2.0 JLUR - anyone NOT using 93?

Freddiejeep

First Name
Freddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JLU 2.0
Anyone not using the recommended premium gas? Is it damaging to the engine?
Sponsored

TXJeepScientist

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 Nissan Pathfinder, 08 Honda Civic, 07 Toyota Avalon, 94 Jeep Cherokee, 10 Saab 9.3T
You opened a can of worms. In other threads about which fuel to use most of the people that replied in the forum seem to be satisfied with 87. There are a handful that prefer 93. I don't have a Wrangler yet, but I'm a believer in running the highest octane possible to keep the fuel lines, injectors, and engine clean. Also, my experience with other vehicles is that I get increased power and improvec mpg.

For me when I do order, I don't know if I want the Turbo 2Litre, but the 4 cylinder engines seem to be very responsive to high octane.

Have a Great Christmas and New Year!

ormandj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR X 4xe
It's a 2L turbo, you want to run 91+. Running 87 is just going to hurt performance and fuel economy. Shell out the extra few bucks per tank, it'll be worth it.

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport HT 2.0T Auto, 2003 TJ Rubicon HT
Vehicle Showcase
2.0L:
This engine is designed to meet all emission regulations, and provide satisfactory fuel economy and performance when using high-quality unleaded “Regular” gasoline having a posted octane number of 87 as specified by the (R+M)/2 method. For optimal performance the use of 91 or higher octane “Premium” gasoline is recommended in these engines.

3.6L:
This engine is designed to meet all emissions regulations and provide excellent fuel economy and performance when using high-quality unleaded “Regular” gasoline having an octane rating of 87 as specified by the (R+M)/2 method. The use of higher octane “Premium” gasoline will not provide any benefit over “Regular” gasoline in these engines.

No engine damage using 87 octane, just reduced performance and MPG.
Sponsored

Last edited: