Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
I hear ya...I prob wouldnt mind not washing it if it was a wknd play vehicle, but it's a 25k mile/yr daily driver.
Daily driver for me as well. But more along 15kish a year.
Sponsored

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Daily driver for me as well. But more along 15kish a year.
I have a close friend who pitched to me...if I want to get into offroading, it would make better long term financial sense to trade the jl while it's in good shape with low miles for a $15k 5 yr old 4 banger honda accord daily driver getting 30mpg and cheap to maintain. Then take the $20k left over and buy a 10 yr old lifted 2 door jk rubi for $15k for a wknd toy. That way you dont have to be cautious offroad worrying about damaging a $40k daily driver and can try tougher trails with alot less at stake. I doubt I could do it bc of sweat equity put into the jl...but it does seem to make sense. Thoughts?

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I have a close friend who pitched to me...if I want to get into offroading, it would make better long term financial sense to trade the jl while it's in good shape with low miles for a $15k 5 yr old 4 banger honda accord daily driver getting 30mpg and cheap to maintain. Then take the $20k left over and buy a 10 yr old lifted 2 door jk rubi for $15k for a wknd toy. That way you dont have to be cautious offroad worrying about damaging a $40k daily driver and can try tougher trails with alot less at stake. I doubt I could do it bc of sweat equity put into the jl...but it does seem to make sense. Thoughts?
I'm not sure where you could find a Lifted JK for only 15k. At least one that runs and isn't a total beater.

Edit: after looking at your vehicle setup, I'd say you've got a lot leaning towards keeping your current JL rather than trading for a pair of beaters.

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
I'm not sure where you could find a Lifted JK for only 15k. At least one that runs and isn't a total beater.

Edit: after looking at your vehicle setup, I'd say you've got a lot leaning towards keeping your current JL rather than trading for a pair of beaters.
Yeah...I would take a big hit trading mine at this point. I've taken it offroad about once a month and have been conservative, but am building up confidence to do tougher trails. It seems like folks are frequently damaging/breaking things when they push it...seems to be a blurry line.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah...I would take a big hit trading mine at this point. I've taken it offroad about once a month and have been conservative, but am building up confidence to do tougher trails. It seems like folks are frequently damaging/breaking things when they push it...seems to be a blurry line.
I think there's the mentality of going for the most extreme obstacle immediately, rather than getting to know what the Jeep can and can't do. There are certain things at windrock that I know will tear my running boards off, and I will bypass those parts. The Jeep has really surprised me with what it can do right out of the factory so I'll be happy off road, but not if I destroy it going for a huge rock that obviously surpasses the capabilities of a Sahara.

Sponsored

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
I think there's the mentality of going for the most extreme obstacle immediately, rather than getting to know what the Jeep can and can't do. There are certain things at windrock that I know will tear my running boards off, and I will bypass those parts. The Jeep has really surprised me with what it can do right out of the factory so I'll be happy off road, but not if I destroy it going for a huge rock that obviously surpasses the capabilities of a Sahara.
Agreed...I've been surprised how much lockers improve traction....had open differentials for 6 months before adding jlur axles. I've locked the rear on a few climbs and in some mud and noticed a meaningful difference with ko2's which arent good in the mud. Check out this basic off camber climb that is slick when muddy. I locked the rear and easily walked up with tires caked. Going back down the hill, I slid into the middle of the mud hole and spun through it.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Agreed...I've been surprised how much lockers improve traction....had open differentials for 6 months before adding jlur axles. I've locked the rear on a few climbs and in some mud and noticed a meaningful difference with ko2's which arent good in the mud. Check out this basic off camber climb that is slick when muddy. I locked the rear and easily walked up with tires caked. Going back down the hill, I slid into the middle of the mud hole and spun through it.

pretty cool. Your 4Runner buddy came in hot!

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
pretty cool. Your 4Runner buddy came in hot!
Yep...he has mud terrains with limited slip differentials, so he has to use some momentum. I'm sold on lockers...prob been the most meaningful upgrade in terms of improving capability.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Good Morning. Unfortunately I will not be able to make the trip on the 9th. My brother's family won't be in town and He's been wanting to go to windrock with me ever since I got the Jeep. It would just be cruel of me to go without him, so I'm postponing my own trip up there till a little later in the Month. I hope y'all have a good time on the 9th though!

b1er

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubicon, '18 JL Sport, 1980 El Camino, 1969 Olds 442
Expedition JL will be at Windrock on the 16th and 17th... wait a week and go to that, maybe it'll dry up... I just bought my tickets.

Sponsored

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
Expedition JL will be at Windrock on the 16th and 17th... wait a week and go to that, maybe it'll dry up... I just bought my tickets.
I’ll be gone to Thailand from the 11th to the 21st. I’m hoping it won’t be too bad out there next weekend.

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
I’ll be gone to Thailand from the 11th to the 21st. I’m hoping it won’t be too bad out there next weekend.
I live in TN 90 miles from Windrock and enjoy keeping up with the weather. Most of East TN had near record rain last yr(Chattanooga had 68") and over 15" of rain YTD 2019 with 4" of rain in the last week. Another 1" is coming today and then it's gonna be dry and cold until more rain is forecasted Fri, Sat and Sun. Schools were cancelled a day last week due to flooding and the ground is saturated. We need atleast 5 days of sun to dry things out on the trail at this point. In summary, you better have solid mud terrains, lockers and a snorkel is recommended...gonna be a mudfest! :like::jk::flag:

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
I live in TN 90 miles from Windrock and enjoy keeping up with the weather. Most of East TN had near record rain last yr(Chattanooga had 68") and over 15" of rain YTD 2019 with 4" of rain in the last week. Another 1" is coming today and then it's gonna be dry and cold until more rain is forecasted Fri, Sat and Sun. Schools were cancelled a day last week due to flooding and the ground is saturated. We need atleast 5 days of sun to dry things out on the trail at this point. In summary, you better have solid mud terrains, lockers and a snorkel is recommended...gonna be a mudfest! :like::jk::flag:
Thanks for the local insight. There may be a better time to go. We’ll have to talk about it and make a decision. Appreciate it man!

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Thanks for the local insight. There may be a better time to go. We’ll have to talk about it and make a decision. Appreciate it man!
Sure thing...I wouldnt bring it up normally, but it's been a gamechanger...especially for offroading. I'm 37 and dont recall that it's ever been this wet over a 6 month period.

Crawdad1028

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 6 speed with rubi axles, lockers, RCVs, trusses, and 5.13s
Vehicle Showcase
I live in Knoxville TN I was going to go to windrock two weeks ago in the peak of the rain. We all cancelled because it was so wet we didn't want to wreck the trails, but we couldn't have gone anyway because the road to the park was under 5 ft of water. We've had a few dry days but it's supposed to rain all day Friday and Saturday now. I'll be at windrock Saturday but as a spectator for the Rock bouncing event. Going back the next week to ride at EJL. If you go this week it's going to be wet! Also hurricane Creek is a fun trail. (Not sues how it's fared with the rain)
Sponsored