Sponsored

Mopar Steel Rear Bumper help

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Is there a mod that can be done to the rear bumper to shore it up, so that it doesn't cause these issues? I live close to two great welding shops, I wonder if they can tweak the bumper to be less troublesome?
Pull it off and throw it in the garbage. Best mod you could ever do.
Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
It's a bumper...not a guard
Uh, I could bash my LOD bumpers into a boulder and probably not damage them, but they definitely wouldn't damage my tub. What is it that you think a bumper's job is, especially on a jeep?

¤|||||||¤

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Uh, I could bash my LOD bumpers into a boulder and probably not damage them, but they definitely wouldn't damage my tub. What is it that you think a bumper's job is, especially on a jeep?
How can I put this kindly....anyone who thinks they can go rock bashing with there stock steel bumpers(rubicon or not) is a fool.

¤|||||||¤

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
That's not at all what he said.
He was comparing his LOD and the stock steel bumper, it's exactly what he was saying.

Whether he was referring to the mounts(which is the issue) is a different story, but he didnt mention that.

All I'm saying is the stock steel bumpers weren't designed to get smashed on rocks.

"Uh, I could bash my LOD bumpers into a boulder and probably not damage them, but they definitely wouldn't damage my tub. What is it that you think a bumper's job is, especially on a jeep?"

Last edited:

Sponsored

¤|||||||¤

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
That's not at all what he said.
"Yeah. The rear steel bumper does more damage than protection."

Will only do damage if you slam it on rocks or drop the rear end hard on something.

Again, is not what stock steel was built for.

The Rubicon stock is one crazy offroading machine...but if you want to rock crawl and push it to the limits you need to upgrade everything.

Isnt that common sense, I mean come on.

stallbrk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
I just got back from Moab... my rear corners paint is all damaged from exactly this! Coming off ledges and hitting the bumper, it presses up into the body.
Those damn support brackets that hold the close-out panels are usually what comes in contact with the body. Hit it hard enough and the entire bumper will lift. Once I hit the trails, I’ll change out the steel rear bumper. We only have a 1,000 miles on her right now so mods haven’t been added. Soon!!

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
He was comparing his LOD and the stock steel bumper, it's exactly what he was saying.

Whether he was referring to the mounts(which is the issue) is a different story, but he didnt mention that.

All I'm saying is the stock steel bumpers weren't designed to get smashed on rocks.

"Uh, I could bash my LOD bumpers into a boulder and probably not damage them, but they definitely wouldn't damage my tub. What is it that you think a bumper's job is, especially on a jeep?"
The point I was trying to make is that the steel rear bumper is garbage and provides no benefit over the plastic one. In fact most would argue the plastic one is better because at least it won't destroy your paint from a very small impact. The only reason I even mentioned my bumpers is because YOU said "it's a bumper, not a guard".

¤|||||||¤

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
The point I was trying to make is that the steel rear bumper is garbage and provides no benefit over the plastic one. In fact most would argue the plastic one is better because at least it won't destroy your paint from a very small impact. The only reason I even mentioned my bumpers is because YOU said "it's a bumper, not a guard".
...and I'll say it again, it's a bumper not a rock guard.

Dont want your tub damaged and your stock rear bumper pushed in? Dont slam it on rocks and boulders lol

No, the plastic bumpers are not better than the steel ones that's nonsense.

If your doing crazy rock crawling or risky offroading upgrade your stock steel. Just the same as upgrading everything else on the Jeep.

**edit: I bet you, on level ground if you were to back into something straight on, the bumper would hold pretty well. It was not designed to take a hit from underneath(which is why you need to upgrade if your going to be exposing it to that risk)

Last edited:

HuckleMonster

First Name
Gerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 392, 2023 TRX
...and I'll say it again, it's a bumper not a rock guard.
Sure it is. Why would you think otherwise, especially on a rubicon.

Rubicons come with sliders that are made for the rocks, low gearing made for the rocks, high fenders and off road tires all made for off roading. There are rocks out there. Jeep spent a ton of money on engineering the Jl, especially the Rubicon to gear it toward people who would take it rock crawling. It's not unforseen that the stock steel bumper will hit a rock.

Why they didn't make a better design for it is the question. It shouldn't be hitting the fender and damaging the tub, while rock crawling. After all, the plastic one doesn't.

Sponsored

¤|||||||¤

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Sure it is. Why would you think otherwise, especially on a rubicon.

Rubicons come with sliders that are made for the rocks, low gearing made for the rocks, high fenders and off road tires all made for off roading. There are rocks out there. Jeep spent a ton of money on engineering the Jl, especially the Rubicon to gear it toward people who would take it rock crawling. It's not unforseen that the stock steel bumper will hit a rock.

Why they didn't make a better design for it is the question. It shouldn't be hitting the fender and damaging the tub, while rock crawling. After all, the plastic one doesn't.
Full disclaimer: 98% of the reason why I browse this forum is for entertainment...Gods honest truth.

Hearing a few of you folks argue that the stock steel bumper should be some kind of rock basher...is by far the most entertaining one yet.:CWL:

And btw, rock sliders like you mention makes it capable yes.
But to be FULLY capable you need to upgrade. I.e., bumpers, skid plates, lift kit, tires, etc..

The Rubicon is a serious off roading machine..but by no means a rock crawler stock

HuckleMonster

First Name
Gerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 392, 2023 TRX
Full disclaimer: 98% of the reason why I browse this forum is for entertainment...Gods honest truth.

Hearing a few of you folks argue that the stock steel bumper should be some kind of rock basher...is by far the most entertaining one yet.:CWL:

But to be FULLY capable you need to upgrade. I.e., bumpers, skid plates, lift kit, tires, etc..

The Rubicon is a serious off roading machine..but by no means a rock crawler stock(or a buggy)

I don't know, I've done some pretty serious rock crawling in my JL, have the stock bumpers, bashed the front and rear on rocks. Front has as small dent/scratch. Rear has a grapefruit sized indent in the corner. No body damage though. Front is steel, rear is plastic.

Keep listening to the aftermarket though, they need your cash. I spend my money on equipment that I think my jeep needs, not what some forum troll tells me it needs. But you do you.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU

The Rubicon is a serious off roading machine..but by no means a rock crawler stock
Let me guess, you must have the steel bumpers. It's ok, I bought them too. The difference is I quickly realized they were a giant waste of money. Your problem is anything you have MUST be great. I have bought things that I feel aren't as good as they could be and I'm not afraid to say so.

¤|||||||¤

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Let me guess, you must have the steel bumpers. Your problem is anything you have MUST be great. I have bought things that I feel aren't as good as they could be and I'm not afraid to say so.
Yes, I do have the steel bumpers and yes I think they are great actually...but not for rock crawling.

have goodnight fellow Jeeper, I'm out