70 miles and hour with back window removed

Kballard72

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler Rubicon unlimited
Perhaps the side windows were not in good though everything seemed tucked and clicked well enough.

The tongue along the body pushed out and came loose on the driver side cloth window allowing the c pillar to come loose and flap wildly against the body giving it dings like a minor hail storm.

Not saying a fault of design, lesson Learned over a jeep with cloth C pillars.
Sponsored

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
Perhaps the side windows were not in good though everything seemed tucked and clicked well enough.

The tongue along the body pushed out and came loose on the driver side cloth window allowing the c pillar to come loose and flap wildly against the body giving it dings like a minor hail storm.

Not saying a fault of design, lesson Learned over a jeep with cloth C pillars.
In Jeep's defense, they recommend not driving that way (although not for that reason).
EE2AAF73-F652-4E92-A720-86AA978A5472.jpeg

Chomper

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I've read about others losing their side windows on the highway when driving with the rear window only out.

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
Again, I don't understand why some elements of the new soft top seem to be perplexing so many people. To me, when I put the top up or take it down, it's fairly obvious that the back window is what really keeps everything tight and in place. Do you not feel the tension created when you stretch the back window's final tuck? I would never ever ever attempt to drive at any speed with the back window out but the side windows in, no matter how secure I would think them to be.

Sponsored

Therby

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL sport 2dr
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, this is the only thing I don’t like about JK-JL soft top.

JL soft top, all windows out or nothing.

Jk was nice to just roll up back window and leave everything else attached

OP
OP
Kballard72

Kballard72

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler Rubicon unlimited
25 years of online forums still easy to make fun of the OP.

It's called old habits, 4 jeeps, always pulled out the back window.

This design apparently killed that common way to run with the top Up.

Pink Brit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"GAMORA" Mojito JLR 6-speed manual :)
Occupation
Personal Trainer
25 years of online forums still easy to make fun of the OP.

It's called old habits, 4 jeeps, always pulled out the back window.

This design apparently killed that common way to run with the top Up.
So I found out today (thanks @shadowhunter22) that soft top JLs ship with two elastic straps with snaps on, and those elastic straps snap into the inside rear of the soft top, and are to hold the rear window in place when rolled up. I imagine this is just for lower speeds, and only when the two front windows are also fully rolled down (to avoid the exhaust gas buildup issue), but I've had my Jeep a month and only just found out today that the JL rear window roll-up is possible. I haven't tried it yet, but apparently it is quite possible ... I'll be giving it a go soon!

shadowhunter22

First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport
Purely anecdotal, but I've driven plenty at highway speeds with just the back window rolled up and have not seen any issues. I also have the rear windows down (or at least cracked) to avoid exhaust gas buildup, but never worried about the rear quarter windows coming out. Mine take a solid tug to even get loose in the first place when I want to remove them.

Sponsored

Pink Brit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"GAMORA" Mojito JLR 6-speed manual :)
Occupation
Personal Trainer
Purely anecdotal, but I've driven plenty at highway speeds with just the back window rolled up and have not seen any issues. I also have the rear windows down (or at least cracked) to avoid exhaust gas buildup, but never worried about the rear quarter windows coming out. Mine take a solid tug to even get loose in the first place when I want to remove them.
@shadowhunter22, thanks for replying here, i felt bad hijacking the other thread by accident. Can I ask, how do you roll the window. Do you roll it inside the rear quarter window braces like all of the pictures I've seen of JK windows rolled up?

I have a 2 door, so the only real windows I can roll down are the front ones, but I'd make sure they were open to avoid the gas buildup if the rear window is rolled up, and my rear quarter windows seem pretty solid, although I don't drive on the highway at all if I can avoid it. Rather take the scenic route any day :)

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
So I found out today (thanks @shadowhunter22) that soft top JLs ship with two elastic straps with snaps on, and those elastic straps snap into the inside rear of the soft top, and are to hold the rear window in place when rolled up. I imagine this is just for lower speeds, and only when the two front windows are also fully rolled down (to avoid the exhaust gas buildup issue), but I've had my Jeep a month and only just found out today that the JL rear window roll-up is possible. I haven't tried it yet, but apparently it is quite possible ... I'll be giving it a go soon!
So that’s what those are for! I’ll have to try when I put the windows in tomorrow.

RichD

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport S
Same here. I drove most of last summer with the rear window rolled up (used the Velcro straps). In retrospect I probably shouldn’t have due to the fumes. I’ll rethink it this season. But, at least to me, the side windows seem very secure. I really don’t think attaching the rear window makes much of difference. The side windows snap tight, the C pillars are tight in the pocket.
Sponsored