Sponsored

Power steering fluid help?

HiJinx69

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited JL, 2014 Mazda 6, 2010 Honda Odyssey, Yamaha FZ-09
I need some guidance on filling my empty power steering reservoir. I finally got my Jeep back with a new power steering box. But, discovered that the power steering reservoir is bone dry! They either forgot to fill it, or it leaked out. I think it was the first.

Question is, can I just fill it to the proper level, or is it more involved? Since it is a closed system, like the braking system, trapped air could be an issue. Is bleeding involved similar to when you bleed the brakes? Any help would be greatly appreciated! This is a major fail on part of the dealer!

Thanks!
Sponsored

OP
OP
HiJinx69

HiJinx69

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited JL, 2014 Mazda 6, 2010 Honda Odyssey, Yamaha FZ-09
Please disregard. Taken care of. Thanks.

OP
OP
HiJinx69

HiJinx69

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How? Did you take it back to dealer?

Didn’t the dealer have to test drive your vehicle after replacing the steering box?
Yes, they did test drive it. I was just going to fill it up myself, but didn't want to take the risk of being blamed for anything. Went straight to the dealer and they claimed it just needed to be topped off. Took 2 minutes. I told them there better not be any damage due to air or lack of fluid, they said there was none. It seems to work fine. I know they rushed this job, it was their first steering box replacement. But seriously, no fluid?

cmcclintock

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Yes, they did test drive it. I was just going to fill it up myself, but didn't want to take the risk of being blamed for anything. Went straight to the dealer and they claimed it just needed to be topped off. Took 2 minutes. I told them there better not be any damage due to air or lack of fluid, they said there was none. It seems to work fine. I know they rushed this job, it was their first steering box replacement. But seriously, no fluid?
Did having the dealership replace the steering box resolve the issue?

Sponsored

OP
OP
HiJinx69

HiJinx69

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did having the dealership replace the steering box resolve the issue?
Yes, in my case, but apparently others had there software reset or updated that seem to have fixed it. Depending on the case. So many are waiting for steering boxes, backordered like crazy!

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
You sure it was empty? I looked at mine today. Level is just barely over the screen inside the reservoir. Yours was even lower?

OP
OP
HiJinx69

HiJinx69

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You sure it was empty? I looked at mine today. Level is just barely over the screen inside the reservoir. Yours was even lower?
Completely empty. Not a drop.
Sponsored