Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon, 2010 Wrangler X, 2014 Mustang GT
Occupation
IT Ops / BizOps
Clubs

The JL's towing capacity is 3500lbs, I have a 2500lb pop-up trailer (loaded) and I enjoy going disbursed camping (so there is some off-roading required). I have avoided using my JL and instead opted for pulling it with my truck (5.4L V8) to not push the towing limits of my Jeep. Any thoughts - am I overreacting here? I'd like to tow it with my Jeep so I can combine Jeeping with camping, but concerned that pulling 2500 over rocks may put too much strain on my V6. Thanks all!
Sponsored

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
It should be totally fine, just follow good towing best practices. I don’t know what those are because I don’t tow regularly, but well, that’s what google is for!

RELBUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ , 22 JLURXR 392
Go for it. How often do you put your truck in 4 low getting to camp?
Put your Jeep in 4 low if you feel like you're stressing it out, and pull your camper without worry.

srt20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Ocean Blue
The JL's towing capacity is 3500lbs, I have a 2500lb pop-up trailer (loaded) and I enjoy going disbursed camping (so there is some off-roading required). I have avoided using my JL and instead opted for pulling it with my truck (5.4L V8) to not push the towing limits of my Jeep. Any thoughts - am I overreacting here? I'd like to tow it with my Jeep so I can combine Jeeping with camping, but concerned that pulling 2500 over rocks may put too much strain on my V6. Thanks all!
I have a JLUR 2.0T and I have no issues at all towing 2500lbs behind it.
I also have a 3.6L in a Durango and the tow capacity is 6200lbs in that. And it tows my 2500lbs setup just fine as well.
I do not have trailer brakes or any sway or weight distribution on that trailer either.

So I feel very confident in saying you will have no issues towing 2500lbs popup behind your Jeep.

Sponsored

KnG818

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon
How big are these rocks?
Like gravel rocks or rock rocks?

OP
OP
bthomp

bthomp

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon, 2010 Wrangler X, 2014 Mustang GT
Occupation
IT Ops / BizOps
Clubs

Thanks all - I appreciate the responses. I live in Colorado, so the terrain that I pull my trailer is somewhat aggressive, definitely crawling over some rocks, but never need more than stock Moab Jeep clearance can readily handle. I always scout before I head down a new path and try to avoid craziness when pulling. I never need 4-low when pulling with my truck, so definitely like that idea as a way to ease the pressure on my Jeep if needed (which I suspect I could gauge by watching the transmission temp?). I do plan to get a brake controller however as coming down from the mountains I definitely don't want my pop-up to be pushing me around.
Sponsored