First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
Medical Devices
Well personally if I had job where I sold you something I would try to be the best expert possible about those products. I mean it is not even hard just hang out around here or read the specs.

Just makes you a better salesmen and it literally is not difficult even with the plethora of jeep types!
I'm in sales and I spend about half my time studying or training on my products in one way or another. I have to be an expert in my field, but that is because I am selling to people with expert level knowledge.

If I were selling to the public it would be an entirely different scenario, as it seems to be with auto sales. Enthusiasts know what they want, the rest don't really care.

I don't think it's unreasonable to have some expectation of competence from your salesperson, and props to them if they actually know what they are talking about. But I doubt they benefit much if they spend a lot of time becoming an expert.
Sponsored

west tex

First Name
Skoro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2dr 80th Edition, 2017 Renegade Trailhawk
Occupation
Retired, as in "Tired again"
In my experience, it's rare to find a sales rep at a dealership (any brand) who knows more than the bare minimum about the vehicles they're selling. I could look at a sales brochure and know more in just a few minutes. I've encountered exceptions, but they're rare.

So, what to do?

Go in prepared. Know what you want and don't depend on the sales guy/gal to get it right, because they just might not. Have your specs in hand, printed out from the manufacturer's "build and price" webpage. It'll be your vehicle, so make sure it's put together the way you want it.

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
Well personally if I had job where I sold you something I would try to be the best expert possible about those products. I mean it is not even hard just hang out around here or read the specs.

Just makes you a better salesmen and it literally is not difficult even with the plethora of jeep types!
Just because you would put in the effort doesn't mean others want to or even need to.

When it comes to commodity sales like cars, the most effective sales people learn about people and how to convince them to sign on the bottom line. Learning about the product is pretty far down on the list to accomplish that in car sales.

It's hard for enthusiasts to understand that others aren't enthusiastic like them. But it's true.

Brandonhgt

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 4xe
Our 4xe will be the 5th new car we have purchased new. We previously bought a new camry, maxima, armada, and a chevy ss. I have always been much more knowledgable than any of the sales people during these transactions due to my spending countless hours pouring over every video, article, and forum/fb group available for these vehicles.

I do not hold this against any of the salespeople, and have never had any negative interactions based on me being more knowledgable. I do not hold this against them and consider it my responsibility to perform due diligence before making these purchases. They usually think i am weird for spending so much time researching them beforehand, and are happy to try to find answers to any questions i may have.

I did the same thing before ordering the 4xe too. Read and watched about them as i could. In this case, our Salesman also happens to be very knowledgable and it has been another positive interaction.

FloridaLarry

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubi 4xe
Occupation
IT Manager
I work in the plumbing industry and personally hate when people ask for a salesMAN. I know more about plumbing than most men in the field and I love to prove that point given the opportunity. It's a shame that the salesPERSON then didn't know enough to help you. I relish the opportunity to shame men for asking for a man 😂
"I work in the plumbing industry" - I noticed you didn't say "I'm a plumber". Can I assume that ALL the plumbers in your company are men? ;)

Also, I'm not the OP if you thought I was. In my example, the woman who ended up helping me was actually very helpful and knowledgeable. I just ended up deciding against a Land Rover Defender (what was I thinking?).

Sponsored

rikity

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited
I've been selling Jeep going into my 10th year. We dont call it the JLURD, this thread is the first time I've seen it referred to as that. I've been through a number of offsite training classes in my area and have met 1000's of other sales people that end up there. Generally you see them maybe a couple more times, then they've moved on. Turnover rate on this position is pretty serious, most people move on within 3-6 months. The odds of anyone here getting someone that knows more about Jeep Wranglers than yourself is pretty slim.

FCA/Stellantis has a lot of required online and in person classes that cover all the information. It takes a while to get through it all and its a ton of information to memorize. The only way to really learn any of it is to live and breathe the unit when its on the ground, we havent had much of anything for months. People from this forum would be considered a "Premium Buyer" and they have specific training for that too, the funny thing is what they want and what can be delivered in real life are different things. You are right that maybe they dont have as many experienced people because of stock. Think about people that started 3 months ago and have never seen a 4xe in person? Those are more common than the diesel, I dont work for the biggest store but we've only had 3 diesels run through here since they've been out, 2 were orders and one was for stock. I'm of course familiar with the motor itself since it was on the Ram 1500 and the Grand Cherokee.

I guess the point here is if you walk into a dealership and tell them you want a JLURD and want to be upset that nobody knows what youre talking about, you've certainly proven that you know more about it than everyone else. This happens all the time, I learn something new myself every day. Just to dumb it down so all of us out here understand what we're doing, just say Wrangler Rubicon 4 door Diesel. ;)

Edit: Had to look it up but if you really want to show off, the actual build code is: JLJS74 - 26R

Last edited:

thereisonly1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
I've been selling Jeep going into my 10th year. We dont call it the JLURD, this thread is the first time I've seen it referred to as that. I've been through a number of offsite training classes in my area and have met 1000's of other sales people that end up there. Generally you see them maybe a couple more times, then they've moved on. Turnover rate on this position is pretty serious, most people move on within 3-6 months. The odds of anyone here getting someone that knows more about Jeep Wranglers than yourself is pretty slim.

FCA/Stellantis has a lot of required online and in person classes that cover all the information. It takes a while to get through it all and its a ton of information to memorize. The only way to really learn any of it is to live and breathe the unit when its on the ground, we havent had much of anything for months. People from this forum would be considered a "Premium Buyer" and they have specific training for that too, the funny thing is what they want and what can be delivered in real life are different things. You are right that maybe they dont have as many experienced people because of stock. Think about people that started 3 months ago and have never seen a 4xe in person? Those are more common than the diesel, I dont work for the biggest store but we've only had 3 diesels run through here since they've been out, 2 were orders and one was for stock. I'm of course familiar with the motor itself since it was on the Ram 1500 and the Grand Cherokee.

I guess the point here is if you walk into a dealership and tell them you want a JLURD and want to be upset that nobody knows what youre talking about, you've certainly proven that you know more about it than everyone else. This happens all the time, I learn something new myself every day. Just to dumb it down so all of us out here understand what we're doing, just say Wrangler Rubicon 4 door Diesel. ;)

Edit: Had to look it up but if you really want to show off, the actual build code is: JLJS74 - 26R
Here is the model for my Jeep in the database:
Jeep Wrangler JL Foolish salesperson 1632176645840

JLJS74, just like you said

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
I work in the plumbing industry and personally hate when people ask for a salesMAN. I know more about plumbing than most men in the field and I love to prove that point given the opportunity. It's a shame that the salesPERSON then didn't know enough to help you. I relish the opportunity to shame men for asking for a man 😂
I don't relish shaming anyone based on gender, but that's just this guy's opinion.

Mabar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2-Door
did you really ask for a JLURD? Unless you’re on forums that’s not a common phrase. Perhaps 4 door rubicon diesel would be a better start?
I have been on these Wrangler forums for many years. I have owned five new Wranglers starting in 2001, four of them were Rubicons.

I consider myself quite knowledgeable about Jeep Wranglers.

I did not know what a JLURD was.

Don't blame the dealer salesperson for not knowing what a JLURD was.

Sponsored

JeezAJeep

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Baja..2019 BMW X2
Hi, I am your salesman...let me talk to my manager to get this deal going

Deleted member 59498

Just ask to see the diesel Jeep’s. They won’t have any and they’ll try to sell you a Ram pickup instead.
I asked to order one and he tried to sell me a used 4xe! "Why do you need a diesel?? I got a barely used 4xe!"

I was like never mind.

JeepDave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2D Sport, V6, Manual Transmission
I asked to order one and he tried to sell me a used 4xe! "Why do you need a diesel?? I got a barely used 4xe!"

I was like never mind.
Yep. I was looking for my 2-door soft top, & they kept telling me about their 4-door hard tops…

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Any salesperson who tries to talk the average Wrangler buyer out of buying a diesel is doing a great service. There is such a narrow, narrow, narrow slice of owners for which a diesel will be the best fit. And if those would prob be better served by a non-diesel model when it comes time to deal with service and warranty work.

Deleted member 59498

Any salesperson who tries to talk the average Wrangler buyer out of buying a diesel is doing a great service. There is such a narrow, narrow, narrow slice of owners for which a diesel will be the best fit. And if those would prob be better served by a non-diesel model when it comes time to deal with service and warranty work.
That was not the case and how I am served by my Jeep is probably best known by me.
Sponsored