2018 JL soft top options

424hamst

First Name
Kal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Unlimited
We just purchased a new JL unlimited hard top and am curious if anyone has purchased a soft top kit for this new model? Definitely regret not opting for both tops when we got ours. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored

Shamus13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 98 TJ
We just purchased a new JL unlimited hard top and am curious if anyone has purchased a soft top kit for this new model? Definitely regret not opting for both tops when we got ours. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
There will be more options as aftermarket companies release their new designs.
There are 2 different types of soft tops. 1) Framed Tops (like factory with bow system) 2) Frameless Tops.
Both have pro's & con's. price will come down as more become available.

Dual Top option from the factory is the most cost effective but you can easily get aftermarket. Bestop actually makes the factory soft tops

Shamus13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 98 TJ
Correct. But you can pre-order Bestop. Quadratec says it starts shipping June 15th.
But with the shortages I imagine that will be a moving target on shipping date.

Movingday

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
There will be more options as aftermarket companies release their new designs.
There are 2 different types of soft tops. 1) Framed Tops (like factory with bow system) 2) Frameless Tops.
Both have pro's & con's. price will come down as more become available.

Dual Top option from the factory is the most cost effective but you can easily get aftermarket. Bestop actually makes the factory soft tops
What are some of the advantages/disadvantages of the two tops? I love the look of the frameless on the jk, but have never owned a frameless before

Sponsored

Shamus13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 98 TJ
What are some of the advantages/disadvantages of the two tops? I love the look of the frameless on the jk, but have never owned a frameless before
I've never owned a frameless. I believe Quadratec has a video comparing the two. Google / YouTube is your friend.
I believe the frameless are easier to install when converting from a hardtop (no frame to install) & easier to store when running hard top. But the frame tops are more taught / less flutter when driving.

OP
OP
424hamst

424hamst

First Name
Kal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Unlimited
Thank you for the input. I appreciate everyone's comments.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I'm in need of a soft top also.

From what I gather, the frameless tops have straps and zippers and attach directly to the sport bars. For that reason, all of them are going to give you the "fast back" look. I personally don't like it, but some guys love it. However, since the frameless tops have no bows or framework to assemble and install, they are easy to use and are far less expensive to purchase.

The framed tops have more cargo space in the rear because they keep the boxy shape, flap in the wind less, and can be folded down faster since the entire top is attached to the assembly. It all comes down at once, whereas the frameless tops have to be removed in sections for a full open air experience.
Sponsored