Sponsored

2.0 etorque battery question.

VXSKAXV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport S
I am ready to pull the trigger and buy a JL Sport S. Question is this, how many of you came from a JK rubicon and had problems with water getting in the electronic sway bar? Dozens and dozens here on the upper Texas coast were constantly rebuilding ours and or full on replacing them. That system was built to fully withstand water submersion but failed so many times. So my concern with the 2.0 engine if we go that route is that the 48v etorque battery is at twelve inches above ground so does anyone know the sealing properties of this unit? A lot of us play in the gulf waters and bayside waters and our area constantly floods on high tide or good rain days and I’m concerned with shorting that sucker out. I know all to well what happens to lithium 18650 batteries when shorted out, they explode. So would I be better with the 3.6 for water play or is everyone confident of this new system when crossing water areas? Any thoughts?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Me and the wifey are ready to pull the trigger and buy a JL Sport S. Question is this, how many of you came from a JK rubicon and had problems with water getting in the electronic sway bar? Dozens and dozens here on the upper Texas coast were constantly rebuilding ours and or full on replacing them. That system was built to fully withstand water submersion but failed so many times. So my concern with the 2.0 engine if we go that route is that the 48v etorque battery is at twelve inches above ground so does anyone know the sealing properties of this unit? A lot of us play in the gulf waters and bayside waters and our area constantly floods on high tide or good rain days and I’m concerned with shorting that sucker out. I know all to well what happens to lithium 18650 batteries when shorted out, they explode. So would I be better with the 3.6 for water play or is everyone confident of this new system when crossing water areas? Any thoughts?
Yea if you plan to splash around in salt-water (not recommended on any vehicle) don’t get the eTorque.

OP
OP

VXSKAXV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport S
Thanks for the reply but any specifics on your thoughts? Unfortunately every vehicle on the island sees saltwater splash or spray everyday here. There are literally thousands of vehicles that need not be on the roads cause they are rotted out so bad. Probably the same with northern states during winter but ours get submerged for long periods of time. One of the many fine coastal life un-benefits. I remember about two years back where we had a Warn Zeon Platinum 10k winch at $2400. It lasted us 4 weeks with constant saltwater submersion. Now keep in mind that the winch is still to this day Warns top of the line waterproof winch guaranteed to work underwater. IP68 rated. But they told me not salt water, lol. Friends are saying that the new JLs can do 30 inches of water at a specific speed? Is that true? If so, surely Jeep took this battery pack into account, right? I just love turbos and the idea of the better fuel savings.

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Find or order your Sport S to get a 2020 model then you can get the 2.0 turbo without e-torque

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
Problem is solved, only Sahara gets the BSG E-TQ, sport S doesnt offer it.

No one can really answer your question since these are so new. I went plain jane 3.6 auto, didnt want the BSG nor the direct injection on the 2.0

did drive a 19 Sahara with the 2.0 and e-tq, it probably had 87 octane in it and it did not feel any quicker to me than my 18 3.6 Sahara, but that could of been better with 91 or 93 octane. the start stop was seemless and much better. however simpler is better IMHO, dont want to deal with all the extra cooling systems and hoses when it is 10 yrs old, look on jeep informant site and he shows the extra cooling/plumbing for the battery, enough for me to pass.

Sponsored

OP
OP

VXSKAXV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport S
Yeah we saw that, the one that was already leaking, horrible horrible design. I’ll check on ordering without the etorque.

Punkindave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0 Turbo Bluebicon, 2020 JLUR 2.0 Turbo (Wife's)
Occupation
ITS Project Manager
In your environment, I'd be more concerned about the frame weld quality and porosity. (Of course rusty frames are nothing new)

OP
OP

VXSKAXV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport S
Ha, TJ’s frames only lasted most owners about 3 years here. We did place an order for the 2.0 non etorque model.
Sponsored