Hard top vs soft top headroom

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Hi guys,

Just drove the JLU. I’m 6’5 and noticed that I have little to no headroom. I have about a half inch from hitting my head on the hard top and I have to sit differently than I would to avoid the roll cage.

Does anyone know if the soft top has more headroom? Does anyone know if any workaround has been found? I found misch big boy brackets but read they actually lift the chair. Any after market parts that lower the chair?

Thanks in advance
Sponsored

u00bgg2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Hi guys,

Just drove the JLU. I’m 6’5 and noticed that I have little to no headroom. I have about a half inch from hitting my head on the hard top and I have to sit differently than I would to avoid the roll cage.

Does anyone know if the soft top has more headroom? Does anyone know if any workaround has been found? I found misch big boy brackets but read they actually lift the chair. Any after market parts that lower the chair?

Thanks in advance
I think you might have some adjustments out of wack, I am 6'4 and the one benefit I can say is the head room. I have the seat all the way down, all the way back, and a little lean back. I bet I have 3-4 inch.

OP
OP
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Hmmm, I spent 20 minutes with myself and wife changing all the settings. I guess my torso may just be longer than yours.

Gregodav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 2014, Solstice 2007, 1993 GMC Pick-up
Occupation
I. T. Director and Video Director
I am 6'7" and there is a major problem the Headroom. I am going to remove the driver's seat and remove a couple of inches of seat bracket.
(I have friends with a welding torch.)
I will probably have to wait until after I can order the bracket that allows me to move the seat back a couple inches before I start my choppin'.

JASPER

First Name
Wayolife Sucks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon and 2014 JK 2dr
I have both tops. Picked her up with hard top on.. plenty head room!!

Sponsored

JASPER

First Name
Wayolife Sucks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon and 2014 JK 2dr
I haven't put soft top on yet. But if anything like my 2014 it really wasn't a difference

Gregodav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 2014, Solstice 2007, 1993 GMC Pick-up
Occupation
I. T. Director and Video Director
If you are hitting the sports bar (heavy plastic piece) behind your head, then you will have the same issue in both.

If you are hitting the headliner of the hardtop then select the soft top.

For me, the primary issue was the sports bar. So the best solution is to customize the seat bracket.

At 6'7" I fit in a lot of cars. I always have an easier fit if I have a soft top.
I have owned a ton of convertibles: two Mustangs, Chrysler Lebarron, and my other car is a Pontiac Solstice just so I could fit.
I always prefer to take the top off just to make egress entry easier.

BDJeep1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon on order
In my JK, the soft top had more room but I know they redesigned both tops in the JL. Don't have one yet but I am going to guess the soft top has a bit more headroom.
Sponsored