Sponsored

Wheel & Tire weight

BayouBeauty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew 4x4 EcoDiesel
We have all seen the hype, 20” wheels are for mall crawlers. My question is based more on scientific data vs personal preference.

Is the overall weight heavier with a 35” tire on a 17” wheel vs the same model tire on a 20” wheel? Which is less rotating mass for less strain on components. I ask because my wife’s rig will only ever see pavement or hard packed trails, no rocks and no mud.

But the wife wants the aggressive “look” while I don’t want to break an axle for looks. TIA
Sponsored

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
Which specific wheels ant tires, you question is too subjective there is a variable in what different tires and wheels weight in any given size.

You should have no problem finding wights of specific tires and wheels online.

Ruiner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
We have all seen the hype, 20” wheels are for mall crawlers. My question is based more on scientific data vs personal preference.

Is the overall weight heavier with a 35” tire on a 17” wheel vs the same model tire on a 20” wheel? Which is less rotating mass for less strain on components. I ask because my wife’s rig will only ever see pavement or hard packed trails, no rocks and no mud.

But the wife wants the aggressive “look” while I don’t want to break an axle for looks. TIA
If you go on discount tires website they will tell you rim and tire weight estimates, not sure how close they are but it would be a place to start. Weight was one of the big things I looked at when choosing my wheel and tire setup, if discount tire is correct then my 37" tires with 17x9 rims will weigh about 103lbs each but I will weigh them when I get them.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Any 20” wheel/tire combo will weigh more than the same 17” combo. Also as you alluded to, the weight is pushed out farther away from the rotational axis which requires more force to turn it.

OP
OP

BayouBeauty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew 4x4 EcoDiesel
Ok so I had to do some digging which is why I originally asked thinking someone already did the research. But here is what I came up with

Wheel Ultra Apocalypse 236 + 33 x 12.5 BFG KO2 (E)

The 18” setup above is 36 + 62.48 = 98lbs
The 20” setup above is 43 + 62.41 = 105lbs

This of course is referencing weight specs from Ultra for the wheels and BFG for the tire.
Sponsored