform. After a long wait, I saw the system reboot, and I was ready to test the non working HVAC and rear camera.

Well, cut to the end, while the factory reset/upgrade did address the missing icons and the system appeared to be alot more stable, the HVAC and camera were still a no go. At this point, I would recommend against trying to place any unit except a 4C model in our Jeeps.

Included a video for all of you to enjoy... I am not any type of youtuber, so dont hate...

kbuck13

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL US
I was ridding in the wife's 2019 Cherokee with the 8.4 and was wonder why it wouldn't work in my sport as well. i know that you swapped out one from a dodge and had some deal breakers but what about jeep to jeep?

LanceM

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bigredpawdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL 2d
Occupation
System Admin
Only the 4c model will work. None of the Harmans are going to function based on my test. Bummer!

Sponsored