First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL / 2010 Jeep JK
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4xe vs. Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 392 | Quick Comparison
When Wrangler battles Wrangler, the winner is you

2021 has been a good model year for the Jeep Wrangler. Over the past twelve months, we've seen the introduction of both the V8-powered Rubicon 392 and the plug-in hybrid 4xe. Rewind 10 years and imagine how you would have felt if somebody even suggested a comparison between a plug-in hybrid and a V8 truck or 4x4, but here we are, and it actually makes a good deal of sense. They're both new, they're both quite powerful and quite capable. But which one is better? Let's take a look. For more information about Jeep Wrangler please visit the website here https://www.jeepzine.com/tag/jeep

IMG_7360.jpg

Let's start off with the challenger (small c): the 4xe. On the plus side, you get 22 miles of 100% electric range thanks to that 17kWh battery pack, which qualifies it for the full $7,500 federal EV Tax credit. That battery juices a powertrain with a total system output of 375 horsepower and 470 pound-feet of torque, which makes it the second-most-powerful Wrangleroffered from the factory (and tied for first in torque). The 4xe powertrain is available on the Sahara, Rubicon and High Altitude trims, which gives you several choices in both equipment and budget. Good start.

In the negative column, the 4xe loses virtually all of its efficiency benefits when you cruise long distances on the highway, and the turbocharged gasoline engine is pretty uninspiring when it's saddled with doing all of the work. Run the battery down and the 4xe becomes little more than an extra-heavy Rubicon 2.0T in the efficiency department. That's not great.

2021-jeep-wrangler-rubicon-392-171.jpg

With the 392, you get 470 hp to go with your 470 lb-ft of torque, it makes amazing noises, and it's a good bit quicker than anything else in the Wrangler lineup. Jeep says it'll do 0-60 in just 4.5 seconds (vs. nearly 6.0 for the 4xe) on the way to its 99-mph top speed. It also has a fancy, hood-mounted induction system that allows it to ford more water than any other Rubicon variant, and gets a functional hood scoop to go with it.

Cons? Well, there's that 99-mph top speed, which seems like a miss for a V8 model that can really only take advantage of that power in a straight line. It also gets miserably bad fuel economy, costs a fortune ($75k and up) and is only available as a Rubicon model.

JP021_452WRiev5nmd864nesep2iaeuqqjkce.jpg
3053ef00-eec0-11ea-befc-da4d724171bf.jpg

So, while I'm trying to convince you that the two are worth comparing, the reality as that they are two very different Jeeps for very different buyers. The Rubicon 392 is the apex Jeep; the one you buy to show off your superfan status. It's big, tall, loud and proud — a signal that the owner embraces a lifestyle of conspicuous consumption but with a folksy, blue-collar vibe. On the road the 4xe is the better all-around package. It feels more car-like than the 392 since it carries less weight in the nose, and it rides more like a regular Rubicon — bumpy, for sure, but more tolerable than the harsher 392. Sure, you're giving up speed and that glorious V8 howl, but they come at a hefty premium.

The 2021 Wrangler 4xe is the do-anything Wrangler. It demonstrates all of the flexibility that makes Jeep's iconic off-roader so endearing while simultaneously offering an added layer of practicality for a far more reasonable up-front premium. For $25k less than the Rubicon 392, you can walk away with a Sahara 4xe and a $7,500 tax credit, and if your commute is short enough, you may never pay a dime for gas. The future is here, and it's pretty darned good, which is not-so-coincidentally how I feel about the 2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe. I called it the best all-around Wrangler money can buy, after all, and hopefully this rundown helped explain why.
Great video guys! when is the 392 review out! I can’t wait for the gladiator rubicon 4XE. That would be my choice!
Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Unless you’re retired or have some other very unique circumstances, how does someone considering a $50k Jeep not pay at least $7500 in taxes? I pay like 7x that much and I ain’t that rich.
My VA payments aren't taxed because I'm medically retired. My regular job is. Now my wife has always done the taxes so I really don't remember what our actual rate is when you combine everything. 🤷‍♂️

Ratiogear

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
My VA payments aren't taxed because I'm medically retired. My regular job is. Now my wife has always done the taxes so I really don't remember what our actual rate is when you combine everything. 🤷‍♂️
Without other tax credits/writeoffs that you take advantage of, it's like 82000 joint filed income to have at least 7500 tax liability.

There are definitely individuals (perhaps like yourself) without 7500 in tax liability for whom a new 50k car can make financial sense, but I'm pretty confident it's a small bucket of folks.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Without other tax credits/writeoffs that you take advantage of, it's like 82000 joint filed income to have at least 7500 tax liability.

There are definitely individuals (perhaps like yourself) without 7500 in tax liability for whom a new 50k car can make financial sense, but I'm pretty confident it's a small bucket of folks.
It depends on where one lives as well. DFW area might have a higher cost of living (partially offset by no state income tax) than where I live now. A new Jeep would be out of the question if I lived elsewhere.

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
Be careful assuming your state Credit applies. The libtards up here in Maine limited the tax credit to vehichles with MSRP of less than 50K, dont want "rich" people to go green I guess ;) the credit is 1000$ and frosts my ass that pols pick the winners and loosers, especially if the intent it to push PHEV and reduce carbon foot print or what ever non-sense they use to justify these things.

How many folks would buy these when the 7500$ Fed kickback goes away??

Only question I have, in pure hybrid mode is the gas mileage better than a 3.6 or 2.0 Auto?
My Rubicon 3.6 Auto is avg 21.5 mpg and wife's Sahara same drive train, about 22.5 Would a 4XE beat that with out going thru the BS of plugging it in? at my utility rate a full charge would be about 2.75 a day, a wash with 1 gal of gas.

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Be careful assuming your state Credit applies. The libtards up here in Maine limited the tax credit to vehichles with MSRP of less than 50K, dont want "rich" people to go green I guess ;) the credit is 1000$ and frosts my ass that pols pick the winners and loosers, especially if the intent it to push PHEV and reduce carbon foot print or what ever non-sense they use to justify these things.

Only question I have, in pure hybrid mode is the gas mileage better than a 3.6 or 2.0 Auto?
My Rubicon 3.6 Auto is avg 21.5 mpg and wife's Sahara same drive train, about 22.5 Would a 4XE beat that with out going thru the BS of plugging it in? at my utility rate a full charge would be about 2.75 a day, a wash with 1 gal of gas.
I'm pretty sure it would depend on how much around town driving you do. Hybrids do better around town and only have a marginal increase in mileage on the highway compared to a non hybrid model.

If you don't have much city driving, the diesel would be a better option.

Ratiogear

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
Putting aside the very different drive feel, that would depend entirely on the type of driving at that point. If you are at 1% battery doing city, hybrid wins. If you are at 1% doing continuous highway for long ranges, the standard drive trains will do better. But I'm pretty sure you would know that if you bothered to read the threads you drop into on the 4xe forums to leave pithy remarks about libtards.

But your history of 4xe posts make it clear you just want to bash it, so I guess whatever makes you happy.

The 7500 tax credit makes these a great value buy if you're looking at medium-heavily specced, higher trim wranglers. If you're looking at base level rubicons/saharas/high altitudes, it's a small premium that comes with extra features. Personally, I don't think people should be upgrading from a stock sport or sport s and justifying the upgrade with the tax credit "all this value and options will be offset" type of mindset.

But again, once the tax credit runs out, I think they will start offering these in lower trim levels at a 3k-4500$ markup similar to the ecodiesel. And at that point, plenty of people will opt in for it.

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
I have never gotten less than 25 miles all electric, and once 30 miles. Not bad for $2.25 in electricity. Gas mileage with no battery power left runs mid 20's, occasionally as high as 28. Still not bad. Lastly, there is no price premium for the 4xe. After the tax credit, it is several thousand dollars less than a base Rubicon with auto, Alpine, LED and Rock-trac full time transfer case options. Additional state rebates make the deal even better. There is no economic argument justifying purchase of a non-hybrid.
Emphasis added by me.

No economic argument? I just configured a 4xE exactly how my 2-door JLR is configured- very minimally. Came to $55,875 MSRP. So assuming I can haggle 10% off MSRP and assuming I qualify for the entire $7,500 rebate (I don’t), I’m still $2,500 above what I paid for my jeep. And then factor in the intangibles, like I don’t want a four door jeep and I want a manual transmission...

Anyway, the point of my post is that for me, it’s absolutely not cheaper to buy a $55k 4xE compared to my $40k JLR.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Emphasis added by me.

No economic argument? I just configured a 4xE exactly how my 2-door JLR is configured- very minimally. Came to $55,875 MSRP. So assuming I can haggle 10% off MSRP and assuming I qualify for the entire $7,500 rebate (I don’t), I’m still $2,500 above what I paid for my jeep. And then factor in the intangibles, like I don’t want a four door jeep and I want a manual transmission...

Anyway, the point of my post is that for me, it’s absolutely not cheaper to buy a $55k 4xE compared to my $40k JLR.
One can argue that a 2 door manual is not "similarly equipped" to a 4Xe...

Ratiogear

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
Emphasis added by me.

Not saying you are wrong, because you're right that the poster is making too broad a generalization, but just wanted to point out that you can't configure the 4xe minimally, and I think his generalization is meant to start with an implied "with the same configuration."

All of them come with upgrades that are upgrades on other models. If you configure a stock 4xe and a stock rubicon, the 4xe comes with alpine audio+8.4 screen, heavy duty transfer case, and LED lighting. That may not be what you want, which is fine, but if you add those to the rubicon you're still coming out ahead to go with the 4xe because of the tax credit.

I think it sucks that they didn't release this as just an engine option without the extras, because it does limit this jeep to those who are looking at high-optioned trim levels anyway.

Sponsored

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah @Sean L and @Ratiogear I do get that they’re not exactly comparable, what I take issue with is the blanket assertion that the 4xE always makes more sense financially.

Even pound for pound, option for option, a lot of people don’t qualify for that $7500 rebate/credit. And even that rebate/credit itself won’t be around forever. How much economic sense will it make when that $7500 goes away?

KarlN

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited 4XE
Occupation
Retired
How can a hybrid in this day and age only give you 22 miles of electric range? That seems just so damn poor.
The last two times I drove off on my Rubicon 4XE with a full charge I got 25 miles and 26 miles...A tad better than rated. With my 2021 BMW X3E hybrid rated at 18 I am lucky to get the 18 out of it driving it the same way. I think Jeep got ripped off with the 22 rating and would suggest the initial 25 rating to be more real world accurate based on my experience so far. Plugged in and ready to go now, the trip computer suggests I will get 24 this round but I have beat it with the Regen mode in traffic in the past.

KarlN

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited 4XE
Occupation
Retired
Yeah @Sean L and @Ratiogear I do get that they’re not exactly comparable, what I take issue with is the blanket assertion that the 4xE always makes more sense financially.

Even pound for pound, option for option, a lot of people don’t qualify for that $7500 rebate/credit. And even that rebate/credit itself won’t be around forever. How much economic sense will it make when that $7500 goes away?
I get 10K off on mine. 7500 Fed. and 2500 Oregon. A super win!

Ratiogear

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
Which is fair, but I think his statement had a poorly communicated implication attached. I'd refer you to my flow chart for that one. If you aren't already looking at rubicons and saharas, it doesn't make sense at all to be shopping for the 4xe. If you are, it becomes a lot more competitive very quickly. If you are planning on getting either the sound or light package, the 4xe is cheaper after credit.

I don't think there's a ton of overlap of people looking at seriously purchasing 50k cars and people who don't have a 7500 tax liability. 10% down on a 50k car means 45k financed over 5 years at 1% from a credit union is 769$ monthly payment. If you follow the rule of thumb of spending less than 10% of your take home on your car payment, that means a take home of $7500+, which is way over the ~80k benchmark for a dual income to break 7500$ tax liability. I just don't think there's a huge cross section of "can afford to be buying 50k cars" and "pays less than 7500 in taxes."

For those that are in that cross section, there's the leasing deals that give you the 7500 up front reduced cost, which would mean you'd end your 36 months on the positive to either trade or buy at the end.

The rebate won't be around forever, but you'll have 6 months after it ends to utilize it still, then another 6 months at 50% and another 6 months at 25%. Even at 25%, it's more or less a wash vs a similarly specced automatic trans at the same trim level.

I'd assume that jeep plans to release this at lower trim levels if there's demand for it, and once the tax credit is no longer around, it'll just be a 1500-3k premium like the ecodiesel.

AMC_CJ

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe Curious
But I'm pretty sure you would know that if you bothered to read the threads you drop into on the 4xe forums to leave pithy remarks about libtards.

But your history of 4xe posts make it clear you just want to bash it, so I guess whatever makes you happy.

I'm pretty sure you can comfortably ignore any input regarding vehicle choice from someone that openly admits to owning a PT Cruiser...
Sponsored