demisx

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Clubs

Hello everyone. I am new to this forum and enjoy reading it very much. I've never owned a Jeep Wrangler before, though, have been eyeballing it for years. I want to really learn this car and make the mods in the future myself as needed. I enjoy simplicity - manual transmission, no power windows, cruise control etc. So I've built this configuration:

https://www.jeep.com/bmo.wrangler.2...DEM,DMF,Z1F,SDD,TT4,WGM,D5,UAG,X9,PX8,23R,APA

and it turned out to be pretty much a base stock Rubicon build. I've looked at the offered options and didn't really see anything that I thought I'd need right away. My understanding is that I can add any of those later if I want, except, obviously, the big things like changing motor or transmission.

Can you fellows please tell me if I am missing anything here? Is starting with a base build and then adding mods later a wise decision? Someone said on one of the thread that "no one orders Rubicon in a stack configuration" and that got me worried that I might be heading the wrong path. Thank you very much!

UPDATED:

7/9/20:
Added "LED Lighting Group" and "8.4 inch Radio and Premium Audio Group" to the build based on recommendation from @MoparMike: https://www.jeep.com/bmo.wrangler.2...SDD,TT4,WGM,D5,UAQ,AEK,AD6,RC4,X9,PX8,23R,APA
Sponsored

Last edited:

MoparMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler/Gladiator coming soon
Hello everyone. I am new to this forum and enjoy reading it very much. I've never owned a Jeep Wrangler before, though, have been eyeballing it for years. I want to really learn this car and make the mods in the future myself as needed. I enjoy simplicity - manual transmission, no power windows, cruise control etc. So I've built this configuration:

https://www.jeep.com/bmo.wrangler.2...DEM,DMF,Z1F,SDD,TT4,WGM,D5,UAG,X9,PX8,23R,APA

and it turned out to be pretty much a base stock Rubicon build. I've looked at the offered options and didn't really see anything that I thought I'd need right away. My understanding is that I can add any of those later if I want, except, obviously, the big things like changing motor or transmission.

Can you fellows please tell me if I am missing anything here? Is starting with a base build and then adding mods later a wise decision? Someone said on one of the thread that "no one orders Rubicon in a stack configuration" and that got me worried that I might be heading the wrong path. Thank you very much!
I'd recommend to order the LED lighting group and the 8.4. The Halogens suck, so that's why it's smart to order the LEDs. The 8.4 Nav adds off road pages and is a better system in general.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
When you say you can add any of those later do you mean the Jeep options and if so which ones?

OP
OP
demisx

demisx

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Clubs

When you say you can add any of those later do you mean the Jeep options and if so which ones?
I mean the options they are offering to at the build time on jeep.com. For example, can I later upgrade the stock sound system, chairs, LED lights? I don't think I have any interest in any of the other options. I want to drive it for some time first before deciding on what mods I really want. Are there any must haves for 2021 Rubicon?

OP
OP
demisx

demisx

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Clubs

I'd recommend to order the LED lighting group and the 8.4. The Halogens suck, so that's why it's smart to order the LEDs. The 8.4 Nav adds off road pages and is a better system in general.
Good point. Thank you for the recommendation. Sorry, I am not familiar with the Wrangler upgrades process yet and thus this question -- how hard is to make those upgrades later myself? If it's a big deal, then I might as well order them now.

Sponsored

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I mean the options they are offering to at the build time on jeep.com. For example, can I later upgrade the stock sound system, chairs, LED lights? I don't think I have any interest in any of the other options. I want to drive it for some time first before deciding on what mods I really want. Are there any must haves for 2021 Rubicon?
There are some options Jeep offers as an accessory package. It will cost you more to go the add-in route than originally ordering them. And some you can not add after the fact. Some options the dealer needs to flash the vehicle so the computer recignuzes them, abiut $130 each time. It is almost always cheaper to order them up front then to add OEM later.

MoparMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler/Gladiator coming soon
Good point. Thank you for the recommendation. Sorry, I am not familiar with the Wrangler upgrades process yet and thus this question -- how hard is to make those upgrades later myself? If it's a big deal, then I might as well order them now.
The LED's is one thing that you definitely should get, they help so much when driving and it makes the Jeep look better. The 8.4 is your choice, but the Alpine stereo is amazing. It's a big deal to replace the lights, the screen can be done easily, but you won't get Alpine. I would also go for the steel bumpers, they're great to have.

OP
OP
demisx

demisx

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Clubs

The LED's is one thing that you definitely should get, they help so much when driving and it makes the Jeep look better. The 8.4 is your choice, but the Alpine stereo is amazing. It's a big deal to replace the lights, the screen can be done easily, but you won't get Alpine. I would also go for the steel bumpers, they're great to have.
Understood. Added "LED Lighting Group" and "8.4 inch Radio and Premium Audio Group" to my build:

https://www.jeep.com/bmo.wrangler.2...SDD,TT4,WGM,D5,UAQ,AEK,AD6,RC4,X9,PX8,23R,APA