Sponsored

I've probably had the worst experience out of anyone that's received their JL

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Don't let all of these bad things change your mind. Your reading all the worst cases hear because people want to vent. I majority of the owners are not having any issues at all. I even think there is a poll on here somewhere that shows all the happy JL owners. I'm in the same boat as you with this JL being my daily driver. I think I'm just going to hold out for a 2019.
I'm thinking the same thing. Maybe hold out until 2019 hoping known glitches will be worked out by the Factory. Then I hear about the 3.6L BSG mild hybrid being standard starting 2019, which may lead to a whole new set of problems. I currently own a 2017 Accord which is the last model year of the 9th gen. The 2018 Accord is all new so similar situation as the Wrangler. I actually started looking at new JKUs again, but know I'll have buyer's remorse not going with a JLU. Looks like I'll be waiting a little longer. At least my wallet will thank me.
Sponsored

BumpyTrail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock
I'm thinking the same thing. Maybe hold out until 2019 hoping known glitches will be worked out by the Factory. Then I hear about the 3.6L BSG mild hybrid being standard starting 2019, which may lead to a whole new set of problems. I currently own a 2017 Accord which is the last model year of the 9th gen. The 2018 Accord is all new so similar situation as the Wrangler. I actually started looking at new JKUs again, but know I'll have buyer's remorse not going with a JLU. Looks like I'll be waiting a little longer. At least my wallet will thank me.
I totally agree with you on assuming the 2019 will have some of the issues worked out. My understanding on the Belt Start Generator (eTorque) is it’s a bolt-on addition to the same engine? Someone please correct me if I’m wrong! If so it eases some of my concern about potential issues.

Jrbrannan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue 2008 Highlander Hybrid (previously several CJ-7, YJ, TJ, JK)
Vehicle Showcase
I totally agree with you on assuming the 2019 will have some of the issues worked out. My understanding on the Belt Start Generator (eTorque) is it’s a bolt-on addition to the same engine? Someone please correct me if I’m wrong! If so it eases some of my concern about potential issues.
When it comes to FCA I would assume nothing... Especially in respects to reliability.

ekimgnuj

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Cary & Carolina Beach NC; Boston; Port Jeff, NY
Vehicle(s)
'24 JLU Sahara, '18 JLU Sport
Clubs

Update on post #83

You may be familiar with my post about my Electronic Throttle Control failure
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...malfunction-towed-jlur.3739/page-3#post-80999

Here's how everything has unfolded:

Picked up my JLUR on Saturday, 2/10 at 6:00PM, drove it 60 miles home, then took it for a cruise. At 65 miles, throttle goes out while driving, and I pull to the side of the road call Jeep roadside assistance. They send a tow truck that doesn't get there for 2.5 hours. It's raining and now 1:30AM. I uber home.

It sits at the dealership closest to my home (not the one I purchased it from) until Monday morning when I get a call from service letting me know they received my Jeep. The next day, they tell me It's the ECU and it will be a week before they even get the part.

I visited the dealership that I purchased it from and they really didn't seem to care. As long as it was getting fixed, they couldn't care less that my brand new Jeep was in the shop for a week. They asked if I needed a rental, that was the extent of their "customer service". They then referred me to Jeep Cares for any type of support.

In the meantime I notified @JeepCares and they created a case for me and said my case manager would reach out to me within 48 hours. Of course, no call.

Finally pick it up on Friday, 2/16 and take it home. There's a scuff on the passenger's seat and my painted tow hook is scratch badly. I call the dealership and they say it's the towing companies fault and they aren't responsible. They tell me to contact the towing company. Remember, it was Jeep Cares that called for the tow so I don't have the company's name. Saturday morning I take it for a spin and check engine light comes on. It did this just before it broke down last time, so I immediately drove it the 3 miles home.I didn't want to chance it breaking down again on the side of the road. I called Jeep Cares and was told to leave it parked until my case manager (which never called before) reaches out to me on Monday. By the end of day Monday, no call.

I call the Jeep Cares number and get to speak with someone who I guess is now my case manager. He offers to get it towed, which I declined, I'll just take my chances driving it given my previous experience. He also offers to find the tow company's info so that I can call them and shake them down for repair. Yay, more time and effort for me. He also informs me that FCA cannot compensate me for my time/trouble in any way. He puts this responsibility on the dealership that told me the exact opposite. He then calls the dealership and schedules an appointment with me there on the line with him.

I take the Jeep in at 8:00am making sure they have plenty of time to diagnose. At 4:00pm I hadn't heard anything, so I call them. They guy responsible for my Jeep is on the other line and they tell him to call me back. He finally calls back at 6:00pm to inform me that they haven't even touched my Jeep because they were too busy! What's the point of the appointment?!

As of right now I have a $55k Jeep that's been drivable 2 hours out of 11 days of ownership. This is the WORST customer service I have ever had with any product I have ever purchased, especially at this price point. Lemon law in TN is 4 attempts to fix, or thirty days in the shop the first year. I'm halfway there and I pray FCA doesn't wait until I have to enforce state law to make it right.

Am I being unreasonable? Honestly, tell me if I am. I understand it's a new model and problems come up, but what has me really upset is that no one wants to take responsibility, and I'm having to put way too much time and effort into a brand new Jeep.

@JeepCares is there anyway to escalate this to management?

Thanks for reading guys!

*Edit
I forget to mention my speakers went out 5 minutes after leaving the dealership for the entire hour long ride home. Service couldn’t recreate the issue.
Not sure what the law is in your state, but here in NC I think the trigger for the "lemon law" is 20 days out of service in a 12 month period gets you your choice of money back or a new vehicle. I went through the process using an attorney that specializes in lemon law claims when I did a very brief departure from driving nothing but Jeeps for 25 years, it was quick, painless and did not cost me anything. I can't say the name of the manufacturer as part of the settlement, but it was supposed to be a "premium" brand. Hope your problem gets fixed!

Sponsored

BumpyTrail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not sure what the law is in your state, but here in NC I think the trigger for the "lemon law" is 20 days out of service in a 12 month period gets you your choice of money back or a new vehicle. I went through the process using an attorney that specializes in lemon law claims when I did a very brief departure from driving nothing but Jeeps for 25 years, it was quick, painless and did not cost me anything. I can't say the name of the manufacturer as part of the settlement, but it was supposed to be a "premium" brand. Hope your problem gets fixed!
Out-of-curiosity, how were you able to retain a (lemon law) lawyer with no out-of-pocket expense? Does the auto manufacturer have to pay their fees upon successfully completing the process?

ekimgnuj

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Cary & Carolina Beach NC; Boston; Port Jeff, NY
Vehicle(s)
'24 JLU Sahara, '18 JLU Sport
Clubs

Out-of-curiosity, how were you able to retain a (lemon law) lawyer with no out-of-pocket expense? Does the auto manufacturer have to pay their fees upon successfully completing the process?
The attorney's fees were paid by the manufacturer, I had a retainer agreement up front that did not require an agreement, essentially it was like a contingency agreement (no award, no fees) in that regard. I'm no lemon law expert, but I think in some states the manufacturer is responsible for your legal costs if you are forced to hire an attorney to press your claim. Definitely worth checking out the law in your state, if you are having problems - if you know you have a lemon up front, why bother going through weeks or months of warranty work for a $50K+ vehicle?

Turfman

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Well i’ll Put my experience up against yours!

Back in 1987 (that’s before lemon law was completely in effect) I purchased my first Wrangler, you know the one with the first ever retangler head lights? Brand spanking new special order right off the truck black beauty. Boy was she something. Just been married one year and money was tight but we loved it. After the first day I was actually reading the owners manual! It said check the oil after the first hundred miles. Let me stop here and say I was a pretty darn good mechanic at the time and knew my way around the hood! So I go check the oil, problem was there was none on the stick! I called the dealer and sarcastically asked them if they actually put oil in the motor before giving it to me and got the normal response in which I tell them it’s not reading on the stick! IMPOSSIBLE they say, so I ask if they wanted me to drive it over so they can see for themselves! Oh no, you can’t do that, the motor might burn up. IMPOSSIBLE I say because you said it had to have oil in the motor! I was told to put enough in it to get it on the stick and then drive it over. Quart and a half later I pull up and go to service. They read the stick and fill it up and write down the mileage and tell meg it’s ok but to keep an eye out on it. So around two days later and 100 miles I pull back up a quart low again. We repeat this routine in which I am back two days later and then another two days later and another and another. About this time my patience has worn thin an I am no loner walking up to the service desk but just tossing my keys from the middle of the isle telling them to hurry it up.finally they called me into the room to talk, they apologize because for a time they thought I was draining the oil, for some reason but took steps to trap my (I still don’t know what). Found out it was a legit problem. Did not know a solution but to give them another week to look into it. Well the next week I come in for one of my three oil fill ups and I am called back into the office by different people. I am then told that the service department has been taken over by new management! Save the lord, I’m finally getting my truck fixed! Well no Mr Smith, sorry to tell you we have to start your file over from square one!!!! What did you just say? I’ve been coming here every other day for four months while this shop has done nothing! And now your starting over! Yes sir we hope to get to the bottom of this sir! Ok what do you want me to do? Well we will top it off and you need to come back when it is a quart low! Grrrrrrrrr. Ok I’ll see you guys in two days! Two days later I give them my keys and 45minutes later I have a brand new quart of oil in my truck! Bye. Repeat, repeat, repeat but now I am getting ugly with the counter person when I toss my keys to her. I guess it showed because the manager called me back into his office to confront me about my attitude, really! He ask me what they could do to make this a better situation? Give me a new Jeep! No sir we cannot do that! How about giving me a case of oil and let me come back when it is gone and you can write the mileage down then and give me another case of oil! Yes sir that we can do! So after about three more months I am told they are going to rebuild the head on my Jeep because they think the issue is with the head! Remember when I said I was a pretty good mechanic? I told them they are stupid because it cannot possibly be the issue! I have to explain that the only way oil can come out of the head is if it’s burning it or pumping it into the water system and since there is none in the oil and you don’t see blue smoke that is not the problem, but what do I know? A week later I am told to pick up my Jeep it’s ready problem solved. Great I was wrong. Except 100 miles later I’m a quart low again. Back to the dealer every two days. This only lasted a month this time before they finally told me they are replacing the lower block! NO WAY, YOUR JUST REPLACING THE LOWER BLOCK, NOT THE WHOLE ENGINE, your going to put a rebuilt head on a new lower block in a siz month old Jeep that has had problems from day one? Yes sir that’s the step we have to take! Remember when I told you I was a pretty good mechanic? This will not fox the problem I tell them! What do you know sir! I know it’s not leaking the oil or burning or doing whatever you thought the head was doing with it what do you think a new block will solve? Oh well back to a rental car. Three weeks later I can pick it back up and guess what? 100 miles later I need another quart of oil and two days later and two days later but then something changed!
Chrysler booth them out! Well this might finally get me a new Jeep I think. And I’m called into the new managers office to tell me things will be different now. Just come back when you need another quart of oil so we can track the mileage. After two weeks I had as much as I could stand and stormed into the managers office, sorry but I was peed off pretty bad. I unloaded with both barrels about how stupid dealerships shops are to rebuild my engine and everything I went through when it was obvious that the engine was sucking the oil right into the exhaust system all this time like I told two different managements. I must of struck a nerve because they kept my Jeep and jury rigged the emission system and it stopped stealing oil! The mechanic that showed me what the did was actually proud of what they did. Remember when I told you I was a pretty good mechanic? I told him I wanted a new catalytic converter. Scratching his head he said no reason. I said get your manager now! Manager argues with me about the stupidity of it! I tell him “where do you think all that oil has been going to all this time”! I finally told him to put it on the rack and pull the plug out of it and it it’s clean I will leave and he will never see me again! Dig ding ding, music to his ears! Ten minutes later the mechanic is grabbing bags and bags of floor dry to soak up all the oil pouring out of the converter! No wonder my gas mileage was crap! Now I tell him he has to replace my whole exhaust system since it’s obviously full of oil and might catch on fire!

I traded that darn Jeep in a month later on a Honda! At least it did not drink any more oil!

So how does that compare? Sure wish we had the lemon law or I had money to afford a lawyer back then!

BeeLDub

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Willys, 2019 Cherokee Limited
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Well i’ll Put my experience up against yours!

[Story story story...]

I traded that darn Jeep in a month later on a Honda! At least it did not drink any more oil!

So how does that compare? Sure wish we had the lemon law or I had money to afford a lawyer back then!
That was a good read! Thanks for sharing that! Lemon laws help, but it's not easy...

Sponsored

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
I think you're being a little unreasonable. Not with the service you expect, that seems pretty dismal from all aspects. Parts are not gonna be on the shelf for a vehicle that is just rolling off the assembly line. Repairs are going to take a while until dealerships are able to get parts stocked. Hopefully this is just a fluke and the good times start rolling.
Wow I work on a related industry and there is No Way our customers would accept this remark. Parts go ahead of the machines to our dealerships.

White Butte

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan
So I've tried to order the exact same Jeep as a replacement, they want to give me MSRP of mine towards MSRP of a new one. However, since the price increases, the same Jeep is now $750 more, and they are being jerks about, saying those are the rules. Really @JeepCares . I'm about to go the lemon law route and tell them to buy it back and suck it. These jerks are really making me not want a Jeep anymore.
:no::angry::mad: Back to the lack of customer service once again. I would definitely go to my local news station. Around here they get stuff done and real quick. Especially when it goes national! :flag:

White Butte

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan
I guess if we all pick a day to pull over on the shoulder of the interstate, with hazard lights flashing, and the hood raised; maybe that will give the FCA enough bad publicity to do something about it. If I were driving down the interstates and all I saw was 2018 JL's, on the side of the road "broke down", that would probably change my mind about a purchase. Sales would drop drastically and the FCA would no longer be able to brush us to the side. Sales would be impacted.... Oh No! Can't have that something needs to be done.

BumpyTrail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I guess if we all pick a day to pull over on the shoulder of the interstate, with hazard lights flashing, and the hood raised; maybe that will give the FCA enough bad publicity to do something about it. If I were driving down the interstates and all I saw was 2018 JL's, on the side of the road "broke down", that would probably change my mind about a purchase. Sales would drop drastically and the FCA would no longer be able to brush us to the side. Sales would be impacted.... Oh No! Can't have that something needs to be done.
If I had my JL already I would participate in this! Even if my JL was perfect in every way imaginable it’s my opinion FCA should bend over backwards to give every JL owner that same feeling! Jeep drivers are a family in many ways and you always stick up for family. The negative experiences by a small percentage of JL owners really irks me when we see how they’re being treated!
Sponsored